HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   NHL Draft - Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Top 50: Brodin leads middle group in 2013 Spring prospect rankings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1386711)

HF Article 03-27-2013 01:15 PM

Top 50: Brodin leads middle group in 2013 Spring prospect rankings

Many of the players in the middle section of the Hockey's Future 2013 Spring ranking of the Top 50 NHL prospects have experienced excellent growth over the past season and have risen in the ranks as a result. Among the most notable is Minnesota Wild defenseman Jonas Brodin, who has played well for the Wild in a shutdown role alongside Ryan Suter.

Brodin is not alone however. Winger Jakob Silfverberg has helped an injury-depleted Ottawa Senators team stay in the playoff hunt while Brandon Saad has been a fantastic complement to Chicago Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews.

21. Jonas Brodin, D – Minnesota Wild
Height: 6-1 Weight:170, Fall Ranking – 28

In his first season of North American hockey, Brodin has shown himself to be one of the best young puck movers in the game.… read more

More...

WreckItRask 03-27-2013 02:00 PM

Not to be a hater, but I don't think there are 20 prospects that I would choose over Brodin after watching him all this year. And that includes, even as a Bruins fan, Dougie Hamilton, who I am assuming is ranked higher. He's not a product of Ryan Suter. Anyways, it's all subjective so whatever.

Eye Floater 03-27-2013 02:00 PM

If there's really 20 better prospects than Brodin, then this league is going to have lots of ridiculously good players in the near future.

Veritas0Aequitas 03-27-2013 02:24 PM

Silfverberg is too low IMO.

InjuredChoker 03-27-2013 02:25 PM

Wow.

Bodin should have been top10 imo.

Crede777 03-27-2013 02:29 PM

Surprised to see Silfverberg at 30. He's my personal favorite to watch in Ottawa right now.

Brodin is at 20 while Granlund is (presumably) higher? Can a Wild fan tell me if that makes sense because it doesn't for me. The expectations for Granlund have been higher, sure, but Brodin's production and contribution should put him ahead in my opinion.

EveryDay 03-27-2013 03:12 PM

Who's left?

thomast 03-27-2013 03:24 PM

Brodin at 21 :biglaugh:

Jbcraig1883 03-27-2013 03:27 PM

I can't get upset with these lists since mine would have plenty of errors. But, as most have said, will be interested to see who is above him on the list.

As for Granlund, I would easily put Granlund below Brodin. Not because I think less of Granlund but rather how well Brodin is playing as a 19 year old.

We all have seen some good, young defenseman come into the league the past few years that had success but I don't know I have seen any 19 year old defenseman come in and be this good positionally, defensively, and in the breakout. It is just time before the offense starts coming.

AmericanDream 03-27-2013 03:30 PM

so Dumba is that much higher than Trouba...hmmm

Minnesota 03-27-2013 03:35 PM

I can't name any rookie/prospect that has impressed more than Brodin this season. #21 seems mighty low.

Quote:

The 19-year-old blueliner missed close to three months of the season to a broken clavicle, appearing in only nine AHL games before he was called up to Minnesota. Since joining the Wild, Brodin has been thrown to the wolves. He leads all rookie defensemen in average ice time and routinely skates in defensive situations against the opponent's best forwards. He has fantastic vision and awareness, but what has been most impressive is his confidence and smart decision-making, both of which are far above average for a player his age.
Thrown to the wolves? More like taming the wolves. :laugh:

Minnesota 03-27-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanDream (Post 62529583)
so Dumba is that much higher than Trouba...hmmm

Even as a Wild fan, I'd put Trouba ahead of Dumba right now. This list is a head-scratcher.

InfinityIggy 03-27-2013 03:38 PM

Yeah Brodin should be higher.

Still no Baertschi so far..

massivegoonery 03-27-2013 03:55 PM

How is Kyle Palmieri, "a winger with top-six potential" above Brandon Saad, who "is poised to hold down a top-six wing spot for the foreseeable future in Chicago?"

Jacko95 03-27-2013 03:56 PM

They must really value Vasilevski high, because he is no way under Subban, so he must be on the list.

Garo 03-27-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massivegoonery (Post 62531129)
How is Kyle Palmieri, "a winger with top-six potential" above Brandon Saad, who "is poised to hold down a top-six wing spot for the foreseeable future in Chicago?"

1st round pick.

tyratoku 03-27-2013 04:14 PM

So Jonas Brodin, leading rookies in ice time, currently playing on the top defensive pairing of a top-8 team in the NHL, is only one place in front of a guy who has barely even played this season?

Speaking of Klefbom, how is he above guys playing in the NHL already? Like Smith, Despres, Saad and Palmieri?

How is Dumba so far ahead of Trouba? How are half of these guys ahead of Trouba?

This list is such a head scratcher.

Lehner 03-27-2013 04:20 PM

Lehner at 31, and Brodin at 21...These guys are both top 10 easily.

Horrible list, why is Klefbom higher then Saad as well??

I actually dont mind where Silfverberg is, 30 seems about right to me maybe a little too low.

Also Brendan Smith shouldnt even be in these rankings, hes not very good..Just cause hes a Red Wing hes been talked as an underrated prospect.

Usually I can see where your coming from with your list but this one is just terrible.

nickschultzfan 03-27-2013 04:43 PM

Forget top-20, Brodin should be top-5. Kid is a learning machine. He makes adjustments mid-game as a 19-year-old.

danishh 03-27-2013 04:46 PM

this list reads like a direct shot at trouba...7 dmen in a row there.

airforceones25 03-27-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massivegoonery (Post 62531129)

Bitter much? Actually Palmieri skates on the top line with Getzlaf and Perry quite often. But one spot on a questionable list at best has you all hot and bothered. :laugh:

Not to mention they have nearly identical stats with the goal scoring in favor of Palmieri. He also dominated the AHL for 2.5 years. He's a proven commodity and you are *****ing about 1 spot. LOLOLOL

RomersWorld* 03-27-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

At age 24, Brendan Smith has finally cracked the Detroit Red Wings roster full-time.
Congrats to him. Pretty impressive that this 24 year old is now a full-timer NHL player.

It is just insulting that this guy is listed over Brandon Saad who is a top 6 player at age 20. I mean, Brendan Smith was drafted in 2007, compared to 2011 for Saad and many of these other prospects. I really don't see any reason why he is a top 30 prospect other than unreasonable hype which should have already been defunked by now. He is an offensive defenseman who has 3 points in 22 games and plays bad defense...he is 24 years old. I just don't get it.

joe89 03-27-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine (Post 62524555)
Not to be a hater, but I don't think there are 20 prospects that I would choose over Brodin after watching him all this year. And that includes, even as a Bruins fan, Dougie Hamilton, who I am assuming is ranked higher. He's not a product of Ryan Suter. Anyways, it's all subjective so whatever.

I agree, but a ranking like this is skewed when you have guys proving themselves in the NHL vs junior players.

TMLife 03-27-2013 05:12 PM

Where was kadri rated in the last list before this season started?

umwoz 03-27-2013 05:31 PM

Beaulieu, Klefbom, Dumba, Gormley, Despres, Smith

I'd rate Trouba ahead of at least two of those guys.