HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Hi From The UK! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1382541)

willt23 03-22-2013 11:44 AM

Hi From The UK!

Hi all,

Having followed Ice Hockey here in England for a couple of years with my beloved Nottingham Panthers (don't worry I'm guessing you've never heard of them before haha), after the lockout I came across NHL GameCentre and thought I'd give it a go.

Now I've never seen an NHL game in the flesh before, although I do remember when I was younger being on holiday in Florida when Tampa Bay won the Stanley Cup. I was toying with the idea of taking them on as my adopted team, but decided to go with Wild as I'm already going to watch the Vikings in the NFL at Wembley later this year - and I just thought I'd tell you guys how happy I am with my decision!

I've watched every game without fail so far, and hopefully on Saturday I'll be able to watch my first Wild game in real time.

What are your thoughts on the season so far, and is there anybody else supporting from any further away? I'm making it an aim of mine for the next time I come over to the US to make sure I witness the Wild, either home or away!

Will

tomgilbertfan 03-22-2013 11:49 AM

Welcome!

Glad you're happy with supporting the Wild, we all hope you're joining us on the ground-floor for many years of playoff hockey.

Season so far= better than expected. Most rational people thought we'd be somewhere in the 5-8 seed range, maybe missing the playoffs by a few points, so being 1st in the NW right now is better than i had expected (to be fair few foresaw the Canucks struggling this much).

We've got a fair amount of Finnish fans here.

Enjoy the boards, as long as the Wild are winning we get along fairly well ;)

Also Don't stop the Party.

Billy Mays Here 03-22-2013 11:56 AM

British? Hot damn we're attracting all sorts of countries now. A regular UN in here.

DeuceMN 03-22-2013 12:15 PM

Welcome Will:handclap:

OpRedDawn* 03-22-2013 12:33 PM

Spread the word to your friends too about the league! and the Wild ^_^

rynryn 03-22-2013 12:38 PM

Awesome we have a UK guy at last! We have a couple germans, a handful of swedes and some finns, along with an iranian and a guy from brazil, of all places that pop on from time to time. the time difference has to blow--makes you guys all the more impressive.

forthewild 03-22-2013 01:33 PM

Welcome to the boards and to the community! We'll be ok as long as you don't disrespect the Manchester United Football team.

You also picked a great time to start following the Wild we have some exciting players to watch, one of them being #25 Jonas Brodin. Pay attention to him on Saturday and you'll see why, after you watch him try to remember he's only 19 years old.

Glad to have you :yo:

Northland Wild Man 03-22-2013 01:35 PM

Welcome

It's great to see so many international fans.

ThatGuy22 03-22-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rynryn (Post 62176023)
Awesome we have a UK guy at last! We have a couple germans, a handful of swedes and some finns, along with an iranian and a guy from brazil, of all places that pop on from time to time. the time difference has to blow--makes you guys all the more impressive.

There is a regular at Hockey Wilderness from Ireland. Not sure he ever ventures over here. Dude's kinda crazy, watches most of the games live which is like 1 AM his time usaully.

Haite 03-22-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 (Post 62183843)
There is a regular at Hockey Wilderness from Ireland. Not sure he ever ventures over here. Dude's kinda crazy, watches most of the games live which is like 1 AM his time usaully.

So crazy :sarcasm:

W75 03-22-2013 04:14 PM

00xtremeninja 03-22-2013 04:55 PM

ahhh nice, a British connection.

So what kind of access do you have to getting autographed material from Jeremy Clarkson, James May, and/or Richard Hammond?

llamapalooza 03-22-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forthewild (Post 62178991)
Welcome to the boards and to the community! We'll be ok as long as you don't disrespect the Manchester United Football team.

You also picked a great time to start following the Wild we have some exciting players to watch, one of them being #25 Jonas Brodin. Pay attention to him on Saturday and you'll see why, after you watch him try to remember he's only 19 years old.

Glad to have you :yo:

I don't know anything about Premier League Soccer Football except that I'm supposed to hate the Manchester United AONs.

TaLoN 03-22-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willt23 (Post 62172727)
Hi all,

Having followed Ice Hockey here in England for a couple of years with my beloved Nottingham Panthers (don't worry I'm guessing you've never heard of them before haha), after the lockout I came across NHL GameCentre and thought I'd give it a go.

Now I've never seen an NHL game in the flesh before, although I do remember when I was younger being on holiday in Florida when Tampa Bay won the Stanley Cup. I was toying with the idea of taking them on as my adopted team, but decided to go with Wild as I'm already going to watch the Vikings in the NFL at Wembley later this year - and I just thought I'd tell you guys how happy I am with my decision!

I've watched every game without fail so far, and hopefully on Saturday I'll be able to watch my first Wild game in real time.

