HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The AHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   2004-05 AHL All-Star Teams revealed (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=137964)

Mess 04-07-2005 01:10 PM

2004-05 AHL All-Star Teams revealed

http://www.theahl.com/AHL/News/2005/04/06/985199.html

The American Hockey League announced today the 2004-05 AHL First and Second All-Star Teams, as voted by AHL players and media in each of the league’s 28 member cities.
Each All-Star Team member will receive a custom designed crystal award in recognition of his selection to the 2004-05 AHL First and Second All-Star Teams

SENSible1* 04-07-2005 01:26 PM

2004-05 AHL First All-Star Team

Ryan Miller, Goaltender (Rochester Americans)

Niklas Kronwall, Defenseman (Grand Rapids Griffins)
Travis Roche, Defenseman (Chicago Wolves)

Simon Gamache, Left Wing (Milwaukee Admirals)
Jason Spezza, Center (Binghamton Senators)
Chuck Kobasew, Right Wing (Lowell Lock Monsters)

2004-05 AHL Second All-Star Team

Kari Lehtonen, Goaltender (Chicago Wolves)

Dan Hamhuis, Defenseman (Milwaukee Admirals)
Brian Pothier, Defenseman (Binghamton Senators)

Andy Hilbert, Left Wing (Providence Bruins)
Mike Cammalleri, Center (Manchester Monarchs)
J.P. Vigier, Right Wing (Chicago Wolves)

Two B-Sens, nice. :handclap:

Safir* 04-07-2005 01:28 PM

Spezza, Pothier and Lehtonen. Nice :thumbu:

MrMastodonFarm* 04-07-2005 01:37 PM

Alright, nicely done Kobasew. :handclap:

Chris2004 04-07-2005 01:48 PM

Whats up with Gamache, the kid shows some great skill in the AHL, but doesnt do anything to prove NHL worthy. He's had a few stints but never really made a splash.

Was it an age/size deal? Or maybe maturity? Both?

bruins4777* 04-07-2005 03:45 PM

errr. sorry to say, but the "chances" he has been give haven't been chances at all.

He's a 5'10 guy, with tremendous goal scoring potential. He's as pure a goal scorer as you'll get. But for his size he's a poor skater and plays an "in the crease" style and gets a lot of goals around the net. And by NHL standards if your small and don't play a "st. louis or samsonov" style your not worthy.

Albi 04-09-2005 04:26 AM

I don't want to sound as a homer but I was wondering if Cammy should center the 1st line instead of Spezza. I know Jason has more pts (108 to 105), more assists (79-61), and more SHG (3-2) but in the other categories Cammy has the edge.

Goals: 44 for Cammy, 29 for Spezza
+/-: +25 for Cammy, +15 for Spezza
PPG: 17 for Cammy, 10 for Spezza
GWG: 7 for Cammy, 4 for Spezza

IMO the goals scored is a stat that should have made the difference in favour of Cammalleri. A 15 goal difference is a huge one, also considering:

- Mike had to play with different linemates most of the season and they're not as good as Spezza's ones.
- in the Atlantic division there are 6 of the best 10 goalies in the league...it does make you wonder

When the MVP will be voted? Who do you think deserve it more?
You already know my answer.

Just my 2 cent

ReggieMoto 04-09-2005 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albi
- in the Atlantic division there are 6 of the best 10 goalies in the league...it does make you wonder

I wonder how Spezza would've faired had he been facing the league's top goalies? He got his points primarily through assists. If he'd have been facing the netminders Cammy and his crew had been facing, things probably would've turned out differently in the point race and ultimately the choice for first team center.

Another 2 cents...

hillbilly 04-09-2005 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris2004
Whats up with Gamache, the kid shows some great skill in the AHL, but doesnt do anything to prove NHL worthy. He's had a few stints but never really made a splash.

Was it an age/size deal? Or maybe maturity? Both?

his "chance" with the preds consisted of 4 to 5 minutes of ice time a game on the 4th line.

Volcanologist 04-09-2005 09:23 AM

Can't really argue with any of those choices.

Spezza 04-09-2005 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReggieMoto
... He got his points primarily through assists...

That Spezza kid, he's such a leech!;)

DaaaaB's 04-11-2005 08:35 AM

If Toivonen hadn't been injured he would have beat out Lehtonen for the 2nd team spot.

pelts35.com 04-11-2005 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaaaaB's
If Toivonen hadn't been injured he would have beat out Lehtonen for the 2nd team spot.

