HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Free Agents Panthers should target in the Summer? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1381881)

Tyler Durden 03-21-2013 05:13 PM

Free Agents Panthers should target in the Summer?

Who do you think are some free agents come summer that the Florida Panthers should target? Forwards? Defence? Goalies Who can we afford? For how much and how long?

SoupyFIN 03-21-2013 06:11 PM

First things first, get rid of Clemmensen and get a proper veteran mentor for Markie, maybe even through a trade.

Tyler Durden 03-21-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupyFIN (Post 62118017)
First things first, get rid of Clemmensen and get a proper veteran mentor for Markie, maybe even through a trade.

I agree with you! Who do you think are some names they should go after? Even though they have 1 more year on their contract after this season I think we should look at Hedberg or Gustavsson.

p9ers 03-21-2013 06:50 PM

Bozak, David Clarkson and Smid.

Tyler Durden 03-21-2013 06:53 PM

Bozak would look good in a Panthers jersey!

ShootIt 03-21-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p9ers (Post 62122999)

This.

However on Clarkson, how much is his success based off the players around him?

Serious question, and not a knock on him, just don't know how much of his recent success is off of a player like Kovy.

Bozak would be a nice backup plan to Weiss, hopefully, it would be a shorter deal, than a 5-6 year deal. 2-4 years.

RainingRats 03-21-2013 09:12 PM

If the Rangers buy out Brad Richards which is sounding very likely, we should go after him. He's having an off season and we might be able to pick him up.

AaronEkbald 03-21-2013 09:40 PM

Ryane Clowe

PantherboyHTR 03-21-2013 10:20 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a first line of Flash - Richards/Weiss - Clarkson next season.

I think Roy will demand too much.

Igilna would be awesome, but it probably won't happen.

I think Antropov could be a short-term fill at 1st line C if first options fail.

Or maybe even Cervenka since he is from the Czech like Flash :dunno:

Not sure on the goalie. Maybe fork out a bit for Nabakov? Doubt he wants to back-up. Same as Emery. Less for Khabibulin? He is old, but back to decent numbers this year, though limited. Mason, Ellis? Are they really that much of an improvement over Clemmer? Maybe Ellis.
I'd go Khabibulin, then Ellis. Unless one of Nabokov or Emery would still back-up.

MillarWithASave 03-21-2013 10:29 PM

Here comes the Panthers fans saying "You guys are out of your minds if you think we pick up a quality free-agent this summer."

I think we have a chance at quality free agents as any other team does, we do have Brian Campbell at 7.5/YR, and many other guys overpaid like Kopecky, Versteeg, Jovo.

PantherboyHTR 03-21-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MillarWithASave (Post 62150589)
Here comes the Panthers fans saying "You guys are out of your minds if you think we pick up a quality free-agent this summer."

I think we have a chance at quality free agents as any other team does, we do have Brian Campbell at 7.5/YR, and many other guys overpaid like Kopecky, Versteeg, Jovo.

Have you been drinking? :laugh:

This guy is the real deal, a true competitor at a cap hit of 3 mil for 2 more seasons. Already won two cups and only 31.

Let me know where we can find more of these guys.

MillarWithASave 03-21-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR (Post 62152161)
Have you been drinking? :laugh:

This guy is the real deal, a true competitor at a cap hit of 3 mil for 2 more seasons. Already won two cups and only 31.

Let me know where we can find more of these guys.

Yes. :laugh:

I don't know, I guess I just see him being a true 3rd liner on a healthy team. He has really proven to be a great player this year, but next year when we have a healthy team is he going to be putting up numbers like he is now? Then again, if you factor out next year, and the previous years and focus just on this year, then yes he is well worth 3M.

Madhatter73 03-21-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MillarWithASave (Post 62153193)
Yes. :laugh:

I don't know, I guess I just see him being a true 3rd liner on a healthy team. He has really proven to be a great player this year, but next year when we have a healthy team is he going to be putting up numbers like he is now? Then again, if you factor out next year, and the previous years and focus just on this year, then yes he is well worth 3M.

Kopecky does a ton of the little stuff that wins games. Board battles... Turnover generation... It doesn't show on the score sheet but he's been amazing at the little things since we got him....

gizmo12688 03-21-2013 11:40 PM

It all comes down to how much we are willing to shell out for these FA.

flapanthersfan 03-22-2013 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler Durden (Post 62118913)
I agree with you! Who do you think are some names they should go after? Even though they have 1 more year on their contract after this season I think we should look at Hedberg or Gustavsson.

Gustavsson is terrible.

Hedberg is a great backup but i'd like to bring in someone who could challenge Markstrom for the #1 gig.

I said it several times - Anton Khudobin would be perfect. Two guys with big-time upside looking for a chance and would push each other.

flapanthersfan 03-22-2013 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p9ers (Post 62122999)

Smid is a UFA? I like him alot.

