HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Feels Good Man (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1382765)

Vicarious 03-22-2013 04:42 PM

Feels Good Man

I will put this very simply:

We finally have confidence in our goaltending. Anderson is putting up elite numbers and will be back soon. Lehner is looking very promising and Bishop has played very well as well. I love the problem that we have and am confident for the future.

It hurts that Karlsson is out for the year, but we still have one of the best defenders in the game and we can find solace in that very fact. Cowen is going to compliment the defensive side of the game, Methot has been great and both Gryba and Wiercioch have been very good.

Spezza will be back soon and he will spark our offense and Turris shows flashes of promise. Add Zibanejad into the mix and I am very happy with our center situation going into the future. I used to be very down on Zabanejad, but after seeing his development in the last two months I think he will be a special player for us. He has the drive and the willpower to succeed. Hopefully he can continue to put it together.

Silfverberg has been impressive. I see him having a breakout very soon and the skill is there. He just needs time to adjust. I look forward to seeing what he can do with Spezza in a full season.

I think many of us wanted to give up when all of the injuries occurred, but our team didn't buy into that mentality. Instead, they keep on battling and this team has made me very proud. They drive, they battle back, and they are determined to win regardless of the score. I can't say I've seen this kind of effort from any of our teams in the past.

Paul MacLean - no words need to be said. After our revolving door of coaches over the past few years, it feels great to have finally a respectable and successful coach.

Perhaps I am riding high because of the way the team has been playing, but I have never been more excited about the Senators future. Everything looks bright.

EDIT: In response to Smeddy:
I can't believe I forgot Murray too. Good call Smeddy. He deserves a ton of credit. During the dark years people were very easy to throw the towel in and criticize Murray, but he stuck with his plan and delivered the results. A solid job by him as well.

http://yeahdef.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/fgm.png

moz 03-22-2013 05:30 PM

I don't know why no one's commenting. Guess if it's not complaining about SBP or arguing over Zibanejad and Silfverberg as if we have to choose, there's nothing I say. Good post, and I'm also excited about the bright days ahead.

McManked 03-22-2013 05:41 PM

Agreed.

There have already been so many positives to take out of this year. I don't care if we play 500 and squeak into 8th and get swept.

The fact that this team isn't in a lottery spot means they're playing a lot better than I thought.

DrunkUncleDenis 03-22-2013 05:47 PM

Pretty much. We are all proud of this team. We are balancing injuries off with insanely good coaching and everyone buying into the system; however, playing no Western teams has really improved our stats since I believe the East is weak this year, and we have shown that we can hang but just can't beat teams like Boston. I'm trying to temper excitement for this team being a genuine contender.

BonkTastic 03-22-2013 07:26 PM

Awesome thread is awesome.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5...54pzo1_500.jpg

ReginKarlssonLehner 03-22-2013 07:33 PM

We are a elite top-6 forward away from being legit contenders next year. I honestly think we already are but one more threat on offense with Spezza to be top-end contenders/favourites.

It was just 2 years ago we traded Fisher and Kelly and the "rebuild" was set in place.

Amazing job from Bryan Murray all the way to the team medical doctors.

There is no more rebuild. The future is now.

dennilfloss 03-22-2013 07:37 PM

:cheers:

The possibilities of this team are mind-blowing indeed.

http://i.imgur.com/EHkWXhn.gif

Grado 03-22-2013 07:42 PM

FTFY. (ok?)

dzingelalltheway 03-22-2013 07:52 PM

Agreed. After a few somewhat rocky years, it's looking like the pieces are starting to come together. It's an exciting time to be an Ottawa Senators fan.

BonkTastic 03-22-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicarious (Post 62188135)
Paul MacLean - no words need to be said. After our revolving door of coaches over the past few years, it feels great to have finally a respectable and successful coach.

This part can't be stated enough. Getting Maclean was the coaching equivalent of drafting Karlsson. Just so phenomenally important to our success right now...

Smeddy 03-22-2013 08:21 PM

Murray deserves a ton of credit as well. I hope he stays on as gm here until he gets a cup, he deserves it.

