HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   How would you rate the teams in the West? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1381363)

TaLoN 03-20-2013 11:54 PM

How would you rate the teams in the West?
 
Looks like we're starting to see the West sort itself out a bit. It's not as tight as it was a couple weeks ago. How would you rate the teams right now?

Here's my break down...

Tier 1:
Chicago
Anaheim

Tier 2:
Los Angeles
Minnesota
St.Louis

Tier 3:
Vancouver
Detroit
San Jose
Phoenix
Columbus (Yes, I did!)

Tier 4:
Edmonton
Dallas
Nashville
Calgary
Colorado

Sojourn 03-21-2013 12:20 AM

Those rankings work for me. Chicago and Anaheim are clearly at the top right now, and I definitely think there is separation between teams like Los Angeles, Minnesota, and St. Louis and the rest of the pack. Columbus has really impressed me lately. Their fans should be proud of that team.

Edge of Sanity* 03-21-2013 12:24 AM

Tier 1:

Anaheim
Chicago

Tier 2:

Everyone else except Colorado

Tier 3:

Colorado

Richie10 03-21-2013 12:26 AM

LA is closer to Anaheim and Chicago than St. Louis or Minnesota. Much higher goal differential, vastly superior possession statistics, etc. etc.

Chicago and Anaheim have the points, sure, but there's a reason we're starting to see LA separate from the pack. They got off to a terrible 3-5-2 start and have since gone 14-5-0. And thats with Mitchell and Greene on the IR and Quick putting up the worst statistical performance of his career. They're right up there with anyone in the league.

NothingLikeAnEJ 03-21-2013 12:27 AM

I'd rate them as 14 teams with a system and then Colorado pond hockey hope Duchene and PAP and Landeskog and ROR and EJ steal you one with talent alone while Varly hangs out to dry and has to stand on his head to give you a chance every night.

Edge of Sanity* 03-21-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie10 (Post 62084175)
LA is closer to Anaheim and Chicago than St. Louis or Minnesota. Much higher goal differential, vastly superior possession statistics, etc. etc.

Chicago and Anaheim have the points, sure, but there's a reason we're starting to see LA separate from the pack. They got off to a terrible 3-5-2 start and have since gone 14-5-0. And thats with Mitchell and Greene on the IR and Quick putting up the worst statistical performance of his career. They're right up there with anyone in the league.

you're not biased at all

PhoenyX 03-21-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sojourn (Post 62083947)
Those rankings work for me. Chicago and Anaheim are clearly at the top right now, and I definitely think there is separation between teams like Los Angeles, Minnesota, and St. Louis and the rest of the pack. Columbus has really impressed me lately. Their fans should be proud of that team.

I really don't think Los Angeles, Minnesota, and St. Louis are that far off from Anaheim and Chicago. All three of those teams are tough to play against and are going to be threats come playoff time.

Trance Kuja 03-21-2013 12:28 AM

Ducks
Blackhawks

Kings
Blues
Wild

Blue Jackets
Canucks

Everyone else

AngelDuck 03-21-2013 12:28 AM

I like your rankings to be honest. I agree with pretty much all of it

syz 03-21-2013 12:30 AM

Good tier: Ducks, Blackhawks

Bad tier: rest of conference.

LiquidSnake 03-21-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syz (Post 62084347)
Good tier: Ducks, Blackhawks

Bad tier: rest of conference.

Agreed.

Art of Sedinery 03-21-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timeghoul (Post 62084137)
Tier 1:

Anaheim
Chicago

Tier 2:

Everyone else except Colorado

Tier 3:

Colorado

Add Calgary to tier 3.

Sojourn 03-21-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoenyX (Post 62084239)
I really don't think Los Angeles, Minnesota, and St. Louis are that far off from Anaheim and Chicago. All three of those teams are tough to play against and are going to be threats come playoff time.

I agree, absolutely, but it's also hard to argue that Anaheim and Chicago don't belong in their own tier. The difference may not be great, but it's enough that I think there should be two tiers separating those two groups. Call it Tier 1 and Tier 1.5 if you want.

TaLoN 03-21-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie10 (Post 62084175)
LA is closer to Anaheim and Chicago than St. Louis or Minnesota. Much higher goal differential, vastly superior possession statistics, etc. etc.

Chicago and Anaheim have the points, sure, but there's a reason we're starting to see LA separate from the pack. They got off to a terrible 3-5-2 start and have since gone 14-5-0. And thats with Mitchell and Greene on the IR and Quick putting up the worst statistical performance of his career. They're right up there with anyone in the league.

I can definitely see the reasoning behind it... but I held off on that because Minnesota has yet to play LA this season. I think Minnesota and St.Louis are definitely in the same tier, but don't think we have a clear idea about the difference between LA and Minnesota until they start playing each other.

