HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Dallas Stars (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Pens fan looking for scouting report on Brenden Morrow (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1384403)

LemieuxFTW 03-24-2013 07:30 PM

Pens fan looking for scouting report on Brenden Morrow

I don't really get to catch any Stars games, what does Morrow bring to the table now? I've heard mixed reviews that he's washed up and slow, others in the west say he's still got something left in the tank.

Troy McClure 03-24-2013 07:39 PM

You're going to read a lot about stuff he did three and four seasons ago. Plenty about playoff success and Olympics. There will be no discussion of his recent play.

Today's Morrow has lost a lot. He ended last season barely able to play due to a neck injury. He was told he should have neck surgery, and he opted to use the lockout to rest instead of getting surgery.

When the season started, it looked like he spent the offseason not working out at all. He was the slowest guy on the roster. He seems to have improved some since the season started probably due to getting his conditioning in order. But he's still a shadow of his former self. He can't play the same physical game he used to.

You're getting a guy who still willingly goes to the net, which is where he scores all of his goals.

Stars99Lobo37 03-24-2013 07:40 PM

Slow would be absolutely correct.

He'll crash the net without 2nd thought though.

Ambassador Of Fun 03-24-2013 07:44 PM

He is the worst passer and receiver of passes. Subpar defensively. Understands that he will score if he is in front of the net.

Stars99Lobo37 03-24-2013 07:48 PM

His name is Brenden btw. Not Brendan.

Cin 03-24-2013 09:34 PM

When you guys are in the playoffs in a meaningful game, and you need a massive hit or a game changing goal, he'll be there. He's a warrior.

piqued 03-24-2013 10:17 PM

His skating was painful to watch at the end of last season and the beginning of this one. If it continued that way he honestly wasn't long for this league. You were left to wonder if he'd even consider retirement this summer. Thankfully for him whatever he's done stretching-wise or conditioning-wise to limber up a bit more has showed some signs of salvaging his skating stride. He can at least get to the front of the net now in a timely fashion which is where he's going to do all of his damage. In the past he used to be a threat to score from range and he'd use his snap shot to great effect. That's mostly gone... then again he no longer had Ribeiro around to feed him perfect passes. It feels though like Morrow's passing ability has also declined and there's no real explanation for that. Some of the worst passes made by any Star this season have come off his stick.

From Pittsburgh's perspective you've just got to hope his neck and back don't act up on him down the stretch and you find ways to get him in front of the opposition's net. Morrow certainly turned up the intensity in a major way the last time he was in the playoffs but the problem with that is it was ages ago in terms of hockey mileage. I'm not sure he's physically capable of doing something similar these days.

Above all though, he needs to play with a guy that will slow the pace of the game down. I guess that's Malkin, I can't see him possibly working with Crosby. But you don't need wingers for that line, so yeah.

Neal and Morrow didn't play together much if at all, so I have nothing to add there.

Big McLargehuge 03-24-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cin (Post 62335273)
When you guys are in the playoffs in a meaningful game, and you need a massive hit or a game changing goal, he'll be there. He's a warrior.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 (Post 62321513)
Slow would be absolutely correct.

He'll crash the net without 2nd thought though.

Which is exactly what we need.

The cost seems to be a bit too much to get him, but whatever.

His slow foot speed won't be an issue if he's playing with Geno, who's had his best chemistry with slower guys who go to the net, namely Ryan Malone. I can't see the Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis line being broken up this year, so I'm expecting Morrow-Malkin-Neal. Between Malkin's playmaking and Neal's shot, the missing piece for that line for a while has been someone who is willing to pay the price in front of the net.

Best wishes guys...I hate to see Joe go, but I'm sure he'll make you all very happy before long.

Stars99Lobo37 03-24-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piqued (Post 62339311)
Morrow certainly turned up the intensity in a major way the last time he was in the playoffs but the problem with that is it was ages ago in terms of hockey mileage. I'm not sure he's physically capable of doing something similar these days.

I'd be scared for his health after the game if he turned it up like he did back in 08. He could bare walk/play at the end of that Detroit series.

Cin 03-24-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge (Post 62339647)
Which is exactly what we need.

The cost seems to be a bit too much to get him, but whatever.

His slow foot speed won't be an issue if he's playing with Geno, who's had his best chemistry with slower guys who go to the net, namely Ryan Malone. I can't see the Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis line being broken up this year, so I'm expecting Morrow-Malkin-Neal. Between Malkin's playmaking and Neal's shot, the missing piece for that line for a while has been someone who is willing to pay the price in front of the net.

Best wishes guys...I hate to see Joe go, but I'm sure he'll make you all very happy before long.

Completely forgot about how awesome Malone was for you guys. Brenden can bring some of what he did back to your team for sure.

ElGuapo 03-24-2013 11:09 PM

I'll give him credit, at the beginning of the season I thought he was "done." He didn't look like an NHL player anymore, it was sad. But he turned it around somewhat and can provide you with net drive and presence at least.

Kiss 03-24-2013 11:12 PM

He'll be a damn good warrior in the Playoffs.

aloonda* 03-24-2013 11:14 PM

tough dude