HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Selleck faces hearing for yesterdays incident, suspended 2 games (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1380683)

JdRoar 03-20-2013 09:34 AM

Selleck faces hearing for yesterdays incident, suspended 2 games

Florida Panthers forward Eric Selleck faces a hearing with the Department of Player Safety on Wednesday afternoon.
Read More Here
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads
Automatic 1 game suspension for Instigator in final five minutes of regulation

Ouch , can't be too fun to get reprimanded after getting whomped on.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/E...UJYo1IczBl.jpg

Ghoste 03-20-2013 10:10 AM

Hopefully nothing too bad happens. They should see that Westgarth was kinda trying to stir things up with Strachan just before. Guess we'll wait and see.

-ghoste

Panthers Rock 03-20-2013 10:28 AM

I appreciate him trying to make a statement, even if it ended badly. I wonder if he'll even be healthy for the next game with the way he got clocked. That said, I cannot see how that was instigation, which is one of the silliest rules in the game anyway. It's ok to fight as long as you don't start it...what?

In any case, Howden, don't go far.

pantherbot 03-20-2013 10:59 AM

it's a silly rule because westgarth was the one who was trying to provoke a response in the first place.

I really like Selleck, waaaay more than what Parros has brought this season. Hope he is ok and sticks with the team.

Ghoste 03-20-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantherbot (Post 62030007)
it's a silly rule because westgarth was the one who was trying to provoke a response in the first place.

I really like Selleck, waaaay more than what Parros has brought this season. Hope he is ok and sticks with the team.

I do too. Even though he won't hang with the big boys like Westgarth, Orr, and Bollig, I like his checking and energy. He just needs to stick with guys like Glass and Martin.

-ghoste

RainingRats 03-20-2013 11:39 AM

Kid makes 55K in the AHL, Dineen gets him beat up, and now he has to pay a fine. Tough debut. I do like him and hope he can earn a spot on the fourth line.

I'd like RampageNate to talk about his fighting ability a little bit and the rest of his game.

adam graves 03-20-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainingRats (Post 62032605)
Kid makes 55K in the AHL, Dineen gets him beat up, and now he has to pay a fine. Tough debut. I do like him and hope he can earn a spot on the fourth line.

I'd like RampageNate to talk about his fighting ability a little bit and the rest of his game.

Rampage Nate has told me kid has taken boxing lessons etc, but doesnt hold himself out to be the next Ali.

Dineen will pay a fine and i am sure the kid wont have any out of pocket.

FlaPnthrsPunk 03-20-2013 12:58 PM

What Goldie & Billy didn't mention nor did they show on our broadcast was that Selleck jumped off the bench before his fight. I only know because of the replay on the NHL Network. I can see why between that and starting a fight with under five minutes left in regulation would call for this measure.

Laus723 03-20-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainingRats (Post 62032605)

Dineen got him beat up?

Ghoste 03-20-2013 03:24 PM

Read on Twitter that Selleck gets 2 game suspension.

In steps Howden.

-ghoste

Panthers Rock 03-20-2013 03:24 PM

NHL has suspended him for 2 games. One of them is automatic, the other added on.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Quote:

The incident occurred at 17:02 of the third period. Selleck was assessed a two-minute minor for instigating plus a five-minute major for fighting and game misconduct under Rule 46.12 (Instigator in Final Five Minutes of Regulation Time [or Anytime in Overtime]) and will serve the automatic one-game suspension in addition to the one-game sanction outlined above.

Erick 03-20-2013 03:58 PM

Anyone have a video of the incident? I did not watch the game last night.

Qward 03-20-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthers Rock (Post 62028501)
I appreciate him trying to make a statement, even if it ended badly. I wonder if he'll even be healthy for the next game with the way he got clocked. That said, I cannot see how that was instigation, which is one of the silliest rules in the game anyway. It's ok to fight as long as you don't start it...what?

In any case, Howden, don't go far.

As of this morning he said he was fine, just sore.

Qward 03-20-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erick (Post 62047525)

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/116930

here you go

Ghoste 03-20-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erick (Post 62047525)

What's funny is I think Parros came off the bench to fight Boulton the other day, maybe not.