First matchup between the two... Sat March 30th.

CoachBadkitten 03-21-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timeghoul (Post 62084137)
Tier 1:

Anaheim
Chicago

Tier 2:

Everyone else except Colorado

Tier 3:

Colorado

This is probably the most accurate.

mkoivu9* 03-21-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie10 (Post 62084175)
LA is closer to Anaheim and Chicago than St. Louis or Minnesota. Much higher goal differential, vastly superior possession statistics, etc. etc.

Chicago and Anaheim have the points, sure, but there's a reason we're starting to see LA separate from the pack. They got off to a terrible 3-5-2 start and have since gone 14-5-0. And thats with Mitchell and Greene on the IR and Quick putting up the worst statistical performance of his career. They're right up there with anyone in the league.

Wild have gone 13-5-1 in that same stretch.

KINGS17 03-21-2013 12:36 AM

I'm fine with the rankings in the OP for the regular season.

I'm also fine with the how the Kings' style of play will translate to success in the playoffs. In a seven game series I see the Hawks, Kings and Ducks as the toughest teams to beat. Anaheim made a smart acquisition in picking up Steckel.

Art of Sedinery 03-21-2013 12:37 AM

1. Chicagaheim
2. St. Minlacouvroit
3. San Dalumbnixtonville
4. Calgarado

Taze em 03-21-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaLoN (Post 62082643)
Looks like we're starting to see the West sort itself out a bit. It's not as tight as it was a couple weeks ago. How would you rate the teams right now?

Here's my break down...

Tier 1:
Chicago
Anaheim

Tier 2:
Los Angeles
Minnesota
St.Louis

Tier 3:
Vancouver
Detroit
San Jose
Phoenix
Columbus (Yes, I did!)

Tier 4:
Edmonton
Dallas
Nashville
Calgary
Colorado

Very good list.

LA and STL could move to tier 1

VAN could move to tier 2

Having said that, no team will be favored in a 7 game series against ANA or CHI.

TaLoN 03-21-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art of Sedinery (Post 62084605)
1. Chicagaheim
2. St. Minlacouvroit
3. San Dalumbnixtonville
4. Calgarado

Ok, that post is so full of AWESOME! :yo:

Taze em 03-21-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie10 (Post 62084175)
LA is closer to Anaheim and Chicago than St. Louis or Minnesota. Much higher goal differential, vastly superior possession statistics, etc. etc.

Chicago and Anaheim have the points, sure, but there's a reason we're starting to see LA separate from the pack. They got off to a terrible 3-5-2 start and have since gone 14-5-0. And thats with Mitchell and Greene on the IR and Quick putting up the worst statistical performance of his career. They're right up there with anyone in the league.

Not that close. They have gone on a great 14-5 run? The Hawks and Ducks have 3 losses ON THE SEASON.

BigGumby 03-21-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie10 (Post 62084175)
LA is closer to Anaheim and Chicago than St. Louis or Minnesota. Much higher goal differential, vastly superior possession statistics, etc. etc.

Chicago and Anaheim have the points, sure, but there's a reason we're starting to see LA separate from the pack. They got off to a terrible 3-5-2 start and have since gone 14-5-0. And thats with Mitchell and Greene on the IR and Quick putting up the worst statistical performance of his career. They're right up there with anyone in the league.

The only reason I disagree with you is because LA has failed to show that they can win on the road consistently. With Chicago being 13-2-2 and ANA being 9-2-4, LA's 5-8-1 sticks out like a sore thumb.

If they can manage 4 wins out of the upcoming 5 game road trip, I can feel comfortable agreeing with you, 3 and I start to waiver, but 2 or less reaffirms my position.

TaLoN 03-21-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkoivu9 (Post 62084523)
Wild have gone 13-5-1 in that same stretch.

So LA and Minnesota are basically neck and neck in the same stretch. More reason to wait to split them unless one severely outplays the other when they start to actually play each other.

KINGS17 03-21-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taze em (Post 62084695)
Not that close. They have gone on a great 14-5 run? The Hawks and Ducks have 3 losses ON THE SEASON.

...and they'll all be 0-0 again when the playoffs start. :)

I am really hoping for a series with the Hawks, Ducks, or both. I think we would see some really good hockey. The Kings seem to have the Blues' number, so don't be offended St. Louis fans.

I guess the Kings and Wild will be testing each other near the end of the month.

Sergei Shirokov 03-21-2013 12:51 AM

Avs fans in this thread crack me up.

Don't worry guys I'm sure your coaching staff might be able to come up with some sort of system one of these days. :laugh:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.