Vicarious 03-22-2013 09:16 PM

I can't believe I forgot Murray too. Good call Smeddy. He deserves a ton of credit. During the dark years people were very easy to throw the towel in and criticize Murray, but he stuck with his plan and delivered the results. A solid job by him as well.

ottawa 03-22-2013 10:28 PM

Man I hate the sens...but wow is their goaltending ever steady or what. If your starter fails then you can easily fall back on your backup, and if he fails too then **** it, your backups backup will hold it down.

Factor in Karlsson + Spezza out for the season + Anderson gone for a few more weeks and the sens STILL being 5th in the East with only 17 games left, and you're witnessing the impossible. Habs were plagued with injuries last year too (Markov + Gionta), both having half the impact as Spezza and Karlsson do...and we finished 15th :(

To be honest I kind of hope the sens stay 5th and we finish 4th or the sens drop to 8th and we stay 1st. That would be such a fun series, the only sad thing about it would be that a Canadian team would have to knock out another Canadian team.

Emerica 03-22-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottawa (Post 62209503)
Man I hate the sens...but wow is their goaltending ever steady or what. If your starter fails then you can easily fall back on your backup, and if he fails too then **** it, your backups backup will hold it down.

Factor in Karlsson + Spezza out for the season + Anderson gone for a few more weeks and the sens STILL being 5th in the East with only 17 games left, and you're witnessing the impossible. Habs were plagued with injuries last year too (Markov + Gionta), both having half the impact as Spezza and Karlsson do...and we finished 15th :(

To be honest I kind of hope the sens stay 5th and we finish 4th or the sens drop to 8th and we stay 1st. That would be such a fun series, the only sad thing about it would be that a Canadian team would have to knock out another Canadian team

Agreed. Would be sweet.

playasRus 03-22-2013 11:59 PM

As a new resident of Montreal, a Sens-Habs series would be SOOOO SWEEET

Wallet Inspector 03-23-2013 12:19 AM

We are just a top line forward away from being contenders IMO.

We got the best goaltending in the league, and a very promising defense group.

Savannah Skunk 03-23-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

To be honest I kind of hope the sens stay 5th and we finish 4th or the sens drop to 8th and we stay 1st. That would be such a fun series, the only sad thing about it would be that a Canadian team would have to knock out another Canadian team.

One playoff series would ignite a whole new rivalry. It seems to happen when Canadian teams play against each other in the playoffs. Too bad it hasn't happened in ... soooooooo long.

Vicarious 03-23-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savannah Skunk (Post 62214033)
One playoff series would ignite a whole new rivalry. It seems to happen when Canadian teams play against each other in the playoffs. Too bad it hasn't happened in ... soooooooo long.

Knowing our luck we'll face the Penguins. Those series frustrate me. So many inconsistencies. I would enjoy a Canadian series or the Rangers again, I thought that match-up was great.

Savannah Skunk 03-23-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner (Post 62197767)
We are a elite top-6 forward away from being legit contenders next year. I honestly think we already are but one more threat on offense with Spezza to be top-end contenders/favourites.

It was just 2 years ago we traded Fisher and Kelly and the "rebuild" was set in place.

Amazing job from Bryan Murray all the way to the team medical doctors.

There is no more rebuild. The future is now.

Call it a season and a half, the last in which we were predicted to finish dead last in the east rather than take the conference leading Rangers to a nail-biting seventh game thriller. Inflicted with a momentum sapping lockout and a salvaged half-season, the team gets decimated by injuries, and still competes for a solid playoff birth.

Brian Murray was savvy enough to fill the entire farm system strategic talent to fill every position. He probably started 'his' rebuild the moment he had the reigns of power. Despite the flak he gets, Murray has been one of the best GM's the Senators have ever had.

I agree with what you say except on this. Whether or not we acquire another top-6 forward really doesn't concern me because our youth core has already acquired the taste of being champions (in the AHL). We have several players who have stepped up and will only be better with time (Silf, Zib, Weir, Lehner, Gryba, ..etc. the list goes on). They know what it means to work hard and win. We still have many great prospects in our system, Noesen, Puempel, Prince, Stone, Ceci, Boro, and now Hammond. Our bottom six will become dangerous when our top six is healthy.

