HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Rask-Trying to get a feel for the average Bruins fan on here, please help (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1387363)

Colt.45Orr 03-28-2013 12:22 AM

Rask-Trying to get a feel for the average Bruins fan on here, please help

Tonight is an easy game to pile up on Rask because he let in 5 goals.

In a few weeks we'll look back on this game, look at his save percentage and wonder why he isn't "clutch" and all that garbage. Same as that Buffalo game where Sabres got to set up a tent and champing chair in-front of Rask.

When I look at those goals tonight I don't see him having any chance on 4 of them, and the other one was not his fault. But that is just my take and I know all fans have their biases.... so I'm kind of curious as to who saw it different.

Goal #1) Ryder has 3 seconds alone in front of the net with blown coverage. (Rask stopped Ryder all alone a few moments earlier). I'd expect an NHL sniper with that opportunity to bury it.
Verdict: Not his fault

Goal #2) Puck goes through Pandolfo out to the point to Subban (Pandolfo's point man) who blows a shot past a screen off the bar and in. Tuuka didn't get to see it at all.
Verdict: No Chance

Goal #3) Ference gets caught flat-footed reaching for a puck (stop me if you've heard this before) leaving to a 2-1 that is horribly played by Hamilton --either you close off the shot or cover the pass... Hamilton did neither and it was a perfect 1-timer.

Goal #4) Rask comes out to challenge the shot as he needs to --shot goes high but terrible unlucky bounce off Siedenberg's face right back to Gallagher's stick.
Verdict: Terrible luck on the fluke bounce... no chance

Goal #5) Perfect deflection in from Chara right in-front of the crease.
Verdict: Brutal luck... no chance.

Then I believe he stopped the first 5 shooters --which should be enough to win the game usually.

Anyway, I would like to hear which goals he had any chance on tonight? Maybe it will give me some insight or I will learn something new.

To me, the problem is that we are giving up way too many great scoring chances but I'm always ready for an education and would like to gauge the fanbase's reaction.

wKetch22 03-28-2013 12:24 AM

Agreed 100%

I can't believe people were saying he choked in the shootout, the Bruins forwards choked. They didn't make Budaj make a single tough save, yet Rask was challenged on almost every single chance.

I feel bad for him... Especially on that last one. The only thing that I think would have been better, is if he played a little less agressive. I dont know if he picked that up from Timmy or what, but he seems to get burned a lot because of it. Then again I'm not an NHL goalie or a goalie coach so I don't really know

BigBadBruin8 03-28-2013 12:26 AM

Played fairly well. Not his best, but not poor. I do think he could have done better on goal #1, which is the one I referenced.

The D is patchwork right now, and they weren't exactly at their best before 54 and 55 got hurt. Boychuk back ASAP will help as it would mean no more Providence guys skating shifts.

Typical Bruins 03-28-2013 12:28 AM

Personally I don't think any of the goals tonight could be blamed on Rask. He played each shot the best he could and was positionally sound.

If anyone is to blame it's the defense in front of him.

thornton22 03-28-2013 12:48 AM

I agree 100% that none of it was Rask's fault. I also don't think the offense is to blame at all, 5 goals is good enough for me. If there is anyone to blame it's the defense, but in all honesty we didn't make too many mistakes tonight. We played well and got incredibly unlucky. Defense was't up to par but two of our key d-men are injured so that's not going to help. The Habs are a team that has a lot of snipers, and you can expect a game with lots of goals. We did our part generating offense, the Habs stole this one.

unifiedtheory 03-28-2013 01:10 AM

He had a chance on two of them and both would have been saves that make highlight of the night.

Tonight was not his fault. Bad bounces and luck screwed us tonight.

Let the Habs have their moment in the Sun. Let Patches talk about jealousy. I hope we see them in May.

sjaustin77 03-28-2013 02:04 AM

Don't think there is another goalie I would want over Rask. Possibly Lundqvist, but he is 5 years older.

B's Defense has left him out to dry far too often. Almost every goal he has had no chance on. Breakaways, 2 on 1's, tips or screens - most of which he has actually stopped. If he sees it he is going to stop it more than any other goalie.

People really need to watch more non Bruins hockey to see the type of soft goals other goalies give up. The standards this board has for its players and team is unrealistic. They need to be compared to the other players and teams playing, not some fantasy idea of what you think they should be doing.

