HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Prospect Info: Shayne Gostisbehere: The Leading Dutchmen (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1385263)

ShawnTHW 03-25-2013 05:25 PM

Shayne Gostisbehere: The Leading Dutchmen
 
http://thehockeywriters.com/shayne-g...ding-dutchman/

Here is a quick overview on Gostisbehere's productive season this year and the likelihood that he may lead his Dutchmen to another Frozen Four.

I like this pick more and more each day.

LegionOfDoom91 03-25-2013 05:31 PM

Prior to the WJC's I had no idea how heavy his shot was. His game winner against Sweden in the pre-tourney game was a rocket.

nuclear reactor 03-25-2013 05:35 PM

Hope he is in the AHL next year. Two years in that mediocre league is enough.

Beef Invictus 03-25-2013 05:37 PM

I saw him play for ten minutes max this year, but he was impressive in that tiny bit of play. He was absolutely all over the ice, making big plays on defense and offense. His name was mentioned almost as much as Crosby's on an NBC broadcast :laugh:.

RussianRocket10 03-25-2013 05:38 PM

Glad to hear Pierre hyping him up last night.

LegionOfDoom91 03-25-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 62385543)
I saw him play for ten minutes max this year, but he was impressive in that tiny bit of play. He was absolutely all over the ice, making big plays on defense and offense. His name was mentioned almost as much as Crosby's on an NBC broadcast :laugh:.

He was mentioned in one of Pierre's college rants last night actually. :laugh:

sa cyred 03-25-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclear reactor (Post 62385405)
Hope he is in the AHL next year. Two years in that mediocre league is enough.

ECAC is far from mediocre... Or you talking about the NCAA?

Roo Mad Bro 03-25-2013 06:15 PM

Have seen him play a couple times this year, all of his play for the USA world junior team (including the pre-tourney game against Sweden) and one of his games while at Union.

I really like him. Great skater, hell of a shot, good passer and decent enough defensively. He won't ever be a physical menace back there, but he's an offensive dman.

Wouldn't surprise me if he became a 2nd pair offensive dman who can QB the PP.

BobbyClarkeFan16 03-25-2013 06:16 PM

I'm so looking forward to Gostisbehere turning pro. I'd like to see him play one more season in the NCAA though. Let him pack on some weight there and get used to the additional weight and then come to the AHL once he's used to playing with the extra pounds. I'm really thinking we're going to see Rafalski 2.0 IF the Flyers give him proper development time and they don't rush him or lose patience.

Curufinwe 03-25-2013 06:56 PM

It will be great to have a defenseman on the Flyers with a really heavy shot, even if it's still years away.

Hockeypete49 03-25-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 (Post 62388489)
I'm so looking forward to Gostisbehere turning pro. I'd like to see him play one more season in the NCAA though. Let him pack on some weight there and get used to the additional weight and then come to the AHL once he's used to playing with the extra pounds. I'm really thinking we're going to see Rafalski 2.0 IF the Flyers give him proper development time and they don't rush him or lose patience.

I to do not want to rush this kid. One thing I have noticed is he has a little mean streak in him, almost to the extent of being dirty. For a guy his size that may be a good thing cause it may give him some room in the future. Anyway glad to see this pick by the Flyers working out so far.

DrinkFightFlyers 03-25-2013 07:12 PM

Stoked to watch him in the tourney. I saw him play in a game on NBC Sports during the lockout (I think...don't remember exactly when). He didn't really stand out too much but its cool seeing these guys play in college. I remember when an NCAA hockey game on TV was unheard of.

FlyersFan61290 03-25-2013 08:55 PM

For a small guy he can hit too. I remember seeing him throw more then a few open ice hits.

Jtown 03-25-2013 09:04 PM

There were times during the exhibition games and tournament games where he looked like the best player on the ice. The kid has 2 elite skills. Skating and his shot. His puckhandling is not bad either and he is very poised on offense, he really had great vision on the offense end.

