HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Toronto - Tampa Bay (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1379363)

VanTampaFan 03-18-2013 07:31 PM

Toronto - Tampa Bay
 
This would be a one for one "Hockey trade" of a young player for young player to help organizational needs,


:leafs
Jake Gardiner


:bolts
Brett Connelly


Why?

The emergence of Cory Conacher and having Kucherov and Nametsnikov in the wings has the young offensive talent cupboard for Tampa significantly more stocked than the defensive cabinet. Connelly has been having a great season in the AHL and SFY has left him down there to be seasoned. Toronto would be gaining a talented offensive player with good size who played centre his whole Junior career despite the past year at RW.

Jake Gardiner would be a good fit into the Tampa organization and add another talented young D man to their mix.

Good one for one trade of two highly regarded high pedigree players that addresses organizational needs of both teams.

Thoughts?

Rielly4 03-18-2013 07:36 PM

no thank you, Jake Gardiner is the best d man in the AHL. Connolly will be a 2nd line center and has no use to our team.

LV* 03-18-2013 07:37 PM

Yeah, no from Toronto.

Magic Man 03-18-2013 07:44 PM

#FreeJakeGardiner

GordieHoweHatTrick 03-18-2013 07:45 PM

I notice Connolly is coming along fairly well but unfortunately this doesn't address a team need for Toronto. Its a top-6 center or bust if we're talking Gardiner

Pi 03-18-2013 07:45 PM

The only place Leaf fans want to see Gardiner go is to the ACC. :)

We have enough great wingers.

DKQ 03-18-2013 07:46 PM

From a neutral perspective, I would consider Gardiner as being a bit more valuable than Connolly due to him being more proven at the NHL level. I don't know what Tampa could add to make it even though

QMJHLfollower 03-18-2013 07:47 PM

I like Connolly a lot, but I wouldn't trade Gardiner for him and I hope that we keep Gardiner. Gardiner should be a building block for us, IMO.

HoseEmDown 03-18-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKQ (Post 61910131)
From a neutral perspective, I would consider Gardiner as being a bit more valuable than Connolly due to him being more proven at the NHL level. I don't know what Tampa could add to make it even though

I would say they are even value wise. Gardiner put up more points in his one season in the NHL but he was older and had played 3 years of college hockey. Connolly was only up cause his junior team sucked and he also was coming off a big injury so he wasn't expected to do too much.
We need a RHD anyway who's more a shutdown type. We also have Barberio in the A who's very similar to Gardiner.

Amadeus 03-18-2013 07:57 PM

Holy!! I just made the exact same proposal!!

DKQ 03-18-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoseEmDown (Post 61910869)
I would say they are even value wise. Gardiner put up more points in his one season in the NHL but he was older and had played 3 years of college hockey. Connolly was only up cause his junior team sucked and he also was coming off a big injury so he wasn't expected to do too much.
We need a RHD anyway who's more a shutdown type. We also have Barberio in the A who's very similar to Gardiner.

Meh, age is a fair point, but I value NHL success over pretty much anything. I made essentially the same argument in the Couturier thread, where people were saying he is a lock to be a 60+ point center

Amadeus 03-18-2013 08:01 PM

I'm down for this deal as it falls right under the sort of deal Nonis has said that he'll make - a young player for another young player addressing need and considering similar potentials. Both are high end guys here.

How about Dana Tyrell in the deal as well.

John Miller 03-18-2013 08:03 PM

We need Gardiner more than Connolly right now, and he's probably further along in his development. Hopefully they'll bring him up soon.

GordieHoweHatTrick 03-18-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Knight (Post 61911309)
I'm down for this deal as it falls right under the sort of deal Nonis has said that he'll make - a young player for another young player addressing need and considering similar potentials. Both are high end guys here.

How about Dana Tyrell in the deal as well.

How come you want Gardiner traded so bad? I bet you were singing a different tune last season. Patience

lebdafor norris 03-18-2013 08:15 PM

Is Connolly playing center this year? As it stands now the leafs are pretty set on the wing positions.

Stormcrow 03-18-2013 08:23 PM

One of the better proposals that I have seen in quite some time on these forums. Well done sir.
How is he at draws? I know that he was a center that has shifted to RW, which doesnt bother me at all. Is he somewhat responsible defensively?

The Macho Man 03-18-2013 08:24 PM

It's probably pretty close value-wise...

Yzlamic Preacher* 03-18-2013 08:28 PM

As a Tampa fan, I would do this. With Johnson and Killorn being future centres with us, I would be totally fine with moving Connolly.

Amadeus 03-18-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still All In (Post 61912539)
:laugh:

He's a two-way player with offense as well. He was drafted 5th overall despite only playing 15 or so games in the WHL his draft year I think. Does it remind you of someone?

He's a good prospect who is taking his time in the minors and I'm okay with that. Projects as a winger with size (who'll use it as well) and who is more than capable of playing C as well.

Stammer Time* 03-18-2013 08:31 PM

I'd probably do it. I love Connolly and I love the way Yzerman has handled him but we can never have too many defensemen.

Probably the best Lightning proposal in recent memory.

Amadeus 03-18-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick (Post 61911839)
How come you want Gardiner traded so bad? I bet you were singing a different tune last season. Patience

Asset management.

I think Morgan Rielly, and to an extent Jesse Blacker and Stu Percy in the system make Jake Gardiner expendable for the right piece, especially if Nonis is able to hit a homerun with it.

I was also firm on keeping Schenn but we don't seem to mind the JVR trade do we? That was good asset management.

In a deal for Gardiner, if there is a right player available, both teams will benefit.

I'm not a proponent of getting rid of Gardiner, but instead I won't mind moving him for a building block up front. The only players I've been willing to trade Gardiner for are:

1. Ryan O'Reilly
2. Sean Couturier
3. Maybe Brett Connolly

They're all bright young players who address a need for us.

Amadeus 03-18-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death Taxes Conacher (Post 61914169)
I'd probably do it. I love Connolly and I love the way Yzerman has handled him but we can never have too many defensemen.

Probably the best Lightning proposal in recent memory.

How is he progressing in the AHL?

seanlinden 03-18-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanTampaFan (Post 61909121)
This would be a one for one "Hockey trade" of a young player for young player to help organizational needs,


:leafs
Jake Gardiner


:bolts
Brett Connelly


Why?

The emergence of Cory Conacher and having Kucherov and Nametsnikov in the wings has the young offensive talent cupboard for Tampa significantly more stocked than the defensive cabinet. Connelly has been having a great season in the AHL and SFY has left him down there to be seasoned. Toronto would be gaining a talented offensive player with good size who played centre his whole Junior career despite the past year at RW.

Jake Gardiner would be a good fit into the Tampa organization and add another talented young D man to their mix.

Good one for one trade of two highly regarded high pedigree players that addresses organizational needs of both teams.

Thoughts?


We know why Tampa Bay does it... but I see no reason for the Leafs to consider it.

The likes of Phil Kessel, James Van Riemsdyk, Joffrey Lupul & Matt Frattin will ensure that Connolly never does anything in Toronto. The Leafs do not have an organizational need on the wing, at least, not in terms of short term prospects.

Drew311 03-18-2013 08:36 PM

I would have to see Connolly succeed at the NHL level before dealing Gardiner for him. Too much risk here for the Leafs.

EucaLEAFtys 03-18-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi (Post 61910093)
The only place Leaf fans want to see Gardiner go is to the ACC. :)

We have enough great wingers.

Damn strqaight!!

Enough of all these stupid "Gardiner to ________" proposals!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.