Tied for 3rd in Sv% at .923

Some other "elite" goalies
Lundqvist - .922
Howard - .919
Fleury - .918
Brodeur - .912
Rinne - .911
Miller - .911
Price - .911
Ward - .908
Luongo - .904
Quick - .895

Bi Coastal Bawse* 03-28-2013 02:08 AM

Before reading your analysis I thought maybe 1-2 were his fault. Now I believe maybe none of them.

We could have WON the shoot out Rask did what was expected of him but the shooters all shot at Budaj chest.

Rask is the least of the Bruins problems I LOVE TT but Rask is good. Give him a break. He had Krug, Ference and Johnson in front of him tonight AND Hamilton(a rookie)

thornton22 03-28-2013 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse (Post 62600777)
Before reading your analysis I thought maybe 1-2 were his fault. Now I believe maybe none of them.

We could have WON the shoot out Rask did what was expected of him but the shooters all shot at Budaj chest.

Rask is the least of the Bruins problems I LOVE TT but Rask is good. Give him a break. He had Krug, Ference and Johnson in front of him tonight AND Hamilton(a rookie)

Exactly. None of the regulation goals were on him. Poor guy actually gets us to a 6th round in the SO without any of our shooters managing to score and now it's all his fault. How many SOs even make it to round 6 with not one shooter on your team scoring? Obviously when that happens, you have yourself a very good goalie. And it's not like the Habs don't have some good shooters... I love TT too, but we have Rask now, and Rask is damn good, so I'm sick of everyone saying, "he's not TT" or "TT would have saved that". Honestly, we're lucky to have such a great goalie coming off of TT, it could have been a lot worse.

smithformeragent 03-28-2013 05:39 AM

It was just gone of those uncharacteristic high scoring, back and forth games. Fun to watch, but lacking structure. Price is a franchise goalie, and he got chased.

Bottom line is that Rask will forever be in Thomas' shadow until he wins a cup. It's unfair expectations, but it's like being Tom Brady's successor.

BruinsPortugal 03-28-2013 05:45 AM

As soon as that puck went of seids face i knew we're gonna lose. just one of those days.

Not to mention the johnson penalty...no words.

Trap Jesus 03-28-2013 05:51 AM

He didn't have much of a chance but he COULD HAVE made some big stops on the first and third goals with some highlight reel saves. Those are ones that you can't fault him on but sometimes you can come up with big saves on them.

Latrappe 03-28-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr (Post 62589169)
Tonight is an easy game to pile up on Rask because he let in 5 goals.

In a few weeks we'll look back on this game, look at his save percentage and wonder why he isn't "clutch" and all that garbage. Same as that Buffalo game where Sabres got to set up a tent and champing chair in-front of Rask.

When I look at those goals tonight I don't see him having any chance on 4 of them, and the other one was not his fault. But that is just my take and I know all fans have their biases.... so I'm kind of curious as to who saw it different.

Goal #1) Ryder has 3 seconds alone in front of the net with blown coverage. (Rask stopped Ryder all alone a few moments earlier). I'd expect an NHL sniper with that opportunity to bury it.
Verdict: Not his fault

Goal #2) Puck goes through Pandolfo out to the point to Subban (Pandolfo's point man) who blows a shot past a screen off the bar and in. Tuuka didn't get to see it at all.

Goal #3) Ference gets caught flat-footed reaching for a puck (stop me if you've heard this before) leaving to a 2-1 that is horribly played by Hamilton --either you close off the shot or cover the pass... Hamilton did neither and it was a perfect 1-timer.

Goal #4) Rask comes out to challenge the shot as he needs to --shot goes high but terrible unlucky bounce off Siedenberg's face right back to Gallagher's stick.
Verdict: Terrible luck on the fluke bounce... no chance

Goal #5) Perfect deflection in from Chara right in-front of the crease.
Verdict: Brutal luck... no chance.

Then I believe he stopped the first 5 shooters --which should be enough to win the game usually.

Anyway, I would like to hear which goals he had any chance on tonight? Maybe it will give me some insight or I will learn something new.

To me, the problem is that we are giving up way too many great scoring chances but I'm always ready for an education and would like to gauge the fanbase's reaction.

