HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Roster Speculation Part IV: Find me the next Morris Wanchuk!! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1380975)

brian_griffin 03-20-2013 01:49 PM

Roster Speculation Part IV: Find me the next Morris Wanchuk!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wearegodawful (Post 62031205)
We were all underwhelmed by Ville's entire first year in the blue and gold. He wasn't all that good in any one aspect of the game, so many of us have called for the buyout.

But then came his return from injury this year. In his 3 games (small sample size), he's really looked like a player who deserves his 4.5 mil salary. Not only does he look more comfortable under a new coach, but he seems to have "adjusted" to our style of play. His skating and puck possession are a strength, and he's benefitting from getting minutes with Hodg/Pom. We'll have to see how the rest of the season goes, but we may have spoken too soon when we called for a buyout. Leino looks like he really wants to be here, and be a key member of the team. If he can keep up this level of play, I have no problem with keeping him in the top 9.

[B]What do you think?[/B

I think you're Leino's agent. :sarcasm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLH (Post 62031629)
If some of the more vocal posters on this board were "pro-Ennis" we would already have had three or four threads on how Ennis is getting fewer offensive zone starts than any Sabres full time forward sans Ott and despite that finishes in the offensive zone more than any Sabres forward with the exceptions of Foligno and Stafford. Or how his quality of competition is the best among Sabres top 6 forwards and despite this (and the d-zone starts) his goals against per 60 minutes is the lowest among Sabres top-6 forwards. Or how despite the heavy defensive responsibilities in a position and role he may not be best suited for he takes the least amount of penalties per 60 minutes of any forward on the team. Or when he's on the ice a putrid face-off team wins more than 55% of defensive draws. And despite the defensive role he's poorly suited for, he has 21 points in 29 games with garbage wingers at 23 years of age.

Instead, we get non stop conversation on topics like Noronen needing more starts, Drury's intangibles making him much more valuable than Briere, how a guy that will almost assuredly go down as one of the top 5 winningest coaches in NHL history is a complete buffoon, or whatever the next hot topic the geniuses on HF18 come up with.

The reality is the incompetent general manager is forcing him into a difficult spot and Ennis is actually doing pretty well with it all things considered.

I would never have guessed all the first paragraph was true. Nice job!!

Still wish he wouldn't get pushed off the puck so easily, though.
And still wish his teammates would deal out some retribution everytime he's used to clean the glass.

joshjull 03-20-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian_griffin (Post 62040115)
I think you're Leino's agent. :sarcasm:



I would never have guessed all the first paragraph was true. Nice job!!

Still wish he wouldn't get pushed off the puck so easily, though.
And still wish his teammates would deal out some retribution everytime he's used to clean the glass.

He can fix a lot of that himself. Sometimes he thinks he's quicker than he is and tries to change direction when a defender is heading towards him. More than a few times he hasn't been fast enough and it leads to him getting plastered face first into the boards.

Zip15 03-20-2013 02:08 PM

Just picking some nits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLH (Post 62031629)
If some of the more vocal posters on this board were "pro-Ennis" we would already have had three or four threads on how Ennis is getting fewer offensive zone starts than any Sabres full time forward sans Ott and despite that finishes in the offensive zone more than any Sabres forward with the exceptions of Foligno and Stafford. Or how his quality of competition is the best among Sabres top 6 forwards and despite this (and the d-zone starts) his goals against per 60 minutes is the lowest among Sabres top-6 forwards.

His qualcomp is lower than Ott, who is unquestionably a top-6 forward on this team. It's also lower than Stafford's who has been a top-6 forward for a majority of the season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLH (Post 62031629)
Or how despite the heavy defensive responsibilities in a position and role he may not be best suited for he takes the least amount of penalties per 60 minutes of any forward on the team. Or when he's on the ice a putrid face-off team wins more than 55% of defensive draws.

You're being misleading. The guy hardly takes defensive zone faceoffs anymore. He's taken four defensive zone faceoffs in the last seven games, and he's lost all of them. That stat is essentially giving him credit for Ott winning defensive zone faceoffs for that line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLH (Post 62031629)
And despite the defensive role he's poorly suited for, he has 21 points in 29 games with garbage wingers at 23 years of age.

Another misleading stat devoid of context. His 5-on-5 pts/60 mins is barely above Stafford's (1.71 and 1.67)--I'm sure that "Stafford is playing with garbage centers" thread will be started any minute by someone. :rolleyes: But Ennis is second on the team in PP pts/60, where he racks up the points on Vanek's PP unit. Ennis is not facing tough defensive responsibilities at 5-on-4, which is where he's boosting his offensive numbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLH (Post 62031629)
The reality is the incompetent general manager is forcing him into a difficult spot and Ennis is actually doing pretty well with it all things considered.

That much I'll agree with.

gallagt01 03-20-2013 02:36 PM

Any defensive prospects that aren't quite as heralded as other top prospects that might be dangled in a trade for Pominville?

ImpressedDAHagent 03-20-2013 02:46 PM

I totally forgot about the Doan offer, And it eems to have gotten lost in the conversation about our gm.

Matt Martin 03-20-2013 02:51 PM

Roster Makeup IV: Our Crappy Players Have No Value
 
Brennan's the first to be voted off the island.

Miller apparently broke a mirror or something if you ask Kypreos.

St. Louis is obsessed with us.

Stafford's been shopped around more than Dominic Moore in an average year.

Some GMs probably still think Regehr's worthy of a top-4 spot.



BUT


MOST OF ALL



COLLEGE FREE AGENTS!

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/115...-it-rain-o.gif

Go!

sabresandcanucks 03-20-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip15 (Post 62041361)
Just picking some nits.



