HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Can we learn from Columbus? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1380393)

flashy 03-19-2013 09:38 PM

Can we learn from Columbus?
 
They fired their incompetent GM after placing last, (and a little into this season). That team does not even have one quarter the talent this team has and yet they show more heart then in one of their players then 90% of our team.

They are riding an 11 game point streak. While we waddle of going between sucking and showing a pulse they have passed us in the standings...just think about that for a minute. This was without Rick Nash, and without the 2nd overall pick Ryan Murray. That's how bad the Oilers have sucked.

They have a GM that expects results not losing like Tambellinni has seem to be so content with over the last 4 seasons. In sum I hope this team moves forward from the biggest loser of a GM in the Cap Era.

jmoss45 03-19-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 62002397)
They fired their incompetent GM after placing last, (and a little into this season). That team does not even have one quarter the talent this team has and yet they show more heart then in one of their players then 90% of our team.

They are riding an 11 game point streak. While we waddle of going between sucking and showing a pulse they have passed us in the standings...just think about that for a minute. This was without Rick Nash, and without the 2nd overall pick Ryan Murray. That's how bad the Oilers have sucked.

They have a GM that expects results not losing like Tambellinni has seem to be so content with over the last 4 seasons. In sum I hope this team moves forward from the biggest loser of a GM in the Cap Era.

I couldn't disagree more. Who set their entire roster, including overhauling it with the Nash trade? Howson.

Who has been drafting and developing a nice core of young D, while trading from areas of weakness to address holes (Methot for Foligno, bringing in Bobrovsky)? Howson again.

I give all the credit to Howson for their success, just like I give all of Toronto's to Burke.

Its unfortunate that neither of those guys are around to enjoy what the fruits of their labor finally became, considering they did all the work.

nabob 03-19-2013 09:45 PM

Could it be that their incompetent GM actually put together a good team that underperformed last season, had awful goaltending and needed the right coach.

Lowe and Tambellini need to hire a good coach. Lowe has hired the same guy to replace him 3 times in a row (Quinn was an even worse mistake). MacRenneuger needs to go and so do the fools who hired them.

flashy 03-19-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmoss45 (Post 62003009)
I couldn't disagree more. Who set their entire roster, including overhauling it with the Nash trade? Howson.

Who has been drafting and developing a nice core of young D, while trading from areas of weakness to address holes (Methot for Foligno, bringing in Bobrovsky)? Howson again.

I give all the credit to Howson for their success, just like I give all of Toronto's to Burke.

Its unfortunate that neither of those guys are around to enjoy what the fruits of their labor finally became, considering they did all the work.

I'm not going to disagree with the fact that Howson did some good their but he ran that team into the ground and looked to do it again this year until ownership stepped in. I commend them for that.

Billybaroo* 03-19-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 62002397)
They fired their incompetent GM after placing last, (and a little into this season). That team does not even have one quarter the talent this team has and yet they show more heart then in one of their players then 90% of our team.

They are riding an 11 game point streak. While we waddle of going between sucking and showing a pulse they have passed us in the standings...just think about that for a minute. This was without Rick Nash, and without the 2nd overall pick Ryan Murray. That's how bad the Oilers have sucked.

They have a GM that expects results not losing like Tambellinni has seem to be so content with over the last 4 seasons. In sum I hope this team moves forward from the biggest loser of a GM in the Cap Era.

Their present GM has zero to do with their present hot streak. A 6 year old could figure that out.
The logic suggesting otherwise is about as sound as suggesting Howson has something to do with the Oilers recent performance.

flashy 03-19-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billybaroo (Post 62004125)
Their present GM has zero to do with their present hot streak. A 6 year old could figure that out.
The logic suggesting otherwise is about as sound as suggesting Howson has something to do with the Oilers recent performance.

Of course.

30th place in the league, 30th place in the league again then they fire GM and they start doing better. I just find it odd how that happened. You can't prove it was a cause but rest assured that it can't be ignored either.

McJC 03-19-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 62003951)
I'm not going to disagree with the fact that Howson did some good their but he ran that team into the ground and looked to do it again this year until ownership stepped in. I commend them for that.

