HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The Marc Bergevin Experience (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1378813)

bib 03-18-2013 12:58 AM

The Marc Bergevin Experience

Was going to post this in the Therrien thread, but it's clear that Marc should have his own thread.

Get the sense that Marc Bergevin is somebody who takes locker room chemistry very seriously.

Being a big team player, think that in his mind, Therrien is the type of coach that he'd love to play for.

However, it's apparent that locker room chemistry is not the sole key aspect to a winning team.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0502...vin_mb_600.jpg
"Mark's a good looking guy... let's face it" - PK Subban

Love the coaching staff

MasterDecoy 03-18-2013 02:02 AM

sharp dresser too

Nicko999 03-18-2013 03:08 AM

I say we trade him while he still has value.

:sarcasm:

PricePkPatch 03-18-2013 03:36 AM

Man, I had a weird dream last night where he joined the bench mid-game fully dressed up and went on to score a goal.

The roleplayer in me probably also added the part where he stole some of the memorabilia equipment held in memory of the Great Canadiens (Maurice's skates, Beliveau's stick), and this gave him super playing skills...

..... eh. I've had weirder dreams.

bras meurtris 03-18-2013 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PricePkPatch (Post 61875607)
Man, I had a weird dream last night where he joined the bench mid-game fully dressed up and went on to score a goal.

The roleplayer in me probably also added the part where he stole some of the memorabilia equipment held in memory of the Great Canadiens (Maurice's skates, Beliveau's stick), and this gave him super playing skills...

..... eh. I've had weirder dreams.

:laugh:

Beautiful.

PricePkPatch 03-18-2013 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rightdownhate (Post 61875641)
:laugh:

Beautiful.

Eh. It would make a cool comic book, wouldn't it? MB/The Visored Habs as a Bruce Wayne/Batman like relationships.

habs03 03-18-2013 08:31 AM

The only knock on him was the lack of experience, so what does he do, hires Rick Dudley, and keeps Larry Carriere as Ast GM's, two guys that got a lot of experience.

Lshap 03-18-2013 08:42 AM

One of Marc's real strengths is his sense of humour. People like this guy because by all accounts he's very funny. How does that help the team? Enormously, actually. In hockey as in life, you much prefer dealing with likeable people. You'll give the cool guy the contract over the stuffy guy because you like his company better. Marc Bergevin is the cool guy that everyone likes and wants to hang with. That is an absolutely huge advantage over the Pierre Gauthiers of the world when it comes to horse-trading with fellow GMs or contract-haggling with players.

Hockey, like business, like your old high-school, is about hanging with the popular crowd. We're much more likely to land a better deal and better players because Bergevin's well-liked.

Nedved 03-18-2013 08:43 AM

I think he's overrated, and this is gauthier's team, outside Jacques Martin which was the smartest move to be made it is all gauthier.

remember the subban fiasco? people were freaking out.

he's alright, gauthier really set this team up; especially with the draft.

I still prefer cole's style of play to ryder's but that's short-term thinking because ryder will not be here next year.

Craig71 03-18-2013 09:00 AM

He looks like a cast member from "Spartacus".:)

BobbyFischer* 03-18-2013 09:05 AM

Mark Bergeron is a beauty

Saundies 03-18-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nedved (Post 61878471)
I think he's overrated, and this is gauthier's team, outside Jacques Martin which was the smartest move to be made it is all gauthier.

remember the subban fiasco? people were freaking out.

he's alright, gauthier really set this team up; especially with the draft.

I still prefer cole's style of play to ryder's but that's short-term thinking because ryder will not be here next year.

I wouldn't say this is solely Gauthier's team; it has fingerprints from all three of Gauthier, BG and MB. But as much as I hated the guy, I will give him his due as most of the moves he did end up doing went to helping the team. It was more of the vibe he put other there and the culture he set up around the organization that the team didn't do well last year, and everything turned into a circus.

Marc is awesome. He's outgoing and he seems like he really knows what he wants to do in terms of his plan. He's earned my trust so far. We all know no GM is perfect though, and he's gonna mess up. Let's just hope the good outweighs the bad.

Craig71 03-18-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyFischer (Post 61878961)
Mark Bergeron is a beauty

I agree, he looks much better than Marc Bergevin.:)

JSBach 03-18-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saundies (Post 61878963)
We all know no GM is perfect though, and he's gonna mess up. Let's just hope the good outweighs the bad.

Which is what a lot of hockey fans refuse to acknowledge when it happens.

Coldplay 03-18-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig71 (Post 61879211)

Well done.

SB164 03-18-2013 11:49 AM

This sealed the deal for me.

Moroccan 03-18-2013 11:54 AM

MB is a handsome dude :D
It's hard not to like him.. even if we don't make the playoffs :sarcasm:

BobbyFischer* 03-18-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig71 (Post 61879211)

But not as good as Markus Bergensson

overlords 03-18-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SB164 (Post 61885375)

Man, that clip gets me every damn time. As someone who lost a parent young and only a few years ago, I really related to him when he was talking about bringing the cup to the cemetary. As irrational as it seems, that clip made him the favorite for the job in my book.

Sorinth 03-18-2013 04:01 PM

Looking at his big choices so far I would give him

Coach (A): I didn't like it at the time but clearly he made the right call.
UFAs (B+): They've worked out great but I can't give an A without top-flight talent
Subban (C-): Should've signed Subban long-term on the cheap(er) when we had the chance.
Gomez (B): Was the obvious move.
Cole/Ryder (B): Still have to see how Ryder performs in the playoffs and what the extra cap space will lead to. Could become a B+ or A-
Desharnais (B-): Not a fan of the term, but did well on the money.

Overall Grade B.

Phil Parent 03-18-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Damn, I had never seen this before... wow. I'm tearing up.

Richiebottles 03-18-2013 04:09 PM

Awesome GM. Has the best team in the East right now and has a LOADED prospect cupboard. This guy will bring us to a cup in less than 5 years for sure.

BobbyFischer* 03-18-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

This is the vid that got Therrien his job @ 06:40.. :nod::nod::nod:

Stripper 03-18-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorinth (Post 61897909)
Looking at his big choices so far I would give him

Coach (A): I didn't like it at the time but clearly he made the right call.
UFAs (B+): They've worked out great but I can't give an A without top-flight talent
Subban (C-): Should've signed Subban long-term on the cheap(er) when we had the chance.
Gomez (B): Was the obvious move.
Cole/Ryder (B): Still have to see how Ryder performs in the playoffs and what the extra cap space will lead to. Could become a B+ or A-
Desharnais (B-): Not a fan of the term, but did well on the money.

Overall Grade B.

If it was the obvious move, shouldn't it actually be an "A"? Pointless comment on my behalf, but this intrigues me. lol

ROSSter 03-18-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Wow man... Im speechless. The guy has such a fire in him to excel but for honorable reasons. He's doing his family proud, his city proud and his culture proud. The guy understands what sacrifice is.

I totally understand how players get motivated to play for him. He describes just how this is all about more than just the game of hockey.