HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Mike Smith next contract? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1379257)

LEAFANFORLIFE23 03-18-2013 05:56 PM

Mike Smith next contract?

Mike Smith is interesting cause you look at his save % not great, look at his GAA not bad but could be better BUT he is #2 in the NHL in shutouts so I ask you how much will that get him and where does he go? surely being #2 in shutouts is good enough to convince GM's he is a #1 guy

Number1RedWingsFan52 03-18-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 (Post 61900507)
Mike Smith is interesting cause you look at his save % not great, look at his GAA not bad but could be better BUT he is #2 in the NHL in shutouts so I ask you how much will that get him and where does he go? surely being #2 in shutouts is good enough to convince GM's he is a #1 guy

I would say Mike Smith will at least get a 5 year deal worth $25 Million possibly more. Maybe $30 million depending how generous teams are that are going after him. And how the market shapes I think he will resign with Phoenix.

tml145 03-18-2013 06:04 PM

do you remember Ilya Brizz (aKa Mr Universe)

bobafettish* 03-18-2013 06:11 PM

.903 sv%
2.78 gaa

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

LEAFANFORLIFE23 03-18-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobafettish (Post 61901093)
.903 sv%
2.78 gaa

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

4 shutouts

palindrom 03-18-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tml145 (Post 61900827)
do you remember Ilya Brizz (aKa Mr Universe)

Who was the most proven : Smith or Bryzgalov?

tml145 03-18-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palindrom (Post 61901579)

my point is, Phoenix is goalie heaven

Number1RedWingsFan52 03-18-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Yep Smith took the Yotes further and deeper In the playoffs then Bryz has ever done, Bryz 1 round and out.

Penosity 03-18-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Nearly identical career numbers.

Phion Keneuf 03-18-2013 06:29 PM

lol as soon as he leaves Phoenix his career will be done

Numminen 03-18-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf (Post 61901751)
lol as soon as he leaves Phoenix his career will be done

Just like Bryzgalov?

XX 03-18-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 (Post 61900695)
I would say Mike Smith will at least get a 5 year deal worth $25 Million possibly more. Maybe $30 million depending how generous teams are that are going after him. And how the market shapes I think he will resign with Phoenix.

After 1 good year? No way. Not a chance in hell. He'd be lucky to get $4 a year with the way he is playing. Did I mention that he has a history of injuries and inconsistent play?

As a Coyote fan, I don't want him back. Not at anything more than $4. His antics have worn on me and he has been mediocre at best this year. His numbers would be absolutely embarrassing if he didn't get those 4 shutouts via the team in front of him.

cobra427 03-18-2013 06:45 PM

If Smith keeps playing the way he has been playing, average at best, I doubt he offered anything north of 4 million and 3 years from the GMDM. If he plays better, the coyotes make the playoffs, and they win one round, his value will be closer to 5 million+..from another team, still doubt GMDM goes that high. Bryz played average or below in playoffs against Detroit in 2010, and way below average in 2011. Why the Flyers didn't account for that is beyond me, but because he came out of Phoenix, that will bother GM's when thinking of Smith. He had a great playoff last year, but it doesn't matter much, unless he plays well now. I think he gets starter money somewhere but there are a ton of free agent goalies this summer so that will limit his value if he is not stellar, and he is not so far....

haterbehatin 03-18-2013 07:24 PM

I read one of the rumour pages said he wanted a deal worth 6m per year. Wouldn't touch that for this guy far too inconsistent or if they really love him and want to keep him I'd maybe do 5 something but only for no more than 2 years. No harm in going year to year with this guy there are so many quality goalies out there it's not like he's irreplacable and can set his own market.

Jaromir Jagrbombs 03-18-2013 07:34 PM

Absolutely no way he is worth that much, a team would be bonkers to give him 6 mil. 4-4.5 mil sounds fair to me, and there doesn't seem to be much of a market for starting goalies right now so I don't think he has any power to drive up his price.

Number1RedWingsFan52 03-18-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XX (Post 61902173)
After 1 good year? No way. Not a chance in hell. He'd be lucky to get $4 a year with the way he is playing. Did I mention that he has a history of injuries and inconsistent play?

As a Coyote fan, I don't want him back. Not at anything more than $4. His antics have worn on me and he has been mediocre at best this year. His numbers would be absolutely embarrassing if he didn't get those 4 shutouts via the team in front of him.

No I agree with you Mike Smith Is only getting $2 Million now and I agree he's not worth more then $4 million at the very most, I only said $5 million because some stupid team out there will give him that much. And you dont have to tell me about Smiths Injury history I saw It first hand when he was here In Tampa Bay I'm a season ticket holder so I saw him play many a time and was extremely disapointed In his play here he had far to much talent for the way he was playing for us, Your right phoenix has a solid defensive core that makes Smith look good when he's very average at best.

Phion Keneuf 03-18-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numminen (Post 61902053)
Just like Bryzgalov?

Pretty much.

slappipappi 03-18-2013 08:00 PM

Phoenix goalies are a creation of their system, just like Minny's are.

Stay away from them.

IPreferPi 03-18-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XX (Post 61902173)

This Yotes fan would love to have Smitty back, but he's been inconsistent this year. He's been pretty healthy other than that missed week after the first Chicago meltdown, so I'm not worried about his health. He's had a few good/great games, but a worrying number of softies have gotten past him as well.

Granted, the Coyotes D has not been consistent either with defensive breakdowns and turnovers a plenty, but Smith simply has not been stealing games for us when that happens compared to last year. 4-4.5 million tops is what I'd like to see him resign for. Hopefully he steps up like he did down the stretch last year.

detredWINgs 03-18-2013 08:02 PM

Mike Smith's next contract? Too much.

zeus3007* 03-18-2013 08:36 PM

Someone will offer him a long term 4 - 5 million dollar deal. He'll leave Phoenix's system and again be a borderline starter, as he was before he went to Phoenix.

Deen 03-18-2013 08:39 PM

Mike Smith reminds me of Eddie Belfour for some reason..

haterbehatin 03-18-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deen (Post 61909569)
Mike Smith reminds me of Eddie Belfour for some reason..

If you mean in ability you're either suggesting he's a late bloomer and about to be an elite goalie late into his career or you've forgotten how good Eddie was.

That or Smith likes to drink?

DKQ 03-18-2013 08:48 PM

I think he signs a 2 year, 6 mil extension with Phoenix. Wth an over saturated goalie market where he isn't even a top 5 talent, it would be smart to just stay with what he knows

Deen 03-18-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haterbehatin (Post 61910169)
If you mean in ability you're either suggesting he's a late bloomer and about to be an elite goalie late into his career or you've forgotten how good Eddie was.

That or Smith likes to drink?

I think he has the skills to be elite like Belfour at an older age. There are plenty of goaltender, that I honestly think could have been All-Stars given the opportunity. Mike Smith is a guy I would put on Team Canada, whatever my opinion is worth.