? You do realize he pretty much built the team CLB is icing right now, right? It maybe looked like he ran the team into the ground on paper, but clearly it's a different story on ice. Their new GM hasn't done a single thing.

flashy 03-19-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSC (Post 62004643)
? You do realize he pretty much built the team CLB is icing right now, right? It maybe looked like he ran the team into the ground on paper, but clearly it's a different story on ice. Their new GM hasn't done a single thing.

They minute that team changed GM's they started playing better. So whether the timing just happened to be when the Howson was fired....possibly. I disagree with that though, I think their GM walked in and told the team straight up what he wanted and that this losing BS was going to stop.

I think he might of had a lot more to do with it then we know.

Seedling 03-19-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 62004831)
They minute that team changed GM's they started playing better. So whether the timing just happened to be when the Howson was fired....possibly. I disagree with that though, I think their GM walked in and told the team straight up what he wanted and that this losing BS was going to stop.

I think he might of had a lot more to do with it then we know.

So firing a GM makes a team better?

I know Davidson is great, but I did not know he had brain control, which, as we all know, is superior to mind control.

McShogun99 03-19-2013 10:08 PM

I don't get the Howson hate. He took a horrible team and started rebuilding it from the net out. Plus he had to deal with Carter and Nash publicly wanting out. These type of things take time but I thought Howson was on the right track. Now it's up to the new GM to get Columbus to the next level with a pretty solid defense and prospect core to work with.

Gone 03-19-2013 10:09 PM

Hiring John Davidson as President of Hockey Operations was the 1st right move they made. This would be akin to firing Kevin Lowe and replacing him with a real human being; not going to happen in this town.

Columbus then replaces most of their staff with fresh hockey minds.

What did the Oilers learn from the Columbus experience? Hire Scott Howsen, the second worst GM in the NHL, as a scout. Yup, since then, the Oilers are on a heck of a winning streak.

McBooya42 03-19-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 62004831)
They minute that team changed GM's they started playing better. So whether the timing just happened to be when the Howson was fired....possibly. I disagree with that though, I think their GM walked in and told the team straight up what he wanted and that this losing BS was going to stop.

I think he might of had a lot more to do with it then we know.

:laugh: Wow...Yes, that's all it took flashy, was for their new GM to "walk in and say that this losing BS had to stop".

:headache:

Completely ignoring the 5 year plan agreed upon as the plan by the owner and management aside (for the Oilers), your "theory" regarding how Columbus has improved is freaking hilarious. :laugh:

Billybaroo* 03-19-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 62004565)
Of course.

30th place in the league, 30th place in the league again then they fire GM and they start doing better. I just find it odd how that happened. You can't prove it was a cause but rest assured that it can't be ignored either.

Howson joins Oilers. They get 7 of 8 points.
Coincidence? I think not.

McBooya42 03-19-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gone (Post 62005875)
Hiring John Davidson as President of Hockey Operations was the 1st right move they made. This would be akin to firing Kevin Lowe and replacing him with a real human being; not going to happen in this town.

Columbus then replaces most of their staff with fresh hockey minds.

What did the Oilers learn from the Columbus experience? Hire Scott Howsen, the second worst GM in the NHL, as a scout. Yup, since then, the Oilers are on a heck of a winning streak.

Columbus's success is a direct result of the work Howson did. To ignore it is asinine.
:shakehead

Seedling 03-19-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gone (Post 62005875)
Hiring John Davidson as President of Hockey Operations was the 1st right move they made. This would be akin to firing Kevin Lowe and replacing him with a real human being; not going to happen in this town.

Columbus then replaces most of their staff with fresh hockey minds.

What did the Oilers learn from the Columbus experience? Hire Scott Howsen, the second worst GM in the NHL, as a scout. Yup, since then, the Oilers are on a heck of a winning streak.

This I agree with but with the team performing, there were obviously good pieces there beforehand. Howson did that.

That doesn't mean I like him here though, but hey, welcome back to the recycle club Scotty!

Billybaroo* 03-19-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shogun99 (Post 62005749)
I don't get the Howson hate. He took a horrible team and started rebuilding it from the net out. Plus he had to deal with Carter and Nash publicly wanting out. These type of things take time but I thought Howson was on the right track. Now it's up to the new GM to get Columbus to the next level with a pretty solid defense and prospect core to work with.

Howson woefully mishandled the Nash issue.
The Carter trade, well that was bad luck. Who would know that a 25 (or whatever) professional could act like a 3 year old infant.

