HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Craig Smith to MKE for conditioning assignment (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1382487)

april 03-22-2013 11:03 AM

Craig Smith to MKE for conditioning assignment
 
http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=661517

Will a stint in Milwaukee help Craig Smith find his game? He has yet to play in the AHL, so personally I think he needs it.

INDhockeyfan 03-22-2013 11:16 AM

Not too surprised by this. It did wonders for Halishuk as he came back a much better player. Can't be sent down without going through waivers so had to do the conditioning stint. I think Gill maybe coming off IR so they needed a roster spot.

BigFatCat999 03-22-2013 11:24 AM

And I think they are trying to shop Gill to Pittsburgh. Pitt needs PK help Gill has no place here.


Would be nice to get a package of SK and Gill for a 1st. Pitt has been looking for a forward on the 1st line and with the need for PK help it could work.

Also SK on a line with Crosby, Jesus H. Christ.

PFL615 03-22-2013 11:24 AM

I don't agree with it but i see the logic. If the Preds pick up Boychuck off of waivers and send him to Mil.it could be a.good chance for the two to play together and build something.

glenngineer 03-22-2013 11:35 AM

Boychuk got picked up off waivers by Carolina.

PFL615 03-22-2013 11:39 AM

Yes he was and put back on waivers ny Carolina a few minutes ago.

Byrddog 03-22-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smashville615 (Post 62172415)
Yes he was and put back on waivers ny Carolina a few minutes ago.

Man I would like to have his frequent flyer mies.

glenngineer 03-22-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smashville615 (Post 62172415)
Yes he was and put back on waivers ny Carolina a few minutes ago.

That's really bizarre to say the least. He's Carolina's property then and if he clears he's going to their farm team, not ours.

Preds33 03-22-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay (Post 62178377)
That's really bizarre to say the least. He's Carolina's property then and if he clears he's going to their farm team, not ours.

Yes, but Nashville can claim him and send him straight to Milwaukee now without him having to clear waivers again.

worstfaceoffmanever 03-22-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay (Post 62178377)
That's really bizarre to say the least. He's Carolina's property then and if he clears he's going to their farm team, not ours.

I originally thought Carolina had that right on him when we put him on waivers, to claim him off and send him immediately to the minors (it was actually Pittsburgh as his last team, which makes complete sense), but we now have that right. If we claim him and nobody else puts in a claim, we can send him to Milwaukee without putting him back on waivers.

Sending Smith down has the exact same motive as sending Halischuk down for a conditioning assignment. If Smith gets the message and comes back as motivated and consistently intense as Halischuk has been, he's going to be a treat to watch, because he has way more skill than Halischuk.

BigFatCat999 03-22-2013 02:36 PM

Per twitter Poile is not going to make a claim for him.

Preds33 03-22-2013 02:36 PM

reports are that Poile is passing on Boychuk. I don't understand why, he's a pretty good AHL'er.

ffwrx 03-22-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preds33 (Post 62182211)
reports are that Poile is passing on Boychuk. I don't understand why, he's a pretty good AHL'er.

Probably an agreement with the Hurricanes.

glenngineer 03-22-2013 03:43 PM

No reason to claim boychuk. Not an answer or a type of player we don't already have a plethora of. If you play on a line with Malkin and Neal and can't score he's not going to do much for us here.

Paranoid Android 03-22-2013 04:15 PM

Sadly I've missed some games recently so I can't comment on Smith's play. Before this recent road trip I thought he was playing well, but could use some work on the defensive side of things. However, he oozes offensive potential and he's only a sophomore. He'll bounce back.

I think Barry is hard on him because he has high expectations out of him. The fact that he wasted no time sending him down, rather than just scratching him shows that. I think his ceiling is as high as Wilson's. Wilson survived the Barry Trotz treatment. Smith will too.

One thing that bothered me during the lockout was his decision to play overseas rather than with Milwaukee. Well someone's decision, not sure who. I don't see the logic there unless he wasn't allowed to for some reason. He would have greatly benefited playing an NHL style with his own teammates.

Preds33 03-22-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay (Post 62185289)
No reason to claim boychuk. Not an answer or a type of player we don't already have a plethora of. If you play on a line with Malkin and Neal and can't score he's not going to do much for us here.


