HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Brian Lee Waived by Tampa (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1383317)

SNES 03-23-2013 12:16 PM

Brian Lee Waived by Tampa

Just noticed on Tampa threads...thoughts?

Ghost in the Shell 03-23-2013 12:18 PM

Thanks tips.

DylanSensFan 03-23-2013 12:18 PM

did we trade him? because if we did, we won that trade by a mile... even if Gilroy is gone. 1st round bust, picked by Muckler.

Ouroboros 03-23-2013 12:22 PM

**** him.

aragorn 03-23-2013 12:30 PM

Lee placed on waivers before Gilroy ... :laugh: I wonder if Minny would consider taking him off waivers?

IranCondraAffair 03-23-2013 12:30 PM

Remember when people were talking about the Gilroy deal as the end of the world? How Murray had given up a valuable asset for nothing? How Lee had signed a new deal and he'd be a possible top-4 guy?

Yawn.

The problem with guys like Lee is that he's middling. By that I mean he's definitely an NHL player, but teams will always been looking to improve the squad by replacing him and when the time comes to play a prospect, he'll be the one waived.

Benjamin 03-23-2013 12:39 PM

Id rather claim Stu Bickell.

Healfezza 03-23-2013 12:41 PM

The problem for Lee is the lack of a certain toolset. There are plenty of players in the NHL worse them him as a whole, but they have a certain niche to fill with their skillset. Lee doesn't have any single outstanding tool that makes him desirable.

Think of it like a specialized reliever in baseball. Sure the reliever as a whole is terrible (comparitively against the field), but against a certain matchup he is an asset. Lee is just a busted pitcher who doesn't have enough velocity or break on his pitches to be a starter or a reliever.

Xspyrit 03-23-2013 12:59 PM

I hope it clears (some) people's head as to why Murray and co didn't even want to qualify him in the 2012 summer. Instead of losing him for nothing in the summer (or just waive him), they took a chance on Matt Gilroy to see if he could fit with the team.

Very wise move as that guy was a highly touted College agent before, so why not see (for free) if the Sens coaching staff could do something with him? They weren't very patient in his case but I guess they had better options in the end.

Again, it was just another freaking :

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_g16CDEwx5B...cupofstorm.jpg

Some people need to learn or just get their heads check

swiftwin 03-23-2013 01:24 PM

Didn't we also waive him at one point?

La Flame 03-23-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftwin (Post 62228719)
Didn't we also waive him at one point?

Yes.

Vicarious 03-23-2013 01:42 PM

Unfortunate, but he has no place on this team. Were already bursting with young faces from the back end.

The Expert 03-23-2013 02:01 PM

I'm curious why this is a thread. He sucks, we don't usually have threads for extremely crappy players who have already cleared waivers FTR.

playasRus 03-23-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Expert (Post 62231279)
I'm curious why this is a thread. He sucks, we don't usually have threads for extremely crappy players who have already cleared waivers FTR.

Probably because if Methot was still out, our D-group woul dbe very very bare. And I think it wouldn't be outrageous to want Lee over Boro.

The Expert 03-23-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by playasRus (Post 62231399)
Probably because if Methot was still out, our D-group woul dbe very very bare. And I think it wouldn't be outrageous to want Lee over Boro.

You'd be incorrect, but hey.

Not to mention basing it on false 'what ifs' that are already proven false, Methot isn't out.

SNES 03-23-2013 03:36 PM

Wasn't implying picking him up, just thought it was news worthy considering we drafted him and his long messy career with the Sens.

vdB 03-23-2013 04:08 PM

9th overall Sens select: Brian Lee

11th overall Kings select: Anze Kopitar

I know these things happen, but still...lol

pepty 03-23-2013 04:22 PM

Good luck to him. I hope some team picks him up.

L'Aveuglette 03-23-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by playasRus (Post 62231399)

The entire coaching and scouting team disagrees with you.

PCooper 03-23-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xspyrit (Post 62227375)
I hope it clears (some) people's head as to why Murray and co didn't even want to qualify him in the 2012 summer. Instead of losing him for nothing in the summer (or just waive him), they took a chance on Matt Gilroy to see if he could fit with the team.

Very wise move as that guy was a highly touted College agent before, so why not see (for free) if the Sens coaching staff could do something with him? They weren't very patient in his case but I guess they had better options in the end.

Again, it was just another freaking :

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_g16CDEwx5B...cupofstorm.jpg

Some people need to learn or just get their heads check

Agreed. Murray did the same thing with Elliott and look how that turned out. You win some, you lose some. We waived him and no one claimed him but BM was able to get something. That something was very little, but like I said, it worked last time so why not try again.

Can't say Ottawa never gave Lee a chance or gave up too early. They knew exactly what he was (is) and knew he was expendable.

ZekeA 03-24-2013 11:12 AM

Brian Lee man is charmed signed a 2 yr 1 way contract with Tampa Bay 1M this yr 1.3 n

Brian Lee man is charmed signed a 2 yr 1 way contract with Tampa Bay 1M this yr 1.3 next yr NOT sure what it will cost them to buy him out.

As I recall 1st round pick #9 overall another great Muckler pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be kind he is a very mediocre player not real good @ any part of the game.

When he was here he thought he belonged up top why who knows + he had an attitude I was told...........

I was happy when Ottawa moved him last season overjoyed in fact, he was far from my favorite player in fact more like least favorite.

I do my best never to rag on a player down here but with Lee can NOT help myself as he deserves to be ragged on!!!!!!!!!

Way the game is today mediocre players make 1M a yr crazy........

I hope this is the last time his name is brought up on this board, he was another Mucker draft pick bust...........

mcnorth 03-24-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdB (Post 62239107)
9th overall Sens select: Brian Lee

11th overall Kings select: Anze Kopitar

I know these things happen, but still...lol

Spezza-Kopitar-Fisher-Kelly down the middle. Can't say I didn't redo that draft pick a few times playing EA NHL. :D

KarlSen 03-24-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Expert (Post 62231279)

IMHO it's because when he was picked the angst shown and Murray bashing and inflation of Lee's ability was pretty crazy. And we are always curious about how recent ex-Sens are doing.

KarlSen 03-24-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnorth (Post 62286161)
Spezza-Kopitar-Fisher-Kelly down the middle. Can't say I didn't redo that draft pick a few times playing EA NHL. :D

Most of us were screaming for Staal they day of the draft. Almost cost me a TV when Muckler picked Brain Lee. I'm not usually that passionate about the draft, figuring a lot of team people have looked into this, but that one had me ticked off.

It wasn't Lee's fault that he was the guy chosen that wasn't Stall or Kopitar.

mcnorth 03-24-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Alfie (Post 62290443)
Most of us were screaming for Staal they day of the draft. Almost cost me a TV when Muckler picked Brain Lee. I'm not usually that passionate about the draft, figuring a lot of team people have looked into this, but that one had me ticked off.

It wasn't Lee's fault that he was the guy chosen that wasn't Stall or Kopitar.

I'm a Thunder Bay guy so I was screaming for Staal also.