HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Doug Weight #39 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1382581)

sailorjerry96 03-22-2013 01:39 PM

Doug Weight #39
 
Interesting article on the guy this morning on oilersnation. Was one of my favorite oilers during those days and he has over 1.0ppg durign his time with the Oil. Does he deserve to have his #39 in the rafters?

sailorjerry96 03-22-2013 01:41 PM

Here's the article

http://oilersnation.com/2013/3/22/na...le-doug-weight

Niet 03-22-2013 01:50 PM

Oilers have a pretty high standard for number retirement so I'll say he has no chance.

Jimmi McJenkins 03-22-2013 01:52 PM

Yeah, sorry very good player, not Oilers rafters worthy, they aren't the Leafs.

timekeep 03-22-2013 01:54 PM

He was very good but no rafters for Dougie Weight.

Jepprey 03-22-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 62176799)
Yeah, sorry very good player, not Oilers rafters worthy, they aren't the Leafs.

This.

I am the Liquor 03-22-2013 01:59 PM

Absolutely not.

Lacaar 03-22-2013 02:00 PM

He's about as good as they come to not get there. If that makes any sense.

I guess if he was just a bit better and stayed a bit longer. I'd support it.

Could it be agreed on that he's the best Oiler (say 5+ years on the team) not in the rafters?
Heck I don't even know who's in the Rafters.

I'm assuming Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Anderson, Fuhr, Coffey(this one I'm not sure about and probably beats out Doug then in my previous argument)

CantHaveTkachev 03-22-2013 02:09 PM

My all-time favorite Oiler

but shouldn't and won't go in the rafters

Draiskull 03-22-2013 02:10 PM

give him a golden stick or something and a retirement ceremony for all his contributions.. just not good enough for Rafters IMO..

abootzky 03-22-2013 02:28 PM

Weight's #39 deserves to be honored by the Oilers as will Ryan Smyth's #94. So does Kevin Lowe's #4 (based solely on his playing days). I'm sure there will be others. Perhaps the move to the new arena can coincide with the unveiling of an 'honored number' display of some kind for non-hall-of-famers whose contributions as Oilers' players (including #3 Al Hamilton) were exceptional. These jersey #s would be available to current players but only with the blessing of the honoree. HHoF members' #s would remain retired.

shoop 03-22-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abootzky (Post 62178741)
Weight's #39 deserves to be honored by the Oilers as will Ryan Smyth's #94. So does Kevin Lowe's #4 (based solely on his playing days). I'm sure there will be others. Perhaps the move to the new arena can coincide with the unveiling of an 'honored number' display of some kind for non-hall-of-famers whose contributions as Oilers' players (including #3 Al Hamilton) were exceptional. These jersey #s would be available to current players but only with the blessing of the honoree. HHoF members' #s would remain retired.

That's a really good proposal. A bit awkward as Hamilton is the only Oiler with a retired number who isn't in the HHoF.

I think KLowe deserves to have his jersey retired. He probably would have except for his being a member of the executive of the team.

jumptheshark 03-22-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailorjerry96 (Post 62176053)
Interesting article on the guy this morning on oilersnation. Was one of my favorite oilers during those days and he has over 1.0ppg durign his time with the Oil. Does he deserve to have his #39 in the rafters?

We need to set the level of retired numbers for hall of famers--good players like Smyth, Hemsky and Weight get honoured as being a good players

Seedling 03-22-2013 02:42 PM

Nope, because then they'd have to put more over rated players there too. Like 94.....

AlowlyMcOilersfan 03-22-2013 02:52 PM

Not in the rafters, but he deserves recognition, if only in a pre-game ceremony.

CornKicker 03-22-2013 02:54 PM

no because that traitor played for carolina and took our cup away

zeus3007* 03-22-2013 02:58 PM

Yes. He was a better player than Glenn Anderson (I know, blasphemy), but won't get in the Hall of Fame I'm sure. Even though he arguably should.

Six in O6 03-22-2013 02:59 PM

Unforunately, I don't think he will. I'd love to have him back with the squad but I don't think its in the cards. He was a great player for us. I wish we could have kept him. Perhaps a win in 2006 with him still on the roster might have changed a few things...

Tad McMikowsky 03-22-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornKicker (Post 62180051)
no because that traitor played for carolina and took our cup away

Yeah, like it was his choice.

Al Cappuccino 03-22-2013 03:14 PM

the last true #1 Centre in this city before we drafted RNH

Perfect_Drug 03-22-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeus3007 (Post 62180221)
Yes. He was a better player than Glenn Anderson (I know, blasphemy), but won't get in the Hall of Fame I'm sure. Even though he arguably should.

You've never seen Anderson play in the playoffs have you.

Anderson > Weight by a landslide.

Draiskull 03-22-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Prez (Post 62181009)
the last true #1 Centre in this city before we drafted RNH

The last 100pt man for Oil

Toydarian 03-22-2013 04:21 PM

If the criteria for having a player's jersey retired is to have a similar resume as to the ones already in the rafters, I don't think the Oilers will retire anymore numbers.

czar99 03-22-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky (Post 62180313)
Yeah, like it was his choice.

Choice is the thing we truly have:p:

jbean 03-22-2013 04:52 PM

I think the standards for the rafters should be whether the player makes the hall of fame. What we can say about Weight is that he was the most significant Oiler in the post dynasty era. Oilers history can look something like this:

Dynasty Years

Gretzky Era
79-88
Messier Era
88-91

Mediocre Years and Cup Run

Weight Era
92-01
Smyth Era*
01-07

Rebuilding Years

Hemsky Era
07-10
Hall Era
10-Present


*05-06 was the year of Pronger


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.