HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Revisiting Landeskog's captaincy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1383247)

Nordic* 03-23-2013 11:43 AM

Revisiting Landeskog's captaincy

Was it the right choice?

Is he the leader of the team, both on and off the ice?

Is he a game-breaker who leads by his actions?

Avsboy 03-23-2013 11:46 AM

I feel it was a wrong choice. He's too young and he remains unproven.

Freudian 03-23-2013 11:48 AM

He's going to be a good captain. He has the respect of his teammates, plays the game the right way and has a respectful but confident way when it comes to interacting with refs and opponents.

bohlmeister 03-23-2013 11:51 AM

Right choice. No doubt in my mind. He will need to grow into it a little, but he already acts like a good captain.

hawk30 03-23-2013 12:00 PM

He will eventually be a very good captain.

At the moment, though, I have a lot of doubts.

avsfan09 03-23-2013 12:02 PM

There shouldn't be any doubt. He's smart, hardworking and well respected by teammates. There isn't a player who would be a better captain on the team.

You can argue Duchene but he's still not mature at the level Landeskog is.I think Duchene deserves to be an assistant though.

Zandar 03-23-2013 12:05 PM

He is the best option of the current Avs. Captaincy would weigh down EJ like it did Hejduk. Duchene didn't need the pressure

hawk30 03-23-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avsfan09 (Post 62222323)
There shouldn't be any doubt. He's smart, hardworking and well respected by teammates. There isn't a player who would be a better captain on the team.

You can argue Duchene but he's still not mature at the level Landeskog is.I think Duchene deserves to be an assistant though.

My doubts don't have anything to do with the alternatives on our roster. My doubts have to do with his respect around the league, particularly by referees, and the very little amount of human and social capital he's acquired to this point for this role in the NHL.

At this point, there's almost zero value added to the team with him wearing a C so far as I can tell.

The Shermanator 03-23-2013 12:07 PM

I'd say it was the right choice. It was probably made too soon but we didn't really have any other options.

avsfan09 03-23-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk30 (Post 62222487)
My doubts don't have anything to do with the alternatives on our roster. My doubts have to do with his respect around the league, particularly by referees, and the very little amount of human and social capital he's acquired to this point for this role in the NHL.

At this point, there's almost zero value added to the team with him wearing a C so far as I can tell.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2ohxkoqD31qk88o4.gif

Also your wrong about the bolded. He's always calm when dealing with refs and I'm sure he earns respect because of it.

CobraAcesS 03-23-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk30 (Post 62222247)
He will eventually be a very good captain.

At the moment, though, I have a lot of doubts.

I think hes a pretty good Captain at this point, but still has potential to grow into it even more.

Think about our roster and who you would pick as Captain over him? The only person I can think of off the top of my head is Duchene, but no one would have even dared agree with Duchene even having a letter on his chest before this season.

Stastny is too meek

Hejduk WAS too meek

O'Money well... Not after that fiasco, I also was thinking that he put too much pressure on himself without that added weight before all that happened as well.

EJ has proven to perform worse on the ice under added pressure beyond what he already puts himself through.

Duchene has led well in Landeskog's absence but wasn't on any knowledgeable Avs fans radar as a leader until after Landeskog went down. He deserves an A on his chest, but I think hes too high strung and prone to ups and downs mentally to have the C added to his shoulders on a regular basis.

Beyond these people no one is a core level franchise player.

Landeskog has taken the Captaincy serious enough, but not so serious that it seems to effect how he carries himself day to day and game to game. Hes become very well respected around the league for the all around game he brings, including veteran like poise and attitude on and off the ice.

Notice that through his offensive struggles this season no one has come down on him for it? That's because when hes not scoring he brings so many other things to the table, that he is valuable on the ice every night regardless of how much he puts the puck in the net. The concussion gives him some leeway obviously, but hes had his share of cold spells when you look at PPG production.

He also deals with the media pressure very well, while still being fairly candid and honest. Hes not quite as quick to drop dimes like Duchene, but he does not **** daisies regardless of what hes asked either. (FuqU&YerBsSacco)

Landeskog has never been expected to be an offensive dynamo by anyone either, he just does not have that expected 'offensive superstar' stamp that adds another level of pressure for young players. So as long as he continues to give 110% every night while bringing his calm veteran attitude in the right situations. He'll continue be a successful Captain for our team, possibly and hopefully for the next 20 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk30 (Post 62222487)

This is just straight wrong, it's not as if hes some nobody. Or hasn't been known as a leader throughout his hockey career. Before he was drafted he was predicted to be a Captain in the NHL, hes considered to be one of the most complete players in the game today even at his young age.

The media loved to talk about how much he seemed like a veteran, even in his rookie season as well. Hes gotten enough media exposure, and proven enough already to be given a fair amount of respect by the refs. I think if he turned down the wrong path in how he handled things, sure... He could be questioned very quickly, but I think at this point he has the benefit of the doubt going forward unless he screws that up.

I think hes on thin ice with his age, but that standing will get stronger with a little time. Just like Toews...

hawk30 03-23-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avsfan09 (Post 62222895)

Also your wrong about the bolded. He's always calm when dealing with refs and I'm sure he earns respect because of it.