Could we use one? Of course.
Do we need one? I don't think so.

Nevertheless, I agree, our time is now, and for many more years to come. Murray rebuilt this team in two years (conservatively). Despite breaking a few eggs, he also signed the best coach in the NHL (relative to our team and circumstances). One might conclude that the excellence in coaching we currently enjoy is a by-product (da Stache aside) of a system-wide organisational team effort, from support staff to star players.

With Murray at the helm drafting/trading/signing players, I have confidence that the youth moment from the minors will become a perpetual blessing to this club.

Lastly, Ottawa is about to start a powerful precedent of showing core players that they can reside, settle roots, have families, and play for one team for their entire careers (Alfie, Neil, Phillips)... while not sacrificing the chance of winning it all, Lord Stanley. Eventually, all players want some place to call home.

Was it Melnyk that said we were the 'envy of the NHL." (paraphrasing)

Perhaps he is right.

Savannah Skunk 03-23-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicarious (Post 62214115)
Knowing our luck we'll face the Penguins. Those series frustrate me. So many inconsistencies. I would enjoy a Canadian series or the Rangers again, I thought that match-up was great.

The Penguins are the last team I want to face in the playoffs, ... this year. I think their talented offense would rip apart our defense in five games and make for a very unsatisfying departure from the post season. If we lose, make it a fight.

'When' we make the playoffs, I hope we face Boston or Toronto. We would be the clear underdogs and our 'pesky' nature could upset either of them. We are not the Sens of old. Imagine the joy and glory of beating either of those teams (or Montreal) in the playoffs.

Xspyrit 03-23-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Don't be jealous though, Habs have been riding on hot goaltending for a very long time.

Another thing is Paul MacLean. The defensive awareness of the forward group allows him to play some incredible team defense. Guys like Condra, Silfverberg, Alfredsson, Michalek, Regin, Turris,... are so good defensively that it becomes possible. We gave a lot of shots but most are from the perimeter, perfect shots to keep a goalie "in the game"

And yeah, this is the best Sens goaltending personnel that we ever had, except Hasek for 1/2 a year.

Quote:

Cowen and Michalek are always forgotten but IMO it's a loss as big as Markov/Gionta for example. Missing Latendresse (and Regin) sucked too, however it's not in the same league of impact.

Quote:

With Cowen and Karlsson out, Habs might have a chance:p:

Spezza and Michalek should be back for 1st round

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicarious (Post 62214115)

To be honest, facing the Pens or Habs will very frustrating reffing wise... Many Sens fans around here won't be able to stand it

But yeah, not the Pens, no chance to beat them not being 100% healthy

DrunkUncleDenis 03-23-2013 10:27 AM

I'm hoping Boston takes over first and we hold down 5th. Hellz ya Habs first round matchup.

I'm going to be really happy when the new realignment takes place now that we aren't elite and winning the division on the reg. I hate the fact that 'if the playoffs started today', 5th place Sens play 4th place Boston, while the 6th place Leafs get to play the freaking Jets.

EK65IsAGod 03-23-2013 10:47 AM

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...jpg?1254173845

StefanW 03-23-2013 11:29 AM

Great thread. I think we are a couple of years removed from being a legitimate contender for the cup. Give ZBad and Silf a couple of years under their belt and they will be racking up really good numbers. Goaltending is fantastic going forward. Plenty of room under the cap to keep our best players as they grow into stars. We have world class coaching from the bigs all the way down to Bingo. Murray has made all the right moves since blowing up the team a couple of years ago.

As good as management decisions have been, there was also a little bit of luck involved. I may be in the minority, but when I look back to last summer I am really happy that Nash refused to be traded here. If I remember the package correctly it would have included both ZBad and Lehner. Foligno was also a part of the rumoured package, which would have meant that we would not have had Methot this season unless we gave up another piece for him. No thank you!

The Waffler 03-23-2013 11:31 AM