HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: Will Flyers Offersheet Alex Pietrangelo? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1379843)

Didact 03-19-2013 10:46 AM

Will Flyers Offersheet Alex Pietrangelo?

We all know the Flyers unsuccessful attempt in getting Weber this offseason but does anyone think they would try it again with Alex Pietrangelo? With the Flyers sucking as they are, I don't see him standing still and doing nothing.

Coldplay 03-19-2013 10:48 AM

If Nashville matches that ridiculous offer sheet, anyone will. And with term & variance limits, GMs don't have as much creativity save for using signing bonuses.

No.

DrHamburg 03-19-2013 10:50 AM

If he lasts past the wave of FA's and the Flyers have the cap room to add him I am sure they will try. But I am pretty sure they will get matched too.

Pi 03-19-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldplay (Post 61951505)
If Nashville matches that ridiculous offer sheet, anyone will. And with term & variance limits, GMs don't have as much creativity save for using signing bonuses.

No.

True. Contracts are a lot less creative now...any GM/Owner would match offer sheets for their star players.

Only players worth offer sheeting are guys like ROR.

alpine4life 03-19-2013 10:50 AM

STL will match and they will not only have Poile as an enemy but Armstrong as well. Plus all the league other GMs would have a great look @ Homer's GM approach. Especially after attacking 2 internally cappped team.

so if i was Holmgrem I would not do that NO

TorstenFrings 03-19-2013 10:50 AM

Putting nothing past Holmgren, but St. Louis won't let them. They'll get this done in time.

EastonBlues22 03-19-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didact (Post 61951387)
We all know the Flyers unsuccessful attempt in getting Weber this offseason but does anyone think they would try it again with Alex Pietrangelo? With the Flyers sucking as they are, I don't see him standing still and doing nothing.

I don't see Pietrangelo making to that point without a contract.

Freudian 03-19-2013 10:51 AM

If given a chance, they will. Holmgren's gonna Holmgren.

Jimmi Jenkins 03-19-2013 10:52 AM

Probably, but it won't matter much, I would say St Louis matches any OS no matter how ridiculous. He's that good of a player, he can't leave for picks.

Alklha 03-19-2013 10:52 AM

If they get the chance, then I expect so. I'd be shocked if Pietrangelo or Shattenkirk get to that point though.

Jack de la Hoya 03-19-2013 10:54 AM

Not successfully, no.

Shattenkirk might be a more viable target. I can't see the Flyers offering anything that the Blues wouldn't match for Pietrangelo. That might not be the case for Shattenkirk.

Or, more likely, perhaps the Flyers could approach St. Louis with a Coburn for Shattenkirk swap? It gives the Blues an ideal LH partner for Pietrangelo.

For a signed Shattenkirk, I think the Flyers probably have to add. It isn't likely, but it is much more plausible than offer-sheeting Pietrangelo.

vatali 03-19-2013 10:54 AM

It takes 2 to tango and Petro hasn't said anything about contracts (not that he wants to stay or he wants $ and leave. nothing). Will multiple teams talk with him if it drags on past a reasonable time (say August 1st). absolutely. Will someone put in an offer sheet? Maybe. But Armstrong has a couple of advantages.#1 the market is somewhat set for his $ range already. #2 Army can offer an extra year. #3 Armstrong has already said he will match any offer sheet.

I don't doubt that Philly will kick the tires and find out the value, but I don't think petro will get offer sheeted. Shatty is more realistic. To the Blues and the market in general his value is less than Petro. A team could over reach on him if he was willing to run with the money. To this point he has been silent as well. I am not sure if Shatty is ARB eligible though, which could then screw up that plan as well.

kasper11 03-19-2013 10:58 AM

With what money? They are already at about $62M for next year. Even if they buyout Bryz, they need to replace him. Maybe they move Briere too, but now you are talking about having about $15M and needing at least 1 top-6 player and a starting goalie. Not to mention they might have some bonus carryover from this year. I don't see how you fit in Pietrangelo.

ouendan1 03-19-2013 11:05 AM

I don't know their cap situation so I won't pretend to be an expert on that. It wouldn't surprise me IF Pietrangelo gets to that point in Free Agency that the Flyers (and probably other teams) send an offer sheet his way.