He could fit in in Milwaukee. When he played for the Charlotte Checkers this year he had 32 points (16g 16a) in 37 games. Especially with Nashville taking Milwaukee's top scorers.

glenngineer 03-22-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preds33 (Post 62187923)
He could fit in in Milwaukee. When he played for the Charlotte Checkers this year he had 32 points (16g 16a) in 37 games. Especially with Nashville taking Milwaukee's top scorers.

I'm glad he's a good fit for the AHL but we need guys who can develop and play at the NHL level. I'd rather give the ice time to guys who have a chance at making it with the big club than giving it to a guy who will never make it with us.

barrytrotzsneck 03-22-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay (Post 62188137)
I'm glad he's a good fit for the AHL but we need guys who can develop and play at the NHL level. I'd rather give the ice time to guys who have a chance at making it with the big club than giving it to a guy who will never make it with us.

I get your point, but even if you don't consider Boychuk an NHL prospect(which I would disagree with,) it's not like there aren't a few players in Milwaukee that, while owned by the organization, have next to no chance at ever playing in the NHL...for us or anyone.

Everlong 03-22-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 62171351)
Also SK on a line with Crosby, Jesus H. Christ.

While I don't think much of SK, if Crosby can make Dupuis look like a 1st line player, SK could win the Rocket Richard. :laugh:

Hope Smitty can find his scoring touch again. 1st line minutes is what he needs to re-gain some consistency.

NoNecksCurse 03-22-2013 04:55 PM

everyone has sucked including smith. so no surprise he is sent down with trotz. rookies have a rough time with no neck. sometimes rightfully so.

its almost like were in tank mode. wilson, smith, hornqvist all out in one form or another.

wish the best for smith. he has the tools.

glenngineer 03-22-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc (Post 62188393)
I get your point, but even if you don't consider Boychuk an NHL prospect(which I would disagree with,) it's not like there aren't a few players in Milwaukee that, while owned by the organization, have next to no chance at ever playing in the NHL...for us or anyone.

Of course you have to have guys to fill out the roster but if means Watson, Latta, Cehlin and other guys that I see as having shots at making the Preds at some point getting less minutes because Boychuk is around, I'd rather him not be there. ANd I will disagree with you on Boychuk being an NHL player. He's had shots and just isn't getting it done. He needs to play top 6 minutes but I don't see him having the talent to be a top 6 guy.

I'll ask a question, if you had to look at him or Bourque, who do you think has better potential? At this point, I'd go with Bourque any day of the week. It's good to see the game differently and I'm cool with your view, I just don't agree and that's cool.

adsfan 03-22-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preds33 (Post 62187923)
He could fit in in Milwaukee. When he played for the Charlotte Checkers this year he had 32 points (16g 16a) in 37 games. Especially with Nashville taking Milwaukee's top scorers.

Milwaukee has been playing 7 D-men since they are short on forwards.

Can you read that Mr. Poile and Paul Fenton? The Ads can use 1 or 2 guys up front. Your prospects can get more playing time this season if the team makes the playoffs. Didn't that occur to anybody in Nashville?:rant:

kypredsfan 03-22-2013 07:09 PM

I bet byrddog is ecstatic right now.

Byrddog 03-22-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kypredsfan (Post 62195809)
I bet byrddog is ecstatic right now.

Not really. Sometimes you hate to be right. The only thing we can hope is that Smith can pull it together FAST. It is too much to expect guys to come from the college game to the NHL and be a success. This is whats still holding Wilson back, it was a big thing for Geffrion, and Smith. Watson would be the same way they need that time in the AHL. The level of play in college is nowhere close to the NHL, the leap from AHL to NHL is too much for many players. The best thing for Smith would be staying in Milwaukee the rest of the year and come to camp better for it. He is on a bigboy contract next season if he can't cut it by Jan next year his career here will be over.

adsfan 03-23-2013 12:05 AM

Smith played okay tonight. He looked a little tentative in the first period. I am sure it took a while to get used to Brad Winchester and Patrick Cehlin. By the third period, Peoria had 2 guys on him any time he was in the low slot. They kept "packing the goal" as we say in soccer. Smith had an assist on Winchester's EN goal.

Van Guilder had an even strength goal in the first and Watson had a PP goal
in the middle of the third to win the game, Milwaukee's 5th win in a row.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.