There were other goalies who were worthy of the 2nd team spot (Niittymaki, Toivonen, Garon, Joey MacDonald, Cam Ward). Despite getting injured, Toivonen has still played in 52 games. Even if he didn't get injured, he probably wouldn't have played many more games.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of the love affair that THN and other publications have with Lehtonen. He's a very good goalie, but I think some of these honors are based more on reputation than on performance. I'm not saying he isn't a very good goalie who has a bright future ahead of him in the NHL (although I don't think he is a perennial NHL All-Star), but the goalies I previously mentioned have put up better numbers this season.

Personally, I think that Joey MacDonald (66 games :amazed: , 2.29 GAA, .926 save %age) playing for a mediocre Grand Rapids team should have been selected.

Bileur 04-11-2005 11:03 AM

Quote:

I don't want to sound as a homer but I was wondering if Cammy should center the 1st line instead of Spezza. I know Jason has more pts (108 to 105), more assists (79-61), and more SHG (3-2) but in the other categories Cammy has the edge.

IMO the goals scored is a stat that should have made the difference in favour of Cammalleri. A 15 goal difference is a huge one, also considering:

- Mike had to play with different linemates most of the season and they're not as good as Spezza's ones.

Just my 2 cent

Why are goals more valuable than assists? Sure Cammy has 13 more goals than Spez but he's also got 20 assists less. Plus how many GWG did Spezza assist on? Spezza's role is to be a playmaker, as we can see by his shot count, it isnt fair to penalise him for playing it perfectly.

GoBoltz56 04-11-2005 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com

Personally, I think that Joey MacDonald (66 games :amazed: , 2.29 GAA, .926 save %age) playing for a mediocre Grand Rapids team should have been selected.

Amen, brother.

ti-vite 04-11-2005 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly
his "chance" with the preds consisted of 4 to 5 minutes of ice time a game on the 4th line.

Having seen him play junior in Val d'Or (CHL scoring champ, lost in Memorial cup final), what he did with Greenville (championship) the following year, what he did in Chicago (Calder cup) the following year, I don't know why he has not been given a legit chance yet. He was drafted 290th his year.

He's consistently a top scorer in playoffs and has repeated this at every level to date. The only issue I imagine is size. Think Corey Locke but nasty in playoffs.

He deserves a shot now no doubts.

ti-vite 04-11-2005 01:54 PM

This sums it up nicely:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=19852

Simon Gamache was born January 3, 1981 in Thetford-Mines, Quebec. The ninth round, 290th overall selection of the Atlanta Thrashers in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft, Gamache is a graduate of the QMJHL's Val d'Or Foreurs.

The 2001 CHL Player-of-the-Year and QMJHL MVP, Gamache spent three highly productive seasons in Val d'Or (157G 232A 389PTS) capturing numerous awards while breaking Mario Lemieux's playoff point record with 57 (22G 35A) leading the Foreurs to the 2001 QMJHL title and the 2001 Memorial Cup, only to fall short against the host Red Deer Rebels in the final.

Coming off a career year with Val d'Or in 2001, Gamache split the 2001-02 season with the AHLs Chicago Wolves and the ECHL's Greenville Grrrowl leading them to the 2002 Kelly Cup title and being named Co-MVP of the 2002 ECHL Playoffs.

In 2002-03 Gamache broke out offensively with the Wolves, finishing second in team scoring with 77 points, while playing in his first two NHL games with the Thrashers.

After parts of three seasons with the Thrashers organization, Gamache was acquired by the Nashville Predators during the early part of the 2003-04 season. Upon his arrival with the Preds', the former QMJHL star spent most of his time helping the AHL's Milwaukee Admirals capture the Calder Cup title.

DaaaaB's 04-11-2005 02:49 PM

Quote:

There were other goalies who were worthy of the 2nd team spot (Niittymaki, Toivonen, Garon, Joey MacDonald, Cam Ward). Despite getting injured, Toivonen has still played in 52 games. Even if he didn't get injured, he probably wouldn't have played many more games.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of the love affair that THN and other publications have with Lehtonen. He's a very good goalie, but I think some of these honors are based more on reputation than on performance. I'm not saying he isn't a very good goalie who has a bright future ahead of him in the NHL (although I don't think he is a perennial NHL All-Star), but the goalies I previously mentioned have put up better numbers this season.