On defense he is a liability right now, but with experience and coaching hopefully that will change.

Coppy 03-25-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 62385921)
ECAC is far from mediocre... Or you talking about the NCAA?

I think its clearly a step below the WCHA and HockeyEast. Probably on the same level with CCHA. That said, it gets somewhat of undeserved rep as Class B D1 Hockey.

Beef Invictus 03-25-2013 10:14 PM

I don't remember ever seeing him participate in tough board battles, his physicality came in open ice hits, and his defensive plays were largely stickwork. That's something he would absolutely have to work on, unless my sweeping generalization based on 10 minutes of viewing is somehow incorrect :laugh:

sa cyred 03-25-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtown (Post 62410095)
There were times during the exhibition games and tournament games where he looked like the best player on the ice. The kid has 2 elite skills. Skating and his shot. His puckhandling is not bad either and he is very poised on offense, he really had great vision on the offense end.

On defense he is a liability right now, but with experience and coaching hopefully that will change.

If anything Ghosts' defensive play is 3x as good as it was. His Union coach and WJC coach raved about his defensive play. Ghost's main skills are slapshot and skating like other have said. He also has the puck-handling ability that, if he continues to improve, can make him a top 4 defender. His passing is also strong and tape to tape.

One thing holding him back is size. He is small and skinny. His defensive play isnt BAD anymore. Obviously he isnt a shutdown defender, but according to his coaches and people that watch him, its not as bad as people are claiming it to be.

sa cyred 03-25-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 62419443)
I don't remember ever seeing him participate in tough board battles, his physicality came in open ice hits, and his defensive plays were largely stickwork. That's something he would absolutely have to work on, unless my sweeping generalization based on 10 minutes of viewing is somehow incorrect :laugh:

HATE to use the comparison, really do, but his defensive play is similar to Kimo's in positioning and stick work (Not saying he is on Kimo's level. Saying that the style of play is similar).

BringBackStevens 03-25-2013 10:44 PM

Really hope he can put it all together. His skill set is exactly what this squad needs. That shot and foot speed is redic

Beef Invictus 03-25-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 62419771)
HATE to use the comparison, really do, but his defensive play is similar to Kimo's in positioning and stick work (Not saying he is on Kimo's level. Saying that the style of play is similar).

Haha, don't get me excited.

I haven't seen nearly enough of him to make comparisons, just enough to make me intrigued.

Cyborg LeClair 03-25-2013 11:34 PM

I really enjoyed what I saw from this kid during the WJC. Like others have said, I was impressed with his shot, skating, and passing. His defense was really good too save for one game where he had a couple costly turnovers.

Love hearing good things about him and look forward to him QBing our power play some day. Definitely my favorite prospect

BillyShoe1721 03-26-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 62385921)
ECAC is far from mediocre... Or you talking about the NCAA?

ECAC is a clear step down from Hockey East and the WCHA, and isn't exactly a hotbed for NHL prospects.

freakydallas13 03-26-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 62419661)
If anything Ghosts' defensive play is 3x as good as it was. His Union coach and WJC coach raved about his defensive play. Ghost's main skills are slapshot and skating like other have said. He also has the puck-handling ability that, if he continues to improve, can make him a top 4 defender. His passing is also strong and tape to tape.

One thing holding him back is size. He is small and skinny. His defensive play isnt BAD anymore. Obviously he isnt a shutdown defender, but according to his coaches and people that watch him, its not as bad as people are claiming it to be.

Man, would it ever be nice to have a defender who could take slapshots again. Haven't had that since Pronger got injured.

Beef Invictus 03-26-2013 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydallas13 (Post 62428389)
Man, would it ever be nice to have a defender who could take slapshots again. Haven't had that since Pronger got injured.

It's a shame Mez is a smoothbore. Schenn sorta does it; he has a weird half-slapper he likes to use. More of a super-wrist shot I guess.

OzFlyer 03-26-2013 04:45 AM

Can we trade him for Ryan yet? :sarcasm:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.