-ghoste

Erick 03-20-2013 04:10 PM

Wow, good thing Campbell and Gudbranson were there to help him out. Thanks for posting.

adam graves 03-20-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laus723 (Post 62037291)
Dineen got him beat up?

i like that Dineen didnt put up with the BS, and Sellack gained alot of cred.

Thats Hockey.

RainingRats 03-20-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laus723 (Post 62037291)
Dineen got him beat up?

Yeah, he sent him out against a much bigger fighter and he no choice but to fight him.

GoCanes2013 03-20-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam graves (Post 62037139)
Rampage Nate has told me kid has taken boxing lessons etc, but doesnt hold himself out to be the next Ali.

Dineen will pay a fine and i am sure the kid wont have any out of pocket.

Wouldn't that be illegal?

adam graves 03-20-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoCanes2013 (Post 62070225)

Shhhhhh!

Laus723 03-21-2013 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainingRats (Post 62057557)
Yeah, he sent him out against a much bigger fighter and he no choice but to fight him.

Lmao, oh ok.

jakethesnake23 03-21-2013 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laus723 (Post 62087389)
Lmao, oh ok.

Well, if you look at the facts, Selleck was one the ice THE PREVIOUS shift, only 1 minute before the fight. He is a fourth liner, and played the least amount of any panther (7:47) by almost 3 minutes. So the guy that played the least of anyone was sent over the boards twice within a minute, and this was after Westgarth was pestering Stratchan and trying to get him to drop the gloves.

You have to at least consider the possibility Selleck was sent over the boards for only 1 reason.

pantherbot 03-21-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 (Post 62087655)
Well, if you look at the facts, Selleck was one the ice THE PREVIOUS shift, only 1 minute before the fight. He is a fourth liner, and played the least amount of any panther (7:47) by almost 3 minutes. So the guy that played the least of anyone was sent over the boards twice within a minute, and this was after Westgarth was pestering Stratchan and trying to get him to drop the gloves.

You have to at least consider the possibility Selleck was sent over the boards for only 1 reason.

Selleck was undoubtedly sent over to go fight and was clearly an instigator, but it's a stupid rule to begin with.

It allows situations like this where Westgarth was clearly causing trouble with someone who did not want to fight him, but because of the rule, Selleck who sticks up for his teammate gets a penalty. Even though it was Westgarth who stirred things up to begin with...:shakehead

The instigator in last 5 minutes rule is also stupid. It's there to prevent brawls at the end of games with a blow-out, but still severely penalizes players for reactionary instigators like Selleck's.

Selleck only got the additional penalties and suspensions because the instigator was in the last 5 minutes, but it clearly wasn't because it violated the spirit of the rule to prevent end-game brawls. Which is why I think the two game suspension is more severe than he deserved, and if anything, he didn't deserve any suspension.

adam graves 03-21-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoCanes2013 (Post 62070225)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantherbot (Post 62089195)
Selleck was undoubtedly sent over to go fight and was clearly an instigator, but it's a stupid rule to begin with.

It allows situations like this where Westgarth was clearly causing trouble with someone who did not want to fight him, but because of the rule, Selleck who sticks up for his teammate gets a penalty. Even though it was Westgarth who stirred things up to begin with...:shakehead

The instigator in last 5 minutes rule is also stupid. It's there to prevent brawls at the end of games with a blow-out, but still severely penalizes players for reactionary instigators like Selleck's.

Selleck only got the additional penalties and suspensions because the instigator was in the last 5 minutes, but it clearly wasn't because it violated the spirit of the rule to prevent end-game brawls. Which is why I think the two game suspension is more severe than he deserved, and if anything, he didn't deserve any suspension.

Good assessment. Proud we are no longer in the era of booth gets steamrolled and we watch like ice capaders.

jakethesnake23 03-21-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantherbot (Post 62089195)

I dont disagree with you and im not upset at what happened (other than Selleck getting thumped). Just pointing out to that particular poster that its pretty clear Dineen threw him out there for a fight. I actually wish we had a few more guys like him; not necessarily goons but just big, burly, badasses that punished other teams physically.