I agree, anyone of those five goalies listed would have been a better selection then Lehtonen. I know what you mean about THN and other publications having a love affair with Lehtonen and it gets pretty annoying.
BTW, I think Toivonen would have played 60 games give or take one had he not been injured.

Habsfan 32 04-11-2005 03:03 PM

Looks like Kronwall had a very good season. I can't wait to see him in the NHL for a full season.

strib 04-11-2005 04:00 PM

If you're tired of the love affair with THN and Lehtonen you must be ready to gag over it's treatment of Spezza then. We hear a lot more of Jason this and that than anyone.
:yo:

burgess1978 04-11-2005 05:53 PM

Quote:

Just my 2 cent

They are different style players. Spezza is a more of a playmaker so he's going to get more assists.

I also disagree about linemates. I think they are comparable.

Spezza: Bochenski/Hamel/Kelly
Cammy: Lehoux/Brown/Kostopoulos

We can only hope that the All-Star team (and MVP) are not picked on stats alone.

chiavsfan 04-12-2005 06:40 AM

Yeah, I hate the love affair with Lehtonen too...I mean, for goodness sakes, the guy has lost I believe 1 game since the All-Star break...has been injured, and still recorded 37 victories, a 2.30 GAA, and a .929 save percentage. I think that is plenty good enough for a 2nd All-Star team consideration.

He is second in the League in wins, and has played 6 less games (due to a groin injury) than the wins leader Ryan Miller, who only has 3 more wins.

Are there goalies more deserving of the All-Star nod? Possibly...but to say Lehtonen dosen't deserve a spot on the second team in just plain stupid

pelts35.com 04-12-2005 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiavsfan
Yeah, I hate the love affair with Lehtonen too...I mean, for goodness sakes, the guy has lost I believe 1 game since the All-Star break...has been injured, and still recorded 37 victories, a 2.30 GAA, and a .929 save percentage. I think that is plenty good enough for a 2nd All-Star team consideration.

He is second in the League in wins, and has played 6 less games (due to a groin injury) than the wins leader Ryan Miller, who only has 3 more wins.

Are there goalies more deserving of the All-Star nod? Possibly...but to say Lehtonen dosen't deserve a spot on the second team in just plain stupid

I never said that he didn't deserve the spot. Further, I do believe that he should have been one of the goalies considered. However, I also said that the other goalies that I mentioned were worthy of the second spot. Lehtonen has had a very good season, but not as good as those other goalies. Again, I think that Joey MacDonald was more deserving of the honor than Lehtonen. He has put up better numbers, played in more games and plays on a considerably worse team than Lehtonen does.

bruins4777* 04-12-2005 09:01 AM

Quote:

I never said that he didn't deserve the spot. Further, I do believe that he should have been one of the goalies considered. However, I also said that the other goalies that I mentioned were worthy of the second spot. Lehtonen has had a very good season, but not as good as those other goalies. Again, I think that Joey MacDonald was more deserving of the honor than Lehtonen. He has put up better numbers, played in more games and plays on a considerably worse team than Lehtonen does.

The griffins are "considerably worse"? Without lehtonen the wolves would be a bottom feeder. And beyond a shadow of a doubt he's been their mvp, and arguably teh mvp of the league. On the contrary macdonald i would contend hasn't even been the griffns best player. Nik Kronwall anybody? Sure the offense isn't what the wolves are, but the defense clearly is. Lehts faces around 30 or so, typically even more, shots a game. While maconald is at 27. But even with the "shots faced a game", stats aren't much to brag about anyways.

The griffins might be worse than the wolves to a degree, but to say "considerably worse" is a stretch.

Lehtonen not only has been the mvp of his team, but has outperformed miller. And plays on a worse team. The reason the wolves are able to gamble so much offensively is because of the stability of lehtonen in net. This was never more obvious when shown last season in the playoffs, sure different team whatever, but the main composure and make up of the team is quite similar. The wolves as a team have a ridiculously poorous defense. Don't let roche's numbers decieve you. He's a decent dman with nice numbers, but he is far from some kind of "defensive stalwart" the defense of the wolves together can't even match kronwall.

Lehtonen has done more than just stop the puck, which makes him more valuable, and thusly better. Macdonald has had a fine season, but nothing too extraordinary. If you want a goaltender who has had a damn fine season look up hannu toivenen.

bruins4777* 04-12-2005 09:04 AM

Niity, Garon, and Ward all play on teams that are more stacked than lehtonens and are certainlly getting their nums padded