HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sproul heads list of top drafted OHL defensemen (incl. Ryan Murphy) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1381703)

HF Article 03-21-2013 01:00 PM

Sproul heads list of top drafted OHL defensemen (incl. Ryan Murphy)

With five of the past six first-overall NHL draft picks being forwards from the Ontario Hockey League, OHL defensemen have had a lot of practice playing against elite offensive talent. And that’s reflected in the continued development of these 10 promising young NHL-drafted defensemen.

And it’s no surprise that all of these blueliners are anchors on playoff-bound teams (with two notable exceptions), as the presence of a dominant defender is a key part of a successful equation.

HM. Connor Murphy, Sarnia Sting.
NHL Rights: Phoenix Coyotes (1st round, 20th overall, 2011)

Though not part of the top 10, an honourable mention has to be extended to the Sarnia Sting’s 6’5”, 205-pound defenseman, who found his season cut short for the second consecutive year due to knee problems.… read more

More...

Xav 03-21-2013 05:36 PM

No Frankie Corrado?

WesNichols14 03-21-2013 08:48 PM

good for Sproul, guys rate of development is insane

DKQ 03-21-2013 10:45 PM

Surprised to see Koekkoek on this list, thought he had a pretty mediocre year. Also thought Ceci was worse than his ranking here would indicate. I would've put Pedan or Corrado instead of Koekkoek and would've given the HM to Dougie Hamilton over Murphy

Xav 03-22-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKQ (Post 62151871)
Surprised to see Koekkoek on this list, thought he had a pretty mediocre year. Also thought Ceci was worse than his ranking here would indicate. I would've put Pedan or Corrado instead of Koekkoek and would've given the HM to Dougie Hamilton over Murphy

To be fair Hamilton only played 30 or so games

Sergei Shirokov 03-22-2013 03:48 AM

How is Corrado not on the list?

I feel like HF gives the very few prospects we have no love, outside of maybe Jensen.

DKQ 03-22-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier Ouellet (Post 62157893)
To be fair Hamilton only played 30 or so games

Only one fewer game than Murphy, and he was the best defenseman in the OHL for those 30 games

Fogelhund 03-22-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKQ (Post 62161461)
Only one fewer game than Murphy, and he was the best defenseman in the OHL for those 30 games

Yes, but he isn't an OHL defenseman anymore is he, and I believe this is a list of OHL defenseman. He clearly would be number one if he was.

bloggerfanthe* 03-22-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov (Post 62160501)
How is Corrado not on the list?

I feel like HF gives the very few prospects we have no love, outside of maybe Jensen.

Perhaps because he's overrated and not worthy enough to make the top 10 list?

DKQ 03-22-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fogelhund (Post 62161607)
Yes, but he isn't an OHL defenseman anymore is he, and I believe this is a list of OHL defenseman. He clearly would be number one if he was.

I guess that's fair. I just think his half season was more worthy or recognition than Murphy's, regardless of the reason why they only played half a season

arsmaster 03-22-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7venbarschi (Post 62165337)

Probably not, considering last year the OHL had him as a top 5 defender in the league and he's only gotten better?

HF loves draft status.

DKQ 03-22-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arsmaster (Post 62168255)
Probably not, considering last year the OHL had him as a top 5 defender in the league and he's only gotten better?

HF loves draft status.

Corrado was better in 2012. He probably should be on this list, but it's not a horrendous exclusion by an means. He wouldn't rank any higher than 8th likely

wingsnut19 03-22-2013 10:41 AM

Hamilton was mentioned as a special addition at the end of the article. I think that is fair enough.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin 03-22-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7venbarschi (Post 62165337)

There's plenty of other overrated players on that list, in positions they shouldn't be. You could argue its based on talent, but more talented players are behind players playing better. I don't know what criteria they used, but if it was based on talent, it wouldn't be the way it is. If it was based on playing level, it wouldn't be the way it is.

InjuredChoker 03-22-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin (Post 62169579)
There's plenty of other overrated players on that list, in positions they shouldn't be. You could argue its based on talent, but more talented players are behind players playing better. I don't know what criteria they used, but if it was based on talent, it wouldn't be the way it is. If it was based on playing level, it wouldn't be the way it is.

You mean Sproul?

Faidh ar Rud Eigin 03-22-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemisti (Post 62183321)
You mean Sproul?

No I mean quite a few players on that list.

It should be a list of the best defensemen prospects in the OHL but it can't possibly be that. A key reason for that is Harrington at number two. Great defensively, should be a premium shutdown guy in the NHL but he has next to no offensive upside. Doesn't move the puck well, shot isn't anything special and there's a reason London doesn't play him on the powerplay. His lack of offense will prelude him from every being a legitimate top 2 defensemen. A minutes muching #3 who plays the top PK unit is his upside at best.