I don't have any thing to back this up so if anyone has a link or something that could help out I would appreciate it, but I would assume that there were more teams than just the Flyers that sent Weber an offer sheet. None of them became news though because Weber didn't sign them. The Flyers offer sheet became news because Weber signed it. Pietrangelo would have to sign an offer sheet for it to become news.

Having said all of this there's no way Pietrangelo isn't somehow signed by the Blues, whether through matching an offer sheet or negotiating a whole new contract.

Dick Whitman 03-19-2013 11:06 AM

Only way Pietroangelo signs an offer sheet is if he doesn't think St. Louis will come close in money without one. He'll be losing a year off any offer sheet so it'd have to be worth it for him.

Didact 03-19-2013 11:08 AM

I thought it would be funny if they offersheeted Pietrangelo, it failed, and then offersheeted Shatterkirk.

StrongIslanders90 03-19-2013 11:08 AM

even if they did,STL will match, unless its a crazy number....

Jack de la Hoya 03-19-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kasper11 (Post 61951853)
With what money? They are already at about $62M for next year. Even if they buyout Bryz, they need to replace him. Maybe they move Briere too, but now you are talking about having about $15M and needing at least 1 top-6 player and a starting goalie. Not to mention they might have some bonus carryover from this year. I don't see how you fit in Pietrangelo.

E. J. Hradek suggested yesterday what most fans have long expected--that it is quite possible both Briere and and Bryzgalov are bought out.

Doing both, and trade Mezsaros for a draft pick, would leave the team with at least $14 million in cap space. They would need a goalie, of course, but that would still leave room for a massive contract on the blue-line.

(that said, I don't expect it to happen, as I said above).

Broad Street Elite 03-19-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Fitting him is easy and the Flyers assuredly would without any concerns. St. Louis, however, would easily match anything.

For the purposes of your comment, however.... The Flyers can amnesty Briere and Bryzgalov. They absolutely do not need a top 6 player to replace Briere. With Giroux, Hartnell, Voracek, Simmonds, B. Schenn, Read and Couturier, the Flyers already have 7 guys that could quality in most teams top 6. Scott Laughton likely makes the team next season, then you mix in a Talbot, McGinn, Rinaldo, maybe a Cousins and/or resigned Gagne and you are pretty set at forward.

At G, you look at a stopgap like Anton Khubodin, Backstrom, etc... all likely for less team and AAV that Bryz's 5.6M.

Broad Street Elite 03-19-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didact (Post 61952275)
I thought it would be funny if they offersheeted Pietrangelo, it failed, and then offersheeted Shatterkirk.

If St. Louis let BOTH of those guys get that far, it would not surprise me, but I cannot see them being that moronic.

ChibiPooky 03-19-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didact (Post 61952275)

If they both make it to that point, I could easily see the "double whammy", essentially forcing them to choose one. But that would require some serious overpayment in terms of salary numbers.

Jack de la Hoya 03-19-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChibiPooky (Post 61952589)
If they both make it to that point, I could easily see the "double whammy", essentially forcing them to choose one. But that would require some serious overpayment in terms of salary numbers.

They can't file OS for both simultaneously, right? They wouldn't have the picks if both OS were accepted and not matched.

EDIT: To clarify, they could submit OS to both, but it is likely that only the first one signed (in this hypothetical) would be valid, since the other would (presumably) require some of the same compensation.

ChibiPooky 03-19-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya (Post 61952757)
They can't file OS for both simultaneously, right? They wouldn't have the picks if both OS were accepted and not matched.

I think you're right. In that case, if I were Holmgren, I'd send Shattenkirk's offer sheet first, then Pietrangelo's after they match. Of course, all that is assuming they make it to that point, and sign the offer sheets in the first place.

Shrimper 03-19-2013 11:23 AM

St.Louis will match any offer sheet that comes that way.

Halpysback 03-19-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Yeah, because their cap situation prevented them from handing out a huge offer sheet just this past summer.