HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   LeBrun: Dan Boyle and Martin Havlat Could Be Dealt? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1379011)

caley 03-18-2013 11:13 AM

Dan Boyle and Martin Havlat Could Be Dealt?

Quote:

The Sharks might want to recoup draft picks and younger assets, without damaging their roster too much for this season.

Sources around the NHL tell ESPN.com that GM Doug Wilson has listened on several of his players. And heís never been shy to act, one of the leagueís more active traders over the past decade.

Boyle, 36, could possibly be on the move either before April 3 or this summer as part of that roster tweaking. Heís a name Iíve heard from other teams. Heís got one more season left on his deal that pays him $6.66 million.

Heíd be a valuable addition to a contender, thatís for sure. And while Iím not sure people still consider the New York Rangers contenders or not, heís that top-four, right-handed d-man the Blueshirts could sure use.
Quote:

Martin Havlat is another name being bandied about. Heís never quite fit in with San Jose despite being exactly what the Sharks needed when they got him -- more speed on the wings. The 31-year-old has two more years on his contract past this season which pays him $5 million per. Again, he doesnít necessarily have to be moved now, it can wait for the offseason. He also has a full no-move clause in his deal, so it would be up to him if he went anywhere.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-coat-of-paint

I'd heard some rumors that Boyle was available last summer, but nothing came of it. This is the first time I've really seen his name in the mix this season.

Reverend Mayhem 03-18-2013 11:19 AM

Man would I love to have Dan Boyle. Not going to happen though, sadly.

Number1RedWingsFan52 03-18-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caley (Post 61883695)
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-coat-of-paint

I'd heard some rumors that Boyle was available last summer, but nothing came of it. This is the first time I've really seen his name in the mix this season.

Would be curious to know If Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman would be Interested In getting Dan Boyle word Is that Boyle would'nt mind finishing his career with Tampa Bay and they need Defensive help would'nt mind at all seeing him again in a Lightning Jersey.

Robert Theodorson 03-18-2013 11:21 AM

Pretty sure every contender would be interested in Boyle, hell of a defenseman.

DevilChuk* 03-18-2013 11:23 AM

Devils could be interested in Havlat. I think he's also Elias and Zidlicky's BFF so I'd guess he'd waive to come here..

dunno what we'd want to give up though

Hatrick Marleau 03-18-2013 11:24 AM

More likely to trade Clowe, Murray, or Handzus. I doubt Boyle is traded. Boyle is a leader on the team and he is a very good defenseman. Boyle makes a huge difference when he is in the lineup.

Mr. Canucklehead 03-18-2013 11:24 AM

Out of curiosity - I don't think it will ever happen - but what would SJ fans want from Vancouver in return for Boyle?

Curtinho 03-18-2013 11:25 AM

If Boyle is moved what do you think it takes from Ottawa to get him? Keep in mind we're not likely to pay a premium for a guy his age and since he only has I think 1 year left on his contract?

Hatrick Marleau 03-18-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead (Post 61884205)
Out of curiosity - I don't think it will ever happen - but what would SJ fans want from Vancouver in return for Boyle?

1st and good prospect

hockeyball 03-18-2013 11:27 AM

If the Sharks trade Boyle and/or Havlat they are tanking, plain and simple. Without Dan Boyle this team is probably in or near dead last in the league. That is not hyperbole. With Burns missing most the season he's been the only defensemen putting up points consistently until recently when Irwin started shooting laser beams.

Honestly, they probably should do it. It's time to rebuild a bit.

hockeyball 03-18-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 61884267)
1st and good prospect

He's worth more than that.

Mats26 03-18-2013 11:29 AM

I hope both Clowe and Murray get traded to the east. Then LA sign them as UFAs...lol

joestevens29 03-18-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caley (Post 61883695)

I heard this as well, but Boyle made it quite clear he had a NTC/NMC and that he didn't want to leave. Granted he might waive it if it meant he was going to a contender.

Hatrick Marleau 03-18-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 61884361)
He's worth more than that.

What would you ask? Since he only has 4 or 5 more years left and is signed to 1 more year after this one, I felt a 1st and a good prospect was fair.

Hatrick Marleau 03-18-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joestevens29 (Post 61884491)
I heard this as well, but Boyle made it quite clear he had a NTC/NMC and that he didn't want to leave. Granted he might waive it if it meant he was going to a contender.

I'm pretty sure he has a window right now where he can put a list of 10 teams he won't go to.

WTFetus 03-18-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 61884333)
If the Sharks trade Boyle and/or Havlat they are tanking, plain and simple. Without Dan Boyle this team is probably in or near dead last in the league. That is not hyperbole. With Burns missing most the season he's been the only defensemen putting up points consistently until recently when Irwin started shooting laser beams.

Honestly, they probably should do it. It's time to rebuild a bit.

Trading just Boyle doesn't necessarily mean a rebuild. It does mean a tank this season though.
Without Boyle, the D next season is still

Vlasic - Burns
Stuart - Demers
Irwin - Braun

It's not as good as it is right now, but it's still a good and competitive core. You could also sign a guy like Ian White if you think it isn't good enough.

White Goodman 03-18-2013 11:37 AM

Ottawa would love both plz

DuckEatinShark 03-18-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead (Post 61884205)

Hansen and a first (should be 20-30) range.

I doubt Vancouver is interested since they already have a lot of money tied up in their defense already. Edler is going to spike up to $5 mil next year, and Hamhuis/Ballard/Garrison/Bieksa all make north of $4 mil.

And if we trade Boyle, we would be shedding cap space so none of the defensemen listed would interest us.

Ricky Bobby 03-18-2013 11:41 AM

A deal based around Boyle (36 with a cap hit of 6.66 x 1 more year) for Martin (32 with a cap hit of 5 x 2 more years) makes a lot of sense.

WTFetus 03-18-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby (Post 61884975)
A deal based around Boyle (36 with a cap hit of 6.66 x 1 more year) for Martin (32 with a cap hit of 5 x 2 more years) makes a lot of sense.

No it doesn't. That makes no sense for the Sharks.

JayP812 03-18-2013 11:42 AM

Boyle I could see if management wants to start rebuilding/retooling, which I hope they do. Havlat should go nowhere. He was been great in every single game he played last year, and really isn't that bad this year. When he gets healthy, he can definitely get his game back.

ChibiPooky 03-18-2013 11:44 AM

I could see the Caps being interested in Havlat in the offseason. What would a likely ballpark price be?

hockeyball 03-18-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 61884585)
I'm pretty sure he has a window right now where he can put a list of 10 teams he won't go to.

I believe it's 8 teams he WONT go to.

OrrNumber4 03-18-2013 11:45 AM

Interesting. Lebrun is clearly saying this as opinion though (just like any poser here)...he isn't suggesting that he has heard anything that might indicate that those players are available.

Ricky Bobby 03-18-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 61885041)
No it doesn't. That makes no sense for the Sharks.

Your team saves1.66 million in cap space and get the younger dman.

People love to criticize Martin but he has 18 points on the season and is playing 25 minutes a night.

It would be similar to Heatley (higher salary and better player) for Havlat (lower salary and not quite as good of a player).