Clarkson would be great but likely is going to get massively overpaid ala Brandon Prust.

No thanks on Bozak. I'd bring Weiss back waayyy before shelling out $4+ mil for a tweener-top 6 forward like Bozak. Weiss at least is a legitimate second line center.

flapanthersfan 03-22-2013 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainingRats (Post 62143413)
If the Rangers buy out Brad Richards which is sounding very likely, we should go after him. He's having an off season and we might be able to pick him up.

agreed - i'd take a flyer on a former elite center way before i'd invest significant resources on a player like Bozak.

flapanthersfan 03-22-2013 02:46 AM

does anyone have a list of the upcoming UFAs?

jakethesnake23 03-22-2013 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MillarWithASave (Post 62150589)

I agree we have a chance at the big names in that Florida is an extremely desireable place to live and play. Lower tax, less media exposure, great weather and gold courses means that players WOULD come here.

The issue is how much management is willing to spend and history would suggest that is not alot.

As far as us having Campbell and other overpriced guys, I dont think we can look at that as evidence that we are willing to spend. The reason being that we were something like 20 million below the cap floor that particular offseason. We NEEDED to sign those guys just to spend the minimum. We are currently middle of the road in cap hit, do you really see us adding more salary and spending $70 million a year or more?

SoupyFIN 03-22-2013 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainingRats (Post 62143413)

He's going to be set for life with the millions he's already made, especially if the Rangers do buy him out. Money isn't going to be the main factor anymore.

He's going back to Tampa with his buddies Vinny&Marty IMO, if he's bought out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flapanthersfan (Post 62160009)
Smid is a UFA? I like him alot.

When healthy:

Campbell-Guds
Kulikov-Kuba
Brennan-Strachan/Weaver/Jovo

No room for Smid, unless Tallon makes a trade.

wunderpanda 03-22-2013 06:04 AM

capgeek has a list of upcoming UFA http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents :)

Leggio has been with the Sabres AHL affiliate, could be a good fit as backup goalie

Coolburn 03-22-2013 09:03 AM

This discussion can often lead to some unrealistic expectations too. The new salary cap is $64.3M for next season and keep in mind, we already have $45M committed to players for next season. And thats before we re-sign 3 important players on our team currently in Mueller, Matthias & Markstrom. So I'll just make a list of possible AFFORDABLE options for us and I'm not suggesting we sign all of these guys either:

Forwards
LW/RW Ryane Clowe - currently cap hit $3.625M (salary is $4M)
LW Clarke MacArthur - currently cap hit $3.25M (salary is $3.25M)
C Stephen Weiss - currently cap hit $3.1M (salary is $4.1M)
C Tyler Bozak - currently cap hit $1.5M (salary is $1.4M)
LW/RW Raffi Torres - currently cap hit $1.75M (salary is $1.75M)
C Boyd Gordon - currently cap hit $1.325M (salary is $1.325M)
LW/C Drew Miller - currently cap hit $837.5K (salary is $850K)
C Peter Regin - currently cap hit $800K (salary is $800K)
C Mark Letestu - currently cap hit $625K (salary is $600K)
RW/LW Eric Fehr - currently cap hit $600K (salary is $600K)

Defense
Robin Regehr - currently cap hit $4.02M (salary is $4M)
Jordan Leopold - currently cap hit $3M (salary is $3M)
Ian White - currently cap hit $2.875M (salary is $2.75M)
Ladislav Smid - currently cap hit $2.25M (salary is $2.25M)
Ryan O'Byrne - currently cap hit $1.8M (salary is $2M)
Jordie Benn - currently cap hit $525K (salary is $525K)

Goalies
Ray Emery - currently cap hit $1.15M (salary is $1.15M)
Thomas Greiss - currently cap hit $587.5K (salary is $625K)

There will probably be more guys to target than this but we just don't know right now who will be non-tendered RFAs that become UFAs, who is available for a cheap trade, and who gets bought out. So I'm not including a bunch of guys that would probably be targets if they ever hit the market.

Laus723 03-22-2013 09:16 AM

Wouldn't mind going after any of Bozak, Clowe, (would love) Clarkson, Emerson, Regher, and I believe Orr will be a UFA. Everything Parros isn't. Move him out.

PantherboyHTR 03-22-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolburn (Post 62165129)
This discussion can often lead to some unrealistic expectations too. The new salary cap is $64.3M for next season and keep in mind, we already have $45M committed to players for next season. And thats before we re-sign 3 important players on our team currently in Mueller, Matthias & Markstrom. So I'll just make a list of possible AFFORDABLE options for us and I'm not suggesting we sign all of these guys either:

So say we spend around $10 mil re-signing those three guys, we would basically have $10 mil more to spend on FA.

Laus723 03-22-2013 10:34 AM

Depends, too, on what is done with Upshall, Kuba, Clem, etc, no?