Very good post. To me, it's quite simple: some posters ( and we know who they are ) are simply living in the past. They can't get over the fact that Thomas decided to sit a year and leave the team in limbo. Each and every time, it's always the same speech with the so obvious conclusion ( at least, for them ): Thomas would have made that save. Of course, most of time, it's not accurate and these posters make a point to forget the pre-2011 version of Thomas where he was not so good and prone to mistakes/bad goals ( beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, after all ) To be honest, i think we will have to live with this crap until Rask win a Cup or is traded elsewhere. Rask's numbers are there and as some posters have underligne, this blueline is not playing the same top notch defense as 2011. If you look at the past 10 games, it's clear that this D-corps have problems to make a clean clearing attemp when they are stuck in their own end. Not the same sharpness, not the same focus; Definitely not the same squad as 2011.

Kaoz 03-28-2013 06:00 AM

None were Rask's fault. Bad luck all around last night.

Hamilton looks really solid, but he has a pretty bad defensive gaff at least once a night. Young and all, will grow out of it, but will he work in the playoffs for us?

The way he played that 2 on 1 was pretty bad. Take away the pass, or at least try to take it away.

flannelman 03-28-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr (Post 62589169)

Would you like some more shloppy joes?

Although we're one of the 'better' defensive teams in the league, sometimes the guys are leaving it up to the goaltender too much. That game should have been a win, but when you're that sloppy with breakouts, defensive gaffes, etc., - you deserve to lose.

I like that they played with a bit more gumption tonight, but they still haven't found their game.

Ference the Finger 03-28-2013 06:03 AM

Rask has had some less than good games in the past 6 weeks, and let in some softies I'm sure h'd like to have back. but last night, neither of those things happened. I thought he looked confident, and his footwork was really good. Anyone pinning the loss on Rask is looking for an easy scapegoat.

cat400 03-28-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsPortugal (Post 62605509)
As soon as that puck went of seids face i knew we're gonna lose. just one of those days.

Not to mention the johnson penalty...no words.

The ghost of 1979 again.

Can't fault Rask as this was one of the old time Habs - Bruins' games where no matter what happened, you just could feel another stinking Hab victory coming.

MarchandNoseBest 03-28-2013 06:05 AM

I thought he had a legit shot on the 1st one, but that's it. As you said, he had just stopped Ryder point blank right before then too so I'm not going to kill him for even the first one either.

I don't get the Rask hate on here, goaltending is the least of our problems right now. I'll start with the forwards, then the defense then sagging well behind is goaltending. Though clearly last night, it was the defense (and just plain bad luck) that was the problem rather than the forwards.

DarrenBanks56 03-28-2013 06:08 AM

i think he couldve had the first one.
probably couldve stopped the 4th and 5th as well.
I think on the 4th and 5th, he came out of position too early.

not saying he played bad. and Not to bring up thomas, but timmy probably stops goals 1, 4 and 5.

WithOutPaperss 03-28-2013 06:55 AM

Two of the goals were pretty much impossible for him to save, like you already said. The other ones were unlucky, I find it hard to bame Rask this game. The D let him down in my opinion, you either block the shot or let it go by. DONT TIP IT CHARA

WBC8 03-28-2013 06:58 AM

Not one of those goals was his fault.

chuckdobbins 03-28-2013 07:00 AM

I don't remember specifics from last night, but it's getting to the point where I'm expecting Rask to fall into his safety net butterfly as soon as the other team wins a faceoff...at center ice. If he's going to rely on a butterfly stance he should at least learn to get his pads out a bit, cuz he's really not taking up much net.

Rask wasn't terrible last night. That's all I will say.

Fenian24 03-28-2013 07:01 AM

Here are the onlly numbers that matter: 1-7-1 last 9 starts vs Canadiens. Not very confident with him facing them in the playoffs

Fenian24 03-28-2013 07:03 AM

What concerns me about Rask is he reminds me more of Chris Osgood every day. Makes great saves, looks solid and then lets in a garbage goal to deflate the team.

I believe the Penguins won the cup last night but if the Bruins even have a chance to get out of the first round they need Rask to be better.

JMiller 03-28-2013 07:10 AM

If we wanted, we could go goal by goal and come up with a reasons for him to not make a save. But looking at the bigger picture there's been far more excuse making for him than there have been big timely saves from him. Hopefully he can put this nightmare month behind him.