HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Emergence of Ray Emery as the #1 goaltender (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1386403)

LandofLincoln 03-27-2013 12:25 AM

Emergence of Ray Emery as the #1 goaltender
 
It's a good problem to have. Both goalies are playing as Brandon Saad would say AWESOME.

I guess you can say we have a 1a & 1b goaltender. Emery is now the 1a and just moved ahead of Crawford.

Sure we don't need the controversy, but the team plays better behind Emery. If the playoffs started next week Emery should be the guy in net.

Chris Hansen 03-27-2013 12:33 AM

Guy plays horrible hockey for a while, then gets a shutout off of a pathetic offensive showing by probably the worst offensive team in the league, and now he's "emerged" as the #1 goalie.

LandofLincoln 03-27-2013 12:37 AM

Horrible hockey what he is 12-0. Oh you mean last season when we had a non elite defense? We were short a top four defenseman 2/3rds of the season until we acquired Oduya.

After we got Oduya the goaltending was better until Crawford got soft in the playoffs.

Crawford's still going to be the guy because he hasn't done anything wrong to lose the starting job.

Hansen you need to give credit where it is do.... The team plays better for Ray Emery.

Trance Kuja 03-27-2013 12:38 AM

There is no controversy. There is no battle for who's #1. Crawford is our starting goalie.

But Emery has been great, don't get me wrong.

Chris Hansen 03-27-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LandofLincoln (Post 62505131)
Horrible hockey what he is 12-0. Oh you mean last season when we had a non elite defense? We were short a top four defenseman 2/3rds of the season until we acquired Oduya.

After we got Oduya the goaltending was better until Crawford got soft in the playoffs.

Crawford's still going to be the guy because he hasn't done anything wrong to lose the starting job.

Hansen you need to give credit where it is do.... The team plays better for Ray Emery.

No, I mean this season. He played incredibly well for a huge stretch of this year. It would have made more sense for people to post things like this about a month ago. He's tailed off lately and had three or four subpar starts in a row (by my memory). Tonight he faces maybe 2 genuine scoring chances and shuts out the Flames - not going to go nuts over that.

Wins are a meaningless stat. Emery was pulled when it was 4-0 against Edmonton and Crawford ended up with the loss. It means nothing at all.

The team doesn't play better for either goalie in particular. I don't know where you're getting that from.

I like Emery, he's been a good backup all year long and I'm not about to start yelling "trade" because he had a rough stretch recently. Nor am I about to start yelling "replace Crawford with Emery" because CC has had a tough go of it recently and Emery shut out one of the most pathetic teams in the league.
Crawford's a better goalie. Emery has been a high quality backup. That's the end of it.

LandofLincoln 03-27-2013 01:29 AM

Wins aren't exactly meaningless stats. I get your point. He isn't as good as the perfect record. Plus I agree tonight was probably the easiest shutout of his career.

Bur its still a shutout and looks good. :D

massivegoonery 03-27-2013 01:39 AM

There's really no reason that their starts shouldn't be 50/50 from now until something changes.

TheDoorDoctor 03-27-2013 01:39 AM

Emery has been the back up weve ever wanted! that being said crawford is number one.

Sarava 03-27-2013 02:43 AM

I don't want to sound like a Debby Downer - but I still don't trust either of them for the playoffs. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

Sir Psycho T 03-27-2013 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarava (Post 62507397)
I don't want to sound like a Debby Downer - but I still don't trust either of them for the playoffs. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

I agree with this. Both have looked better but both still have moments of real concern.

As for this. Crawford loses to the Stanley Cup champs and is horrible, Emery shuts-out the worst team in the NHL and should be the #1? NO!

Emery has the better record but Crawford has the better SV% and GAA and has done it against stiffer competition.

Bubba88 03-27-2013 06:41 AM

I'm with Sarava. I'm not sold on our goalies and have my doubts.

I really think Goaltending is going to kill us in the POs. Emery is not the starter. He won't get the job.

Hawkaholic 03-27-2013 09:05 AM

I trust our goalies if the team in front of them plays good defensively, like last night. When they play like they did against LA, or against ANA in the last 10mins, I don't trust them. But that can be said for any goalie on any team.

Sevanston 03-27-2013 09:17 AM

I'm a big Emery supporter and even I think this is going too far.

Ray has earned the right to be free from criticism, and maybe even to split the starts 50/50, but he hasn't taken the reins from Crawford yet.

And much to Ray's credit, he knows it. He said as much during his postgame interview last night. Crawford's the guy.

Sir Psycho T 03-27-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkaholic (Post 62512681)
I trust our goalies if the team in front of them plays good defensively, like last night. When they play like they did against LA, or against ANA in the last 10mins, I don't trust them. But that can be said for any goalie on any team.

So you don't trust our goalies is what your saying?

ObeyMashinter 03-27-2013 09:59 AM

Next game he lets in 5 goals and this thread goes up in flames.

Chris Hansen 03-27-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObeyBollig (Post 62514839)
Next game he lets in 5 goals and this thread goes up in flames.

Exactly :laugh:

digdug41982 03-27-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObeyBollig (Post 62514839)
Next game he lets in 5 goals and this thread goes up in flames.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg4rr7V3tw1qaifa5.gif

deckercky 03-27-2013 10:08 AM

Hate the Blackhawks, but can't hate on Emery. Amazing that he's been able to recover to play at this level.

As mentioned though - he hasn't stolen the starter role from Crawford yet - both goalies have very similar great stats. Great for the Blackhawks who don't have to lean too heavily on either one.

Blackhawkswincup 03-27-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarava (Post 62507397)
I don't want to sound like a Debby Downer - but I still don't trust either of them for the playoffs. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

I am in same boat

I trust Crawford a little more because I think back to Nucks series and hope he can get hot like that for playoffs

BobbyJet 03-27-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup (Post 62518767)
I am in same boat

I trust Crawford a little more because I think back to Nucks series and hope he can get hot like that for playoffs

Yep ... me too. But unlike last year, I think Q needs to keep both in game shape. Emery seems to handle pressure better and he's been there. If Crawford falters he needs to be pulled and visa versa.

brtriad 03-27-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massivegoonery (Post 62506543)
There's really no reason that their starts shouldn't be 50/50 from now until something changes.

Agreed. Put them on even footing and let one win the job rather than have Crawford lose it.

Also I vote to rename this thread the cold steel suicide watch GDT.

WarriorofTime 03-27-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris hansen (Post 62505005)
guy plays horrible hockey for a while, then gets a shutout off of a pathetic offensive showing by probably the worst offensive team in the league, and now he's "emerged" as the #1 goalie.

worst 12-0-0 goalie ever

Hawkaholic 03-27-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T (Post 62514289)
So you don't trust our goalies is what your saying?

...no.

I said, if our team is playing well in front of them, I trust them. If they aren't then I don't. Unlike last year, when I didn't trust them even when the team in front of them was playing well.

slappipappi 03-27-2013 12:32 PM

Crawford gets the starts vs. the Kings and the Ducks, Emery gets the start vs. the Flames.

I think management has spoken about who the #1 goalie is.

Trance Kuja 03-27-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkaholic (Post 62522681)
...no.

I said, if our team is playing well in front of them, I trust them. If they aren't then I don't. Unlike last year, when I didn't trust them even when the team in front of them was playing well.

Last season, you knew a softie would go in at some point and blow the lead and during the PK, every shot was dangerous because of the same reason. This year? Not so much.

I always had faith in Crawford, though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.