HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Coburn (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1379433)

RJ8812 03-18-2013 09:14 PM

Coburn

how does this dolt not have his own thread?

Quite possibly the worst defenseman in the league making over $3m that gets regular minutes. Just when you think he can't make any more stupid plays, he proves you wrong. Completely clueless out there.

Beef Invictus 03-18-2013 09:15 PM

He had a thread, but it dropped off the first page.

He's had a truly brutal season.

Codith 03-18-2013 09:18 PM

I'd take a retired alexei zhitnik over Coburn

Philadelphia Ducks 03-18-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codith (Post 61919009)

I laughed :handclap:

But yea....he's been awful this year, I would not be opposed to trading him away for a 1st and a defensive prospect right about now. Especially when you look back and saw the return Kaberle got a few years back, Coburn should get atleast the same.

Protest 03-18-2013 09:20 PM

He's had a bad season (30 games). It doesn't erase the several years of solid play. He's still a solid Top 4 defender. This year has just been...suck.

flyershockey 03-18-2013 09:21 PM

We've watched Coburn regress into a bottom pair defenseman this season. He's been that bad. I'm tired of hearing the excuses for this guy. I would trade him tomorrow, before the rest of the league finds out that he sucks. He looks like a faster Mike Rathje at this point. Yeah, it's that bad.

BobbyClarkeFan16 03-18-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 61918719)
He had a thread, but it dropped off the first page.

He's had a truly brutal season.

....and there will still be people who will come on here and defend Coburn. The man can't be defended anymore. 7 years in the league and he still struggles with consistency and making stupid decision after stupid decision. It's time to cut bait on the dead weight and let him be someone else's problem.

Codith 03-18-2013 09:21 PM

Hahaha we would be lucky to receive the dirty laundry from a team for him lollll

flyershockey 03-18-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protest (Post 61919289)
He's had a bad season (30 games). It doesn't erase the several years of solid play. He's still a solid Top 4 defender. This year has just been...suck.

He wasn't that good last year though either. His best season was 2007-2008. Since then, he's been mediocre to bad for the majority of his time in Philadelphia.

Yukon Cornelius 03-18-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyershockey (Post 61919327)
We've watched Coburn regress into a bottom pair defenseman this season. He's been that bad. I'm tired of hearing the excuses for this guy. I would trade him tomorrow, before the rest of the league finds out that he sucks. He looks like a faster Mike Rathje at this point. Yeah, it's that bad.

Wow, that is spot-on.

RJ8812 03-18-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protest (Post 61919289)

he was not very good last year. for the past 3 years he's regressed and he's just been terrible this year

MsWoof 03-18-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codith (Post 61919009)

Had to stifle a laugh cause I have a cat on my lap!

BringBackStevens 03-18-2013 09:33 PM

He's Better than mez , but still totally regressed

Protest 03-18-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyershockey (Post 61919501)
He wasn't that good last year though either. His best season was 2007-2008. Since then, he's been mediocre to bad for the majority of his time in Philadelphia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 61920123)
he was not very good last year. for the past 3 years he's regressed and he's just been terrible this year

Um.. wasn't everyone on here saying Coburn Grossman was our best pairing at the end of the year, and lauding them and Couts for shutting down Malkin?

RJ8812 03-18-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protest (Post 61920847)
Um.. wasn't everyone on here saying Coburn Grossman was our best pairing at the end of the year, and lauding them and Couts for shutting down Malkin?

one 6 game series =/= the entire season

Norm MacDonald 03-18-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyershockey (Post 61919501)

That's revisionist history. He's been awful in the role of #1 defenseman this season, but Laviolette refuses to give him less ice time (until recently... some games). He's gone through long slumps before, gets demoted, then rebounds.

Meanwhile, Meszaros has been awful since coming back. Hopefully he's still shaking the rust off, but I'm getting more and more worried each game.

flyershockey 03-18-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protest (Post 61920847)

I certainly wasn't, and much of their success was from Grossman playing fantastically well. It's no coincidence that the pair wasn't nearly as effective after Grossman's knee injury. Also, if he was playing well, it should just be another example of how frustrating a player he truly is. He's had 7 NHL seasons to figure out how to be consistent, and he simply hasn't. His month long streaks are nice to watch, but he's expected to be much more than that based on his position with the team and his salary.

flyershockey 03-18-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald (Post 61921669)
That's revisionist history. He's been awful in the role of #1 defenseman this season, but Laviolette refuses to give him less ice time (until recently... some games). He's gone through long slumps before, gets demoted, then rebounds.

Meanwhile, Meszaros has been awful since coming back. Hopefully he's still shaking the rust off, but I'm getting more and more worried each game.

Playing well for 25 percent or even half of the season simply isn't good enough. He hasn't even been asked to be the number one defenseman this year either. He's been on the second pair with Grossman. Timonen still plays a much larger role for them, and Schenn has even done more than him. I'm over waiting for Coburn to put it all together.

Mez has also been terrible... no argument from me here. He shouldn't be playing if he's injured, and if he's healthy, then he's just been brutal.

It doesn't really matter though, neither guy is going anywhere. We have no one ready to replace them from within the system. We also can't afford to move any roster pieces to replace them because we have nobody to replace those guys from the prospect system.

Codith 03-18-2013 09:54 PM

Imagine if we had the leafs defensive depth? God they can't even make room for Gardiner. Not to mention they still have Rielly and Percy in the pipe line. We keep stacking up in centres that can't win faceoffs and go through long slumps. Talk all the **** you want about Brian Burke, that guy assembled a hell of a good squad. You build from the net out, we never do, and we never seem to learn.

hockeyfreak7 03-18-2013 09:54 PM

Dead weight? I seriously can not believe what I'm seeing. The guy has been bad this season, yes, absolutely. But does that really erase years of being an excellent #3 guy? Holy crap. Some of you people are just hysterical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codith (Post 61923327)
Imagine if we had the leafs defensive depth? God they can't even make room for Gardiner. Not to mention they still have Rielly and Percy in the pipe line. We keep stacking up in centres that can't win faceoffs and go through long slumps. Talk all the **** you want about Brian Burke, that guy assembled a hell of a good squad. You build from the net out, we never do, and we never seem to learn.

Okay, this board officially lost its mind.

Gonna check out for the extended break. This is mind numbing.

Norm MacDonald 03-18-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyershockey (Post 61922383)
Playing well for 25 percent or even half of the season simply isn't good enough. He hasn't even been asked to be the number one defenseman this year either. He's been on the second pair with Grossman. Timonen still plays a much larger role for them, and Schenn has even done more than him. I'm over waiting for Coburn to put it all together.

Coburn has played the most out of all the defensemen, by over a minute per game. Coburn/Grossmann has been going up against top lines for most games, or Coburn/Gervais when they were split up. Timonen and Schenn have both been playing a secondary role even strength most games.
Quote:

Mez has also been terrible... no argument from me here. He shouldn't be playing if he's injured, and if he's healthy, then he's just been brutal.

It doesn't really matter though, neither guy is going anywhere. We have no one ready to replace them from within the system. We also can't afford to move any roster pieces to replace them because we have nobody to replace those guys from the prospect system.
Yeah that's the problem. People may talk about giving up and dumping, but that's just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Go For It 03-18-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Brian Burke's Toronto Maple Leafs build from the net out? Then why have they had 457329485723084 goalies?

Oranges 03-18-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

:laugh:

Codith 03-18-2013 09:59 PM

How?

Codith 03-18-2013 10:02 PM

Leafs have two goalies right now better than our #1, both with solid save % over .915