HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rumor Canucks Closing in on College FA - Antoine Laganiere (1 of several teams) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1380009)

Lucbourdon 03-19-2013 01:48 PM

Canucks Closing in on College FA - Antoine Laganiere (1 of several teams)

Looks like Canucks are going hard after another one.

Quote:

#Yale forward Antoine Laganiere will pick his NHL team at the end of the month after the NCAA Championships.
Quote:

Laganiere tells CKWX that the #Canucks are 1 of the teams in the mix to land his services.
Quote:

Laganiere says the Canucks are a very viable option for him - enjoyed his Canucks training camp 2 years ago.
Quote:

Laganiere appreciated the fact Mike Gillis and Lawrence Gillman went to see him play - had a chat with the two after the game.
Quote:

1st Kellan Lain - if the Canucks land the 6-4 and 215 pound Laganiere - would be a good U-S recruiting month.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...rom-nhl-teams/

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/2/5/mcke...toine-laganire

Quote:

mong the group of available free agent forwards this season, none has garnered as much NHL interest as Yale senior Antoine Laganiere. At least a dozen teams are vying for the Ile Cadieux, QC native’s services. Among the teams pursuing Laganiere is the Vancouver Canucks, whose prospect camp he attended in 2011. The Edmonton Oilers and the Pittsburgh Penguins are also among those showing interest. The senior winger attended both teams’ prospect camps last summer. Laganiere is currently third on the Bulldogs roster with 24 points (12 goals, 12 assists) in 29 games to date. He co-leads Yale with two game-winners and ranks second with six power-play goals.

Laganiere is a 6’4”, 197-pound power forward who uses his frame exceedingly well in creating space and opportunities. Where this is particularly noticeable is in his strong play in the dirty areas, an attribute that has made scouts take notice, as well. Laganiere takes full advantage of his size, reach and tremendous strength in maintaining both puck control and his positioning. He is not one to shy away from the physical aspects of the game. He can deliver solid checks and is aggressive on the forecheck. He is also a competitor. One notable improvement Laganiere has made since arriving at Yale is in his skating. He is an excellent skater with great mobility and skates with long, powerful strides. His added strength has greatly enhanced his speed and agility. Laganiere possesses great hands and a blisteringly hard shot. He can make nice, crisp passes, and along with his outstanding vision, can utilize open spaces quite effectively. He also has great finishing ability. One of Laganiere’s best assets is his stick, which he uses equally well in both offensive and defensive situations.

wej20 03-19-2013 01:57 PM

Hopefully playing with Pens prospect Kenny Agostino gives Pens the edge.

Horvat2Virtanen 03-19-2013 02:00 PM

Would be super excited with signing him.

BC Ben 03-19-2013 02:07 PM

Any signing of quality players without having to use a draft pick, trade away assets or blow a wad of cash via the free agent frenzy week is a good signing!

Q Continuum 03-19-2013 02:09 PM

Really cool, but I thought attending any training camp voided your NCAA eligibility? Sorry if I'm wrong, could someone explain how that works?

canuck4life16 03-19-2013 02:09 PM

I don't think his season is over yet so no one can signed him right now.

Anyone have scouting report? He is listed as a center but play on the wing......top 6 bottom 6? good hands? tough?

WeridAl 03-19-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 61960431)
Hopefully playing with Pens prospect Kenny Agostino gives Pens the edge.

Leafs fans thought the same thing with J.Shultz and Gardiner.:laugh::laugh:

wej20 03-19-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewOilRising (Post 61961055)
Really cool, but I thought attending any training camp voided your NCAA eligibility? Sorry if I'm wrong, could someone explain how that works?

As long as you pay your own way you're fine, that's quite often why you see prospects going to camps with other prospects from the same college team so they can split costs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeridAl (Post 61961187)

True

Crafton 03-19-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeridAl (Post 61961187)

what's wrong with wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'? you only run into problems when you start plannin' and dreamin'

caribouPINE 03-19-2013 02:15 PM

Can't have enough Bobby Butler's, Christian Hanson's, Fabien Bruunstrums, Matt Gilroy's, Mats Zuccarello's, Jussi Rynnas', Stephane Da Costa's, Jonas Gustavsson's, Spencer Abbott's, Erik Gustaffson, etc etc.

Free Walletzzszz!!!

