HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   The Calgary Flames... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1387341)

viper0220 03-27-2013 11:59 PM

The Calgary Flames...

How much trouble is this team in? Iginla gets traded for basically a 5th defencemen and a prospect that may never come to the NHL and a 1st round pick that is conditional. You can not blame Feaster alone on this deal, Murray Edwards the majority owner had a hand in this trade. Do you guys think the Flames will be able to rebound from this? I don't think Feaster is the one who should be in charge of this. The demise of this franchise happened when Hotchkiss passed away.

Roboturner913 03-28-2013 12:01 AM

I think they pretty much sat down with Iginla and had a gentleman's agreement that he would turn back around and sign with Calgary as a free agent.

Otherwise, it makes no sense and the GM (or whoever brokered the trade) should absolutely be fired/run out of town.

nwaZ 03-28-2013 12:02 AM

Is Bartkowski even NHL-calibre?

HavlatMach9 03-28-2013 12:02 AM

It's the beginning of the rebuild. Things don't usually look good at very start.

MuffinMerc 03-28-2013 12:03 AM

The move of a Iginla may also be followed my more deals: which means that the organization is cleaning house and our rebuild is finally under way. Obviously the Iginla return isn't what we thought it would be: but it was it is, and we have other players that can yield some good returns and help with rebuilding.

All I care right now is:
-Iginla wins the Cup with the Bruins
-The Flames can start a rebuild

AKL 03-28-2013 12:06 AM

It's a sad state of affairs in Alberta.

Tommy Torini 03-28-2013 12:07 AM

I really really hope for Calgary's sake the package is better than what has been rumoured.

It'd be a sucky way to start, but hey, at least they started.

viper0220 03-28-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roboturner913 (Post 62587405)
I think they pretty much sat down with Iginla and had a gentleman's agreement that he would turn back around and sign with Calgary as a free agent.

Otherwise, it makes no sense and the GM (or whoever brokered the trade) should absolutely be fired/run out of town.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuffinMerc (Post 62587625)
The move of a Iginla may also be followed my more deals: which means that the organization is cleaning house and our rebuild is finally under way. Obviously the Iginla return isn't what we thought it would be: but it was it is, and we have other players that can yield some good returns and help with rebuilding.

All I care right now is:
-Iginla wins the Cup with the Bruins
-The Flames can start a rebuild

Do you think Feaster should be in charge of that rebuild.

Finlandia WOAT 03-28-2013 12:09 AM

He. Is. A. Rental.

What did you think he would get, looking at the history of what other rentals got (ie, a cavalcade of decent, but not great, prospects, mediocre roster players and late 20-40 range draft picks)?

CptxMorgan 03-28-2013 12:09 AM

Don't underestimate the amount of potential Koko has. He was far and away our top prospect.

Count Von Grabo* 03-28-2013 12:11 AM

If Boston doesn't resign him does the 1st turn into a 2nd? Or do they get no pick at all?

LiquidSnake* 03-28-2013 12:13 AM

if the package is indeed what is rumored, this reaction from fans seems appopriate:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzpijxGou81qday2l.gif

Mctopchowda 03-28-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

This literally comes up with every rental but never happens.

To answer the question: Not in as much trouble as people think. Iggy was the franchise player, but this year he wasnt the same dominant player he was 2-3 years ago. They will likely only lose 1 or 2 more games this year than if they had iggy. So a .500 ish team, not sure if theyd like to have that record or not

Canucks5551 03-28-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell (Post 62588033)
He. Is. A. Rental.

What did you think he would get, looking at the history of what other rentals got (ie, a cavalcade of decent, but not great, prospects, mediocre roster players and late 20-40 range draft picks)?

Look at what past top rentals like Kaberle (1st, 2nd, Colborne) got. Calgary got really poor value for Iginla.

MuffinMerc 03-28-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper0220 (Post 62587943)
Do you think Feaster should be in charge of that rebuild.

Of course not. Cleaning house might also entail changing of management (unfortunately this doesn't include ownership).

Sir Jack III 03-28-2013 12:16 AM

Feaster's gonna make this rebuild take 2x longer than it should

HockeyFan100 03-28-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Von Grabo (Post 62588259)
If Boston doesn't resign him does the 1st turn into a 2nd? Or do they get no pick at all?

No pick

Badger Mayhew* 03-28-2013 12:19 AM

Calgary looking more and more like the post 04/05 lockout Leafs every day.

Semantics 03-28-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

So they can trade him at the deadline again next year? I don't get the rationale for bringing him back to an organization that's rebuilding, it wouldn't make much sense for either side.

Evincar 03-28-2013 12:21 AM

I like Joe Morrow better than the 2 prospects who are rumored to be the return for Iginla.

Semantics 03-28-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canucks5551 (Post 62588587)
Look at what past top rentals like Kaberle (1st, 2nd, Colborne) got. Calgary got really poor value for Iginla.

Or maybe Boston just overpaid for Kaberle.

Roboturner913 03-28-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper0220 (Post 62588723)
No pick and that first round pick is in 2014 not 2013.

LOL, nevermind, that is terrible. I shouldn't have given it the benefit of the doubt. :laugh:

parabola 03-28-2013 12:22 AM

I don't think Calgary did bad... When you trade someone with a NMC, who is on his last year of his contract and is as old as Iginla, the return isn't going to be as amazing as you'd think.

fallsviewafro* 03-28-2013 12:23 AM

To all the "voices of reason" out there who insist that the simple fact that Iginla is a rental and/or is past his prime means this trade is fair:

There is no possible objective way you could possibly defend this trade as not being at the very least strongly in the Bruin's favour.

There is a big middle ground between a king's ransom for Iggy and a former 2nd, a nobody, and a conditional pick. Legendary talents don't just shut off at the age of 35, and given how much other rentals have gone for (see: Kaberle) this is at the very least a sick joke being played on Flames fans.

No, we don't expect the king's ransom that we would've received three years ago as HFB never fails to constantly mention. We DO expect more than a trade that essentially boils down to a legend for a decent prospect. This is 100% a win for the Bruins, and while Feaster's options certainly were limited, for him to come out with only this return is absolutely unacceptable.

This IS Jay "Waiver Wire" Feaster we're talking about. Or Jay "Janks" Feaster. Or Jay "We'll make the playoffs" Feaster. Or Jay "we don't need a rebuild" Feaster.... etc etc. Do you really think there is any possible way he'd come out on top of a trade with Chiarelli - the guy who fleeces the Maple Leafs... who have only ever fleeced us? Get real. This is a travesty.

A1LeafNation 03-28-2013 12:24 AM

First the O'Rielly debacle now this. Im not a Flames fan, but fire that GM ASAP.