Replacement* 03-19-2013 10:20 PM

Whats happening in Columbus is short term only. A team rallying momentarily this season after the loss of Rick Nash. You see this kind of thing commonly where suddenly the lunchbuckets come out and you get a talentless hardworking team but its almost always a shortlived phenomenon.
Mark my word before the end of the season the Blue Jackets will be in another ponderous losing streak.

Thats the last franchise in the league anybody should want to emulate.

Mayor Bee 03-19-2013 10:25 PM

CBJ fan who's actually coming in peace. My old user title was "The Last Howsonite", and I still stand by it.

When Howson got to Columbus, there was nearly no actual NHL talent on the roster. The only guys under 30 who were on the roster and productive were Rick Nash and Nikolai Zherdev. Someone named Duvie Westcott was a top-4 defenseman. If a forward went down, the first three names on the call-up sheet were one of Steve Goertzen, Geoff Platt, or Alex Picard. If it was a defenseman, Derrick Walser. If it was a goalie, prayer was a good option because there never were any goalies around.

There was massive dead weight to deal with. A ton of guys were over 30 and way past their primes, there were bloated contracts galore, and there was nothing resembling a farm system.

In one year of Howson, the team had their best season in history to date. In one more year, they were in the playoffs. The roster turnover was massive and nearly immediate. The quality of drafting skyrocketed. Actual NHL prospects could be called up, some of whom (gasp) had actually been picked later than the first round.

I don't care if 50% of CBJ fans think he sucked. I don't care if 75% do. I don't care if 99% do (and there were those who said 99.64% thought that he did). He did a hell of a lot better job here than anyone would give him credit for.

If Edmonton were to can Tambellini and put Howson in...let's just say that it would make me very happy to not be playing the Oilers more than twice a season. Give him as much of a head start on the NHL roster as what you have right now? As a non-Oilers fan, I do not relish that thought...it's frightening.

Gord 03-19-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Replacement (Post 62007015)
Whats happening in Columbus is short term only. A team rallying momentarily this season after the loss of Rick Nash. You see this kind of thing commonly where suddenly the lunchbuckets come out and you get a talentless hardworking team but its almost always a shortlived phenomenon.
Mark my word before the end of the season the Blue Jackets will be in another ponderous losing streak.

Thats the last franchise in the league anybody should want to emulate.

you're right.
look at their goaltending. it's like the oilers early last year when Khabi was playing over his head. look what happened when goaltending went back to the norm.

402 03-19-2013 10:35 PM

Haha when i seen the title of this thread i thought it would be about avoiding mistakes columbus made not becoming more like the jackets

flashy 03-19-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Replacement (Post 62007015)
Whats happening in Columbus is short term only. A team rallying momentarily this season after the loss of Rick Nash. You see this kind of thing commonly where suddenly the lunchbuckets come out and you get a talentless hardworking team but its almost always a shortlived phenomenon.
Mark my word before the end of the season the Blue Jackets will be in another ponderous losing streak.

Thats the last franchise in the league anybody should want to emulate.

If they finish outside the bottom 5 I would call that a success. They had that 30th spot lined up, and they still might get it. I just see a lot of push from that team trying their damn hardest right now.

it amazes me with the complete lack of high end talent of that club.

flashy 03-19-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billybaroo (Post 62006641)
Howson joins Oilers. They get 7 of 8 points.
Coincidence? I think not.

If they continue that over 25% of the season I will definitely take that into account :laugh:

Replacement* 03-19-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booya42 (Post 62006687)
Columbus's success is a direct result of the work Howson did. To ignore it is asinine.
:shakehead

???

The bigger point is Columbus hasn't had any success. Is a 10 game streak defined as success now? This BJ's club is going straight down the toilet on and off the ice soon enough.

This is pretty much an unlikely run which won't likely be sustained.

Billybaroo* 03-19-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 62008901)
If they continue that over 25% of the season I will definitely take that into account :laugh:

Im sure you would.

Ninety7 03-19-2013 10:45 PM

Cant disagree with the fact that they have 10% of the talent we do and are doing better than us. Really shows how important it is to have players that wear their hearts on their sleeve and go out 110% every night. See: Taylor Hall, Sam Gagner.

enough talk about "we need to be better, we need to get more pucks in, bad bounces, it'll come soon". time to nut up or shut up.

as OP implied, we should be doing way better than we are right now cause this team oozes talent.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.