HockeySensible 03-22-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin (Post 62186213)

It should be a list of the best defensemen prospects in the OHL but it can't possibly be that. A key reason for that is Harrington at number two. Great defensively, should be a premium shutdown guy in the NHL but he has next to no offensive upside. Doesn't move the puck well, shot isn't anything special and there's a reason London doesn't play him on the powerplay. His lack of offense will prelude him from every being a legitimate top 2 defensemen. A minutes muching #3 who plays the top PK unit is his upside at best.

I watch Harrington a lot and I am a fan of him.. but I doubt he becomes a #3. He literally has next to no offensive game and he's not the best skater; not terrible, just not great for "only" being 6'1". I see him being more a #4 or really good #5.

A Niklas Hjarlmsson-type.. but even then, I think Hjalmarsson has more puck-moving upside/game.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin 03-22-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossTheBoss (Post 62195099)
I watch Harrington a lot and I am a fan of him.. but I doubt he becomes a #3. He literally has next to no offensive game and he's not the best skater; not terrible, just not great for "only" being 6'1". I see him being more a #4 or really good #5.

A Niklas Hjarlmsson-type.. but even then, I think Hjalmarsson has more puck-moving upside/game.

I said that's his max upside. I also don't see him becoming a #3 but he's got the potential because of his defensive insticts.

Which is why I can't agree with him at number two on that list.

I've said enough about Sproul in other threads but it's the same thing with him, except the opposite. His defense will never be good enough for him to ever be a top pairing defensemen, and size + bad defense is a bad combination.

Should have been:
1. R. Murphy
2. Maatta
3. Ceci
4. Sproul
5. C. Murphy
6. Corrado
7. Koekkoek
8. Harrington
9. Percy
10. Pelech

Guys like Levi, DeMelo I don't see having much NHL upside. Like I said a few posts ago, really don't know what they based this on. It seems like it's on play this season yet Ceci who's been arguably atrocious defensively (Especially with Ottawa) was high.

Trvp Lord 03-22-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin (Post 62207133)
I said that's his max upside. I also don't see him becoming a #3 but he's got the potential because of his defensive insticts.

I've said enough about Sproul in other threads but it's the same thing with him, except the opposite. His defense will never be good enough for him to ever be a top pairing defensemen, and size + bad defense is a bad combination.

Should have been:
1. R. Murphy
2. Maatta
3. Ceci

4. Sproul
5. C. Murphy
6. Corrado
7. Koekkoek
8. Harrington
9. Percy
10. Pelech

Guys like Levi, DeMelo I don't see having much NHL upside. Like I said a few posts ago, really don't know what they based this on. It seems like it's on play this season yet Ceci who's been arguably atrocious defensively (Especially with Ottawa) was high.

why?

Faidh ar Rud Eigin 03-22-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DatsRatchet (Post 62207341)
why?

Highest NHL upside.

HockeySensible 03-22-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Should have been:
1. R. Murphy
2. Maatta
3. Ceci
4. Sproul
5. C. Murphy
6. Corrado
7. Koekkoek
8. Harrington
9. Percy
10. Pelech

No, I got that.. I just don't see it being that high. He's going to be a guy that you want on your team, I just don't see him being a big-impact Dman - in the sense that most #3 Dmen are very good, either defensively or offensively. Harrington is very good defensively, but like I said, his skating at his size (and he's not small - not trying to imply that) is going to be an issue when he's trying to shutdown big, fast and strong NHL players.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin 03-22-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossTheBoss (Post 62209437)
No, I got that.. I just don't see it being that high. He's going to be a guy that you want on your team, I just don't see him being a big-impact Dman - in the sense that most #3 Dmen are very good, either defensively or offensively. Harrington is very good defensively, but like I said, his skating at his size (and he's not small - not trying to imply that) is going to be an issue when he's trying to shutdown big, fast and strong NHL players.

You're talking to the wrong person if you want to get into a discussion of how good Harrington is. I've probably been one of his biggest detractors over the past few seasons. As in Don Hay was the embodiement of the trickster god Loki when he brought Scott Harrington to Team Canada's camp in 2011.

ottawah 03-23-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin (Post 62186213)

His upside may be a number 3, but remember its likely 50% of the players on this list never have a regular NHL job. There are a number of boom or bust players on this list. They may turn into a top pairing, but they just as well could be an AHL defender for their careers.

Vatican Roulette 03-23-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

His defense will never be good enough for him to ever be a top pairing defensemen, and size + bad defense is a bad combination.

Should have been:
1. R. Murphy

Ironic.

stayinalive 03-23-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Should have been:
1. R. Murphy
2. Maatta
3. Ceci
4. Sproul
5. C. Murphy
6. Corrado
7. Koekkoek
8. Harrington

9. Percy
10. Pelech

I would like to see your reasoning for this.