What are your thoughts on the season so far, and is there anybody else supporting from any further away? I'm making it an aim of mine for the next time I come over to the US to make sure I witness the Wild, either home or away!

Will

You picked a great time to join the club! The Wild were down for a few years prior to this one... but Chuck Fletcher (the General Manager) has been hard at work the past few years building this team up from the disaster it once was. We're just now starting to see the payoff!

This season started out rather sluggishly, but after the team started to build some chemistry they've absolutely taken off!

I thought before the season started that they had a legit shot at winning the division, but expected they may fall short of it and end up a 5th seed in the playoffs. I think they are actually playing better than even I expected and now I think they can really pull out a division win here!

Welcome! ;)

forthewild 03-23-2013 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llamapalooza (Post 62210979)
I don't know anything about Premier League Soccer Football except that I'm supposed to hate the Manchester United AONs.

Don't know what this is but Man U has been my favorite team since i was 9, i remember watching them in Croatia before I came here in the mid 90's so you quit your hating.

mikko1995 03-23-2013 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forthewild (Post 62216451)
Don't know what this is but Man U has been my favorite team since i was 9, i remember watching them in Croatia before I came here in the mid 90's so you quit your hating.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...y_2422872b.jpg

forthewild 03-23-2013 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikko1995 (Post 62216537)

:lol:

so i haven't watched them of late :D

gaboneill 03-23-2013 06:25 AM

Cheers for the Minnesota Wild International Community :yo:!!!

Great to be a part of it, even if I haven't enough time to talk with you on this board

forthewild 03-23-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaboneill (Post 62217485)
Cheers for the Minnesota Wild International Community :yo:!!!

Great to be a part of it, even if I haven't enough time to talk with you on this board

Welcome to the boards!!!

Now we have a better rivalry going here (French vs British) then the Wild vs Wings were sold to be.

W75 03-23-2013 08:42 AM

Yes!! We need a new rivalry.
Because of Brodin, every Finn here unconditionally loves Sweden.

Finland :heart::heart::heart: Sweden.

One day I tried to dislike them a bit... Can't do it anymore. Our beloved neighbours, how can you hate them? Why can't we be one peace-loving and Happy Kingdom of Sweden anymore?

Brodin.......

forthewild 03-23-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WiFi75 (Post 62218893)
Yes!! We need a new rivalry.
Because of Brodin, every Finn here unconditionally loves Sweden.

Finland :heart::heart::heart: Sweden.

One day I tried to dislike them a bit... Can't do it anymore. Our beloved neighbours, how can you hate them? Why can't we be one peace-loving and Happy Kingdom of Sweden anymore?

Brodin.......

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vFyvcMJ99U...00/sidious.jpg

Gooood Goood

willt23 03-23-2013 09:37 AM

Thanks for the messages guys.

Like I said hopefully today I'll watch my first game live having watched all the other ones on a full record a day or two after the game! I believe its face off around 1pm your time right?

Been really impressed with Brodin, heard the commentators talk a lot about him and how he's being viewed from other parts of the NHL as a chance to win Rookie of the Year.:naughty:

Really liked the performances of Zucker, Clutterbuck and Suter as well as Parise - I understand Suter and Parise are two of the Wild's 'big players'?

What are your guys thoughts on the match today? I'll be sitting in front of the tv with a couple of beers and cheering the guys on for sure! :)

PS - As a Nottingham Forest fan, I'm also taught not to really like Manchester United. Sorry :naughty:

Syan Ruter 03-23-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willt23 (Post 62219951)

Like I said hopefully today I'll watch my first game live having watched all the other ones on a full record a day or two after the game! I believe its face off around 1pm your time right?

Been really impressed with Brodin, heard the commentators talk a lot about him and how he's being viewed from other parts of the NHL as a chance to win Rookie of the Year.:naughty:

Really liked the performances of Zucker, Clutterbuck and Suter as well as Parise - I understand Suter and Parise are two of the Wild's 'big players'?

What are your guys thoughts on the match today? I'll be sitting in front of the tv with a couple of beers and cheering the guys on for sure! :)

PS - As a Nottingham Forest fan, I'm also taught not to really like Manchester United. Sorry :naughty:

Welcome to the community, lad! (yes, trying to soothe you in, lol)

I guess you could say that Mikko Koivu, the captain, is the glue that holds the team together, together with Mike Yeo, the coach, and GM Chuck Fletcher. As soon as the team starts performing poorly, hate on all three of them and demand them to get fired. No questions. Just do it.

elnewby 03-23-2013 10:11 AM

Booo Man U! But, I like them better than City!

Unfortunately Brodin is a ManCity fan....

nickschultzfan 03-23-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willt23 (Post 62219951)

Go Nottingham Forest!

Welcome!