(I'm half joking btw)

WeridAl 03-19-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafton (Post 61961359)
what's wrong with wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'? you only run into problems when you start plannin' and dreamin'

Nothing, realistically Antoine Laganiere will pick a team he'll most likely play the soonest, I don't think friendship will have nothing to do with it.

NFITO 03-19-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caribouPINE (Post 61961395)
Can't have enough Bobby Butler's, Christian Hanson's, Fabien Bruunstrums, Matt Gilroy's, Mats Zuccarello's, Jussi Rynnas', Stephane Da Costa's, Jonas Gustavsson's, Spencer Abbott's, Erik Gustaffson, etc etc.

Free Walletzzszz!!!

(I'm half joking btw)

yup... can't have enough Chris Tanev's, Cory Conacher's, Chris Kunitz's, Brian Rafalski's, Marty St. Louis', Teddy Purcell's, etc etc.

;)

Jag68Sid87 03-19-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 61961255)
As long as you pay your own way you're fine, that's quite often why you see prospects going to camps with other prospects from the same college team so they can split costs.

I was under the impression that NCAA players could attend the summer camps, just not the September rookie camps or the main training camps...unless they paid their way?

I recall Joe Stejskal of the Habs organization paid his way to 3 or 4 rookie training camps while he was at Dartmouth.

But I thought the summer camps were different. Maybe I'm wrong.

Analyzer 03-19-2013 02:38 PM

Hopefully being the Montreal Canadiens will help Montreal out in getting a solid French Canadian Free Agent...

It won't :(

Would be nice to get him, or any of the top NCAA prospects.

PG Canuck 03-19-2013 02:49 PM

Would sure be nice to pick up Laganiere after we already signed Lain.

Winroba 03-19-2013 03:09 PM

Lain is great news, adding Lags is a bonus, hopefully Sustr will join in the college youth movement, really impressed with Gillis' college scouting, it's been insane so far

Towel-Power 03-19-2013 03:13 PM

I'd love to get him but I wouldn't say "closing in on" is accurate. Seems just like we're one of the many teams interested.

Okay just saw the several team thing in the thread title. Never mind then.

jameswrjobe53 03-19-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFITO (Post 61961957)
yup... can't have enough Chris Tanev's, Cory Conacher's, Chris Kunitz's, Brian Rafalski's, Marty St. Louis', Teddy Purcell's, etc etc.

;)

Is this the game where we pick which doesn't belong?
Bcuz its Tanev

MarkusNaslund19 03-19-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameswrjobe53 (Post 61964941)
Bcuz its Tanev

Says the guy who either hasn't seen Tanev play much, or doesn't understand hockey well enough to recognize how well Tanev does all of the little things that help a team win.

Reign Nateo 03-19-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Bcuz its Tanev

He's very unheralded and not a very well known name around the league, but he's quietly asserting himself as a pretty solid regular NHL defenceman at a young age.

NFITO 03-19-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Bcuz its Tanev

you do realize that Tanev has been one of the Canucks best dmen all season long and has a lot of talk coming from coaches around the league who have been very impressed with his play to date?

When other coaches start talking about how solid he's been defensively and how much poise he has, you gotta give more credit to that than some guy on a message board who's likely not seen him play much. I'd take the comments from other coaches a lot more readily than someone saying here that he doesn't belong in a group of successful college FA who've established themselves as solid NHLers.

wej20 03-19-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 (Post 61962391)
I was under the impression that NCAA players could attend the summer camps, just not the September rookie camps or the main training camps...unless they paid their way?

I recall Joe Stejskal of the Habs organization paid his way to 3 or 4 rookie training camps while he was at Dartmouth.

But I thought the summer camps were different. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm 99% sure they have to pay they way through every camp in order to retain their NCAA eligibility, NCAA prospects tend not to attend Setember camps or main camps because it inteferes with college.

gramkind 03-19-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Bcuz its Tanev

How appropriate you have a troll face in your avatar.:shakehead

Let's quickly poll every gm and see how many would turn down a young steady cool as a cucumber dman on an amazing contract.

Horvat2Virtanen 03-19-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Bcuz its Tanev

Wow, why comment on a player you have no clue on? It's clear you're just a "stat reader"

keslerburrows 03-19-2013 03:41 PM

How good is this guy? Top 6 upside? How far is he from being NHL ready?