HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shero's Trade Deadline Deals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1385251)

Jet Set 03-25-2013 05:21 PM

Shero's Trade Deadline Deals
 
With all heat Ray Shero seems to be taking from hf posters about how he's overpaid to get Morrow and Murray, is it believable to think that Shero's setting the market price himself to watch as other team's now might have to pay even more themselves to add at the deadline?

TylerSVT* 03-25-2013 05:28 PM

Setting the price high for Iginla so that Boston has to pay.

Pontius Palat 03-25-2013 05:30 PM

What on earth would Pittsburgh have to gain by losing trade value for the purpose of making another contender lose some value? It's a lose-lose.

useless 03-25-2013 06:42 PM

I guess anything is possible. Pat Riley a while gave elton brand a huge offersheet which the clippers had to match which allowed Riley to steal Odom at a low price because the clips didn't have enough cap space. But I think it's a bit of a stretch to think this. All the moves say to me is Pittsburgh is in win now mode as they should be. If you have Crosby and Malkin in there primes on your team you put players around them not develop young players.

Shrimper 03-25-2013 06:54 PM

If he's hoping that the asking price will be too high for Chicago, Boston and LA to offer and that Pittsburgh will be the only team left on the table then it's a very shrewd move that will be very hard to pull off.

TertiaryAssist 03-25-2013 06:59 PM

I don't think he overpaid by much, if at all. Even good prospects are hit and miss, and anything below a first rounder could turn into an NHLer playing regular shifts, but probably won't.

Quote:

What on earth would Pittsburgh have to gain by losing trade value for the purpose of making another contender lose some value? It's a lose-lose.
If he sets the going rate so high that, say, Boston is unable or unwilling to deal for Iginla, or has to gut their depth to do so, that's a win. If the Bruins can roll four lines in the playoffs, then I'm worried, but I think we (and maybe a few others) will take them if it comes to top-six vs. top-six.

BeerMe 03-25-2013 07:00 PM

I think he's just going back to the 09 formula by picking up a veteran-winger-captain of a bubble team (Guerin/Morrow) and a giant veteran defenseman with some grit (Gill/Murray). It all lines up, even the alliterative names (Guerin and Gill; Morrow and Murray).

Might have gone for Iginla if Matt Irwin were a couple inches taller and half a decade older.

bobafettish* 03-25-2013 07:02 PM

pittsburgh making team better while making it a sellers market......

either brilliant or stupid if they dont win the cup.

wej20 03-25-2013 07:04 PM

I just think the prices are high, more demand this year and less supply.

Homegrown Kings 03-25-2013 07:17 PM

I think the market sets itself. Almost all the teams are close right now, and all but a few teams have a realistic chance at making the playoffs, so it's going to be hard to find sellers.

The trades netted good returns for Dallas and San Jose, but they weren't horrible over-payments. Crosby and Malkin should both be healthy heading into the playoffs, so Shero's doing the right thing trying to increase their odds at winning the Cup this season.

DrDangles 03-25-2013 07:47 PM

I didn't like giving up Joe Morrow, but in the grand scheme of things it's pretty decent value considering it's bolstering us up for a good playoff run. Giving up our 2nd and getting the Oilers' 3rd is really just a drop of about 5-10 spots most likely.

Morrow, Murray, high 3rd

for

Morrow, low 2nd, 5th, conditional 2nd/3rd next year.

I was pretty rattled at first, but when you look at the big picture Shero made the right moves.

Griffin6612 03-25-2013 07:49 PM

I feel he paid a little higher than normal due to getting the players before the dead line. He didnt want to wait for the deadline, so he payed a little more to get them early so they can work out the kinks.

UnknownAvenger 03-25-2013 07:56 PM

By making moves earlier, he has some time to see how things pan out before the deadline.

Does Murray suck horribly after a few games with the Pens? Maybe Morrow gets injured or can't find chemistry?

Then he can still make moves at the deadline.

Or maybe both fit in very well and the Pens keep rolling, giving them longer time to build chemistry and learn the system, etc...

DJENTLEMAN 03-25-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin6612 (Post 62398799)
I feel he paid a little higher than normal due to getting the players before the dead line. He didnt want to wait for the deadline, so he payed a little more to get them early so they can work out the kinks.

It's usually the other way around because of the bottleneck of the trade deadline. This is the going rate for rentals in today's NHL.




The prices are where they are because of the simple law of supply and demand.

nwpensfan 03-25-2013 08:03 PM

I think he makes these deals now, still takes a shot at getting Iginla and if he doesn't get him he has still filled needs he wanted to fill.

Habs 4 Life 03-25-2013 08:10 PM

Pens want to win the Cup now, good deals by Shero. They have plenty of D prospects, can afford to move Morrow and the picks as well. Good job IMO they became a lot harder to play against

chilly98 03-25-2013 08:14 PM

Has it been confirmed which 3rd round pick the pens got from Dallas? I haven't seen any confirmation anywhere...

Long Duk Dong 03-25-2013 08:17 PM

Shero's up to something to be trading this early. Not sure about getting Iginla though. He already added the leadership and grit, and with Kunitz and Dupuis having career years, I'm not sure I'd mess with that for the price though.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS 03-25-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet Set (Post 62384319)
With all heat Ray Shero seems to be taking from hf posters about how he's overpaid to get Morrow and Murray, is it believable to think that Shero's setting the market price himself to watch as other team's now might have to pay even more themselves to add at the deadline?

Yeah that makes sense. Now lets all hope Joe Morrow becomes a Norris winner on the Stars.

domaug* 03-25-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS (Post 62402609)
Yeah that makes sense. Now lets all hope Joe Morrow becomes a Norris winner on the Stars.

since Shero was compelled enough to trade him away for a top-9 gritty forward who's not getting any younger (or faster), i won't hold my breath.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS 03-25-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDangles (Post 62398585)
I didn't like giving up Joe Morrow, but in the grand scheme of things it's pretty decent value considering it's bolstering us up for a good playoff run. Giving up our 2nd and getting the Oilers' 3rd is really just a drop of about 5-10 spots most likely.

Morrow, Murray, high 3rd

for

Morrow, low 2nd, 5th, conditional 2nd/3rd next year.

I was pretty rattled at first, but when you look at the big picture Shero made the right moves.

Only time will tell if he made the right moves. Lets not forget that B Morrow is UFA. He just gave up his best prospect and former first round pick for a chance to wn a cup. If they lose the cup and Morrow leaves he has pretty much nothing to show for it.

OCPenguin 03-25-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwpensfan (Post 62400389)
I think he makes these deals now, still takes a shot at getting Iginla and if he doesn't get him he has still filled needs he wanted to fill.

There is no reason to take a shot at getting a player Pittsburgh DOESN'T need. It is pretty obvious Pittsburgh isn't getting or even in the nut for Iggy. The Pens actions yesterday and today said so. They gave up assets for two potential guys that could bolt. I doubt they give up two top prospects and a first for another rental. Makes zero sense. Pittsburgh filled its needs. No need to add anything else, with exception of maybe a fourth line upgrade.

Predatials 03-25-2013 08:23 PM

Shero is a class act. Pens always find gem FAs. They seem to always be 1 or 2 players away from a deep run.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS 03-25-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domaug (Post 62403001)
since Shero was compelled enough to trade him away for a top-9 gritty forward who's not getting any younger (or faster), i won't hold my breath.

The NYI thought the same about Zdeno Chara

TOML 03-25-2013 08:24 PM

Meh. He could've waited and paid less. But he must feel his team has a decent shot. Don't blame him. His team is on a roll.


TOML


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.