His qualcomp is lower than Ott, who is unquestionably a top-6 forward on this team. It's also lower than Stafford's who has been a top-6 forward for a majority of the season.



You're being misleading. The guy hardly takes defensive zone faceoffs anymore. He's taken four defensive zone faceoffs in the last seven games, and he's lost all of them. That stat is essentially giving him credit for Ott winning defensive zone faceoffs for that line.



Another misleading stat devoid of context. His 5-on-5 pts/60 mins is barely above Stafford's (1.71 and 1.67)--I'm sure that "Stafford is playing with garbage centers" thread will be started any minute by someone. :rolleyes: But Ennis is second on the team in PP pts/60, where he racks up the points on Vanek's PP unit. Ennis is not facing tough defensive responsibilities at 5-on-4, which is where he's boosting his offensive numbers.



That much I'll agree with.

Thank you for posting this as I was beginning to type out a similar response.

McTank 03-20-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent (Post 62043487)
I totally forgot about the Doan offer, And it eems to have gotten lost in the conversation about our gm.

That wouldve been an awful signing

Shmuffalo 03-20-2013 03:56 PM

This is lovely

boots electric 03-20-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood (Post 62046011)
That wouldve been an awful signing

Yeah, because if there's one thing this team has enough of, it's solid leadership

Matt Martin 03-20-2013 04:08 PM

:< aw jj

I live for those funny titles

Beerz 03-20-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshjull (Post 62040441)
He can fix a lot of that himself. Sometimes he thinks he's quicker than he is and tries to change direction when a defender is heading towards him. More than a few times he hasn't been fast enough and it leads to him getting plastered face first into the boards.


I think the issue with Ennis is..he sees someone coming...and tries to protect the puck by turning... more natural instinct than anything.

BCS 03-20-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boots electric (Post 62047557)
Yeah, because if there's one thing this team has enough of, it's solid leadership

A 36-year-old bringing second-line production and "solid leadership" for the low price of $7.5 million a year (assuming Buffalo's offer actually was 4/30). Yeah, that would've worked out great. This team would be bad with Doan, too, and we'd have all been screaming for a buyout by 2014. Pointless.

McTank 03-20-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boots electric (Post 62047557)
Yeah, because if there's one thing this team has enough of, it's solid leadership

A 36 year old that doesnt produce anything special for 4/30? Ya I'll pass

Beerz 03-20-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood (Post 62049761)
A 36 year old that doesnt produce anything special for 4/30? Ya I'll pass

12 hits..12 shots...2 goals last night. I think thats pretty special.

Moskau 03-20-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerz (Post 62050809)
12 hits..12 shots...2 goals last night. I think thats pretty special.

You missed him falling to a knee and acting like he was injured to sell a call? Then getting up like nothing was wrong and having his teammates run the person that "injured" him for the remainder of the game? His team still lost.

Doan is a loser. He's won nothing, at any level as a Hockey player. What would adding him have accomplished? His teams always lose the same way Buffalo always loses.

SabresBillsBuffalo 03-20-2013 05:20 PM

Pominville: Population St.Louis/Los Angeles

Beerz 03-20-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moskau (Post 62051251)
You missed him falling to a knee and acting like he was injured to sell a call? Then getting up like nothing was wrong and having his teammates run the person that "injured" him for the remainder of the game? His team still lost.

Doan is a loser. He's won nothing, at any level as a Hockey player. What would adding him have accomplished? His teams always lose the same way Buffalo always loses.

all players do that.... :teach2:

McTank 03-20-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerz (Post 62050809)
12 hits..12 shots...2 goals last night. I think thats pretty special.

Stafford had a big game this year too, look at his season stats and not one game please. He's on the decline and not worth close to 7.5 a year

Beerz 03-20-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood (Post 62052869)
Stafford had a big game this year too, look at his season stats and not one game please. He's on the decline and not worth close to 7.5 a year

He's on pace to have a pretty typical Shane Doan year... 7.5 is tough to swallow yup...but its not the end of the world.
But my point was...that is what he can deliver.... I would call that pretty special.

Rhett4 03-20-2013 06:23 PM

From an ESPN hockey writer:

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance

Chatted w/Darcy Regier who said any trades Sabres make between now and deadline will be focused on improving team for next season.

Nothing new. I wouldn't expect Regier to announce a firesale, even if he was considering one, but hey, it's something else to chew on while we wait to see what the heck happens.

couture23 03-20-2013 06:35 PM

What's with Darcy shying away from college free agents? Has he expressed any interest in DeKeyser?

BuiltTagonTough 03-20-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhett4 (Post 62054329)
From an ESPN hockey writer:

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance

Chatted w/Darcy Regier who said any trades Sabres make between now and deadline will be focused on improving team for next season.

Nothing new. I wouldn't expect Regier to announce a firesale, even if he was considering one, but hey, it's something else to chew on while we wait to see what the heck happens.

Sell Mortimer sell!

sba 03-20-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhett4 (Post 62054329)
From an ESPN hockey writer:

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance

Chatted w/Darcy Regier who said any trades Sabres make between now and deadline will be focused on improving team for next season.

Nothing new. I wouldn't expect Regier to announce a firesale, even if he was considering one, but hey, it's something else to chew on while we wait to see what the heck happens.

He's not going to firesale.

Old Navy Goat 03-20-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by couture23 (Post 62055117)
What's with Darcy shying away from college free agents? Has he expressed any interest in DeKeyser?

He signed Flynn last year, which came out of the blue so he's probably kicking the tires on some of them. He's not exactly real vocal in expressing his intentions.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.