That doesn't contradict anything I said. In fact, it agrees with it, so I don't know how I'm wrong as a result. It's "you're," by the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobraAcesS (Post 62223105)
I think hes a pretty good Captain at this point, but still has potential to grow into it even more.

Think about our roster and who you would pick as Captain over him? The only person I can think of off the top of my head is Duchene, but no one would have even dared agree with Duchene even having a letter on his chest before this season.

Landeskog has never been expected to be an offensive dynamo by anyone either, he just does not have that expected 'offensive superstar' stamp that adds another level of pressure for young players. So as long as he continues to give 110% every night while bringing his calm veteran attitude in the right situations. He'll continue be a successful Captain for our team, possibly and hopefully for the next 20 years.

Not sure why you've directed this at me. The post you quoted of mine said I think he'll eventually be a very good captain!

I also said I didn't think there were any better alternatives on the roster, but that's different from being a good captain.

CobraAcesS 03-23-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk30 (Post 62223681)
That doesn't contradict anything I said. In fact, it agrees with it, so I don't know how I'm wrong as a result. It's "you're," by the way.

Not sure why you've directed this at me. The post you quoted of mine said I think he'll eventually be a very good captain!

I also said I didn't think there were any better alternatives on the roster, but that's different from being a good captain.

I have more of an issue with your second post, on the first it's your 'doubts' that I'm addressing. But I expanded on the subject as well.

While I disagree with your doubts, and the 'respect' level he has, don't take it as me coming after you personally or specifically.

RobinDIF 03-23-2013 12:58 PM

Hard to say when you aren't in the lockerroom. Always hard to discuss captaincy question from a fans-perspective.

But IMO Landeskog is the leader of the younger Avs generation. He won't put up most points on this team but everyone has said from the moment he was born basically that this guy will be an NHL-captain. He is a leader. End of.

Cullen Bohannon 03-23-2013 01:02 PM

Absolutely the right choice.

Av-merican 03-23-2013 01:18 PM

Right choice, wrong time.

But it's done, so it's up to him to live up to it, and so far he hasn't failed in that endeavor.

18007 03-23-2013 01:21 PM

Right choice, Right time. ;)

PAZ 03-23-2013 01:24 PM

Keep in mind, he was an assistant captain for Sweden in the WC. That speaks volumes considering there roster had the likes of Karlsson, Kronwall, Hedman, Hjalmarsson, Alfredsson, Backstrom, Hornqvist, Zetterberg, and Franzen.

I personally think it might've come a year early, but it's not a huge deal. We had no one else, we couldn't go another year without having a captain, and Landeskog is a proven leader.

While he might not get the respect some other captains do, that obviously comes in time.

benzino 03-23-2013 01:25 PM

He is already a miles better captain than Hejduk, he will grow further as a captain once he gains more experience.

AslanRH 03-23-2013 01:37 PM

Reminds me of how Toews seemed to be on the ice his first year as captain. When I'd watch the hawks I thought he seemed too quiet and passive with officials regarding disputed calls/penalties. Did not seem to take charge of situations as much as I had expected, but seemed somewhat complacent.

I think as Toews did, this year Landy is building up his "capital" on and off the ice. I have no concerns about him being a great captain for years to come.

tucker3434 03-23-2013 01:44 PM

There's a lot more to being a captain than being around for a while. He's got what it takes to be our captain for over a decade. It was absolutely the right choice.

Freudian 03-23-2013 01:46 PM

Is another first year captain, Giroux, doing better?

ANewHope 03-23-2013 01:49 PM

I feel it might have been a little forced. Gabe probably won't be the high producer you expect with a #2 pick. He'll bring things like amazing two way play, intangibles, physical play etc. and I feel like the FO giving him the C that early felt a little to much like hey look at our 19 year old we just drafted, he's so mature and such a great leader! youngest captain in the history of the game.

Don't get me wrong all those things are true about him and I have no doubt in my mind that he'll make a good captain and with the Avs situation I understand why they did it. You can't give it to E.Johnson or Duchene(at the time it would have been laughable) or ROR and than take it away in 2-3 years when Lando is more ready. It was either leaving it on Hejduk, giving it to another vet for a season or two, going with 3 A's or giving it to Landeskog prematurely. He was drafted to be the captain, any way you slice it he was eventually going to get the C IMO anyways.

It is premature too, no doubt about it. He's a 19 year old kid. As much as guys on are own team respect him as another poster mentioned around the league and with refs I'm not sure it's there yet. Felt like Dallas was taking runs on him, SJ, Chicago went at him. I would like to see him stick up for himself a little more, I know why he didn't drop them against Chicago after just getting back a week earlier from a concussion but eventually IMO that'll need to happen. Who know's tho, I'm sure that's nitpicking to the max but I just feel like the physical play and the intangibles on the ice hasn't been there as much this year, probably due to the injury.

Viking mode is the definition of what you want out of a captain, and probably his best quality as a young captain. Just that ability to step up and get a big goal or change momentum.

Right choice, a little early but understand why they did it. Final answer and to shorten things up abit lol.

avsfan09 03-23-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk30 (Post 62223681)

Haha thanks man, noted.

Wal Nichushkin 03-23-2013 03:30 PM

Yes. That is all.