HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Andrew Ladd (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1384419)

Leaf Lander 03-24-2013 08:44 PM

Andrew Ladd

What do you think of him as a player?
What is he best at?
What intangibles does hour bring to your team?
Does he kill penalties?
Etc thanks

YWGinYYZ 03-24-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Lander (Post 62321871)
What is he best at?
Does he kill penalties?
Etc thanks

Love him as a player - brings many things to the table that you do and don't see on the scoreboard.
Hits, fights, skates well, scores, apparently runs the dressing room well.
Yes, he kills penalties, though he's not the first go to guy for that.

What's your interest in him, btw?

Aerial 03-24-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Lander (Post 62321871)
What is he best at?
Does he kill penalties?
Etc thanks

Ladd? I'm a fan, and after a bit of a rough welcome to him last year I think most Jets fans generally are. He's not a superstar, but he's a solid, gritty complementary winger. He isn't necessarily amazing at any one thing, but he's a well-rounded player who doesn't mind going to the hard areas, has a pretty filthy wrister, and can hit, pass, and defend. Yes, he does PK for us, and is a solid two-way forward.

As far as intangibles, none of us are in the room so this is all a guess, but Ladd's sort of a guy's guy with two Stanley Cup rings so he's got all the intangibles that brings. Not a super outspoken leader, from what we've been told, but tends to lead by example. He's relatively level-headed, and doesn't mind dropping the gloves if called to or if he needs to send a message. He's a pretty good fighter too.

Overall, totally solid choice for captain on the Jets, IMO.

ETA: I can't remember where I got this from, but someone once joked that if you look up "hockey player" in a dictionary, you'd see a picture of Andrew Ladd. That's about right. He's basically the archetypical Canadian forward.

StronGeer 03-24-2013 08:59 PM

I like him as a player. Last year he was prone to bad turnovers/penalties late in close games. That's not the case this year. He's a third of our only consistent line. Goes to the dirty areas to get goals or set screens. Fights and sticks up for his teammates.

Most of the intangibles Noel will talk about for him is having the attitude and playing a tough game night in, night out. Leads by example that way.

For PK, he's ok but definitely not on our first unit.

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerial (Post 62322773)
ETA: I can't remember where I got this from, but someone once joked that if you look up "hockey player" in a dictionary, you'd see a picture of Andrew Ladd. That's about right. He's basically the archetypical Canadian forward.

Pretty much that. 100% agree.

sully1410 03-24-2013 09:12 PM

GOAT AINEC

My favorite Jet. The best comparison that I think you can draw here is to Trevor Linden.

KCjetsfan 03-24-2013 10:41 PM

i didn't care for his turnovers and o-zone penalties last year, but he's made a believer of me this year. gets lots of garbage goals, has a strong shot, sound positionally and works hard.

Turbofan 03-24-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StronGeer (Post 62323327)
I like him as a player. Last year he was prone to bad turnovers/penalties late in close games.

Seems like he's really cleaned up his penalties. He's had 1 minor penalty in the last 26 games.

11 pim total (5 minute fighting major vs. Phaneuf, 3 minors)

We all know about the points-in-back-to-back games thing. But he also has at least 1 shot on net in every game but 2. Very consistently puts himself in scoring areas, goes to the net constantly.

AlphaLackey 03-24-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1410 (Post 62324767)
GOAT AINEC

My favorite Jet. The best comparison that I think you can draw here is to Trevor Linden.

When describing Ladd to a friend of mine, I compared him to a young Adam Graves, but I think both are solid comparisons.

Leaf Lander 03-25-2013 12:54 AM

I picked him in a Draft and have to describe him but as a leaf fan I. Have only seen him a few times and figured you guys could describe him a lot better then I could ty

Hank Chinaski 03-25-2013 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaLackey (Post 62339047)
When describing Ladd to a friend of mine, I compared him to a young Adam Graves, but I think both are solid comparisons.

That's actually an awesome comparison. Ladd perhaps doesn't have quite the mean streak that Graves did (he was a nasty SOB back in the day), but very similar players overall. I don't like the Linden comparison quite as much, I think Linden was much more of a finesse guy (relatively speaking) than Ladd is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerial (Post 62322773)

Haha! No doubt this would be the picture:

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_r...y=80&size=650x

allan5oh 03-25-2013 01:14 AM

He's like a modern day Gordie Howe, although definitely less talented.

JetsFan815 03-25-2013 01:24 AM

Third line scrub at best :sarcasm:

sully1410 03-25-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski (Post 62344767)
That's actually an awesome comparison. Ladd perhaps doesn't have quite the mean streak that Graves did (he was a nasty SOB back in the day), but very similar players overall. I don't like the Linden comparison quite as much, I think Linden was much more of a finesse guy (relatively speaking) than Ladd is.

Haha! No doubt this would be the picture:

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_r...y=80&size=650x

I agree. Linden was more based on skill...

However when I say Trevor Linden, I think that's kind of how we will think of him in a few years.

Linden's value wasn't in point totals...which weren't bad either. But both were great leaders, but played a solid two way game, they both played with a lot of heart and both are absolute warriors. After all...he'll play on crutches.

Both are/were crucial to their franchise success.

It would be no surprise to me if in 15yrs time we see a number 16 hanging from the rafters.

garret9 03-25-2013 02:09 AM

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...769&highlight= What I thought of Ladd last season :)
Pretty much holds true still IMO.

sully1410 03-25-2013 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garret9 (Post 62346525)
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...769&highlight= What I thought of Ladd last season :)
Pretty much holds true still IMO.

He's a guy that just never does get enough love. Even without being a C, he should still be in the convo. Plays alot of PK minutes and faces the toughest competition.