HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   HFNHL Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Question re: trade block and revenues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1382193)

Regal Beagles 03-21-2013 10:36 PM

Question re: trade block and revenues

I have a question for discussion or clarification.

As a new GM, I'm really enjoying this league so far. I love that the managers are into it. However, I've noticed during my one or two trade discussions (haha) that revenue and cap hit are such a huge factor. With the number of teams selling off (even if close to the playoffs) begs the question. Is it more important to win or build more and more assets through the draft?

I know that there is an endorsements sections (I didn't participate since I wasn't in yet). There was a discussion on the whatapp chat...."whatsapp, it's where its at", and there is an idea of having bonus money for those that make the playoffs.

Further, teams that have low bank accounts include Bruins, Devils, Capitals, Blue Jackets, Flames, Wild, to name a few. I'm puzzled a bit by it, for example the Devils are 2nd in the east (so successful), $58.8 mill in salaries (high but not crazy), 90.4% attendance with very reasonable prices, and are projected to be in the hole for the year. In my eye, this appears to be well run.

Is this a problem with the sim calculation for revenue generation? or some other underlying issue? or is there something I'm missing?

kasper11 03-22-2013 06:03 AM

Thanks for calling my team well run, but to comment on my situation...

I ended last year with about $9.6M in the bank and am projected to end the season with a slightly negative balance. So, I will have lost nearly $10M.

BUT....I have already made $6.5M in endorsements and will likely make another $2.5-3.5M.

So, by the end of the regular season I will be either even or down $1M. In the playoffs, I should be able to bring in about $1.5M per game. So, you figure one round of the playoffs and I am making at least $2-5M. If I make it to the second round, I will have a pretty good profit on the season. If I win it all, you figure 10 home games minimum, I would be up $14-15M at least, plus award money.

I am ok with this. If I have a $58M payroll, and missed my endorsements, and missed the playoffs, I should lose a lot of money. If I had a max payroll, I would need to make the second round to break even. Again, I think that is about right.

I think the way the league works is pretty close to real life, excluding certain teams like Toronto that make money no matter what. You need to pick your spots. If you go for it and miss the playoffs you will end up broke. If you never make the playoffs, you will never make money.

It would be nice if the sim linked winning with attendance, but that isn't going to happen unless a new version is released. In the meantime, winning is rewarded because you have the opportunity to make money in the playoffs. You get revenue without salaries. Each round of the playoffs should be $3-5M for a team. We also have a couple of endorsements geared particularly towards rebuilding teams.