HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What Happened? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1387565)

bWo* 03-28-2013 03:36 AM

What Happened?
 
I come in peace, not trying to flame or anything but i was just wondering what happened to the flyers?

WeekendAtBernies 03-28-2013 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bWo (Post 62601883)
I come in peace, not trying to flame or anything but i was just wondering what happened to the flyers?

http://www.whatsupyasieve.com/wp-con...v-universe.png

Ilya happened.


bWo* 03-28-2013 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies (Post 62601915)
http://www.whatsupyasieve.com/wp-con...v-universe.png

Ilya happened.


You sir brought a smile to my face after the Iginla trade

markzab 03-28-2013 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bWo (Post 62601963)
You sir brought a smile to my face after the Iginla trade

You lie. ;)

Karma 03-28-2013 04:40 AM

I think one reason is the team overachieved last season and the expected drop-off from the Richards and Carter trades is happening this season.

StandingCow 03-28-2013 05:01 AM

I think the personnel we have now doesn't match the coaching style of lavi.

bbcelite 03-28-2013 05:27 AM

- horrible offseason (lost two top six wingers)
- Sophomore slumbs B Schenn Couts
- Injuries
- Coaching stlye that doesnt find

Perhabs its only the coach :whatever:

OzFlyers 03-28-2013 05:30 AM

Homer swung and missed on the shiny objects in the off-season and didn't fill holes in the lineup.

Reaper1097 03-28-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 (Post 62603417)
I think one reason is the team overachieved last season and the expected drop-off from the Richards and Carter trades is happening this season.

I agree with this 100%.

Everything goes back to the trades and last seasons performance. There def was gonna be a drop off when you trade 2 established players on a team for 4 young prospects. Growing pains and drastic ups/downs come with young players developing. Everyone was caught off guard when it didnt happen last season and multiple players put up career best numbers.

Unfortunetly, managment thought that they were a lot closer to contending for a cup and tried to add that "missing piece" this offseason in Suter, Weber, and/or Parise. When in reality they were multiple pieces away and missing out on those players coupled with losing a couple solid role players to UFA/trades the flyers are feeling that post trade drop off this season instead of last.

In hindsight this past offseason was disasterous in my opinoin. When Homer swung for the fences and missed, it left gaping holes in the lineup that he was unable to fill....

BrimFullofAsham45 03-28-2013 07:26 AM

I don't really buy the "swing and miss" excuse for focusing too much this years big UFA and RFAs. I don't think that prevented us from improving our team because there really wasn't all that much on the market. So what, we may have gotten a slightly better No. 8 defenseman than Gervais.

It does show, however, and quite strongly at that, the desperation and incompetency of our management.

Razor the Goalie 03-28-2013 07:35 AM

:help:

BrimFullofAsham45 03-28-2013 07:43 AM

To answer the question in more depth: the Flyers are not as good as they appeared last year. They are better than they appear this year, but by how much it is hard to say. Last season this team was riding on waves of emotion, and defeatuijg the Pens in round was our emotional Stanley Cup, and now we've had our long Emotional Stanley Cup hangover.

Basically take every problem the team had last year and magnify it: few 60 minute efforts; late starts; sloppy defense and defensive breakdowns; inconsistent goaltending; suspect PK; horrible second unit PP; lack of discipline... And then subtract most of the good aspects. Our "comeback" magic is no more. The Flyers used to thrive on having three lines of dynamic offense that could quickly pounce if the opposition came into a lull. From the opposition's stand point, we were hard to matchup against because on a given night any line could be a.serious offensive weapon.

Our only offensive weapons this year come on one line, its not hard in this day and age to shut down a one line team. Beyond G and V, there is too much dead weight on the roster. I think Schenn and Couts were screwed up by T.Murray a bit, but it would be shameful to expect them to be large offensive contributors. Likewise, injuries to Hartnell and Read compromised their effectiveness. Simmonds has not been as good as he has been offensively but I appreciate his fight. Briere has been a blackhole. Every other forward has done nothing to help the cause.

The team has lost its spirits, but it wasn't well designed, especially for how Lavi wants to play.

RoDu 03-28-2013 07:56 AM

combination of things

-Homer did nothing in free agency
-vets really showing age; Timonen and Briere
-D personal not really suited to style of team game
-much like in the year we don't speak of, younger players not ready to take on bigger role yet
-Bryz cooled off, possibly over played due to no backup
-Lavi not making adjustments, look at our third periods this season

healthyscratch 03-28-2013 08:16 AM

We suck.

That's all I got.

:dunno:

1865 03-28-2013 08:26 AM

Holmgren didn't get what he wanted, there was no Plan B.

Bad coaching, beyond belief.

Sophomore slumps.

No D.

Bryzgalov hasn't been the problem.

TheDrizzle81 03-28-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1865 (Post 62608537)
Holmgren didn't get what he wanted, there was no Plan B.

Bad coaching, beyond belief.

Sophomore slumps.

No D.

Bryzgalov hasn't been the problem.

Bryz definitely hasn't been THE problem however he still is A problem. It hard to blame him when everyone sucks and he has no backup. Most nights the game is solely on his shoulders.

1865 03-28-2013 09:01 AM

I refuse to blame him too much. He's played almost every game and had multiple good chances in virtually every period. His performances are FAR better than his stats.

whskybarJM 03-28-2013 09:05 AM

the offensive players
the missing players
they system
injuries
the defensive players

.
.
.
.
Bryz.


in that order



I just wish coburn turned into that guy, that is a killer

1865 03-28-2013 09:08 AM

Trade Cobes while people still think he can be.

BernieParent 03-28-2013 09:12 AM

And all of these problems exacerbated by a weirdly shortened season.

moosehead81 03-28-2013 09:22 AM

Flyers tried to establish a new long term plan by scraping their old long term plan. They got rid of 2 highly regarded first round picks from ostensibly, the best draft ever, who took them, with others, all within 5 years, to a conference final (losing to the eventual winner), to within one game of the Stanley Cup and to a conference semi-final (losing to the eventual Stanley Cup winner). They also lost patience with a young goaltender who had flashes of brilliance and received another who also has flashed of brilliance at a much higher price. But they have a new plan which will last at least until summer 2013 when they'll come up with another.

DrinkFightFlyers 03-28-2013 09:32 AM

Meh. It happens. I'm just glad this was only a 48 game season. Haha. Every year it seems there is a team that is supposed to be good but they suck. This year was our turn. Next year I don't think the expectations will be as high so whatever happens then won't be as shocking one way or the other.

SilkyMitts 03-28-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 62611669)
Meh. It happens. I'm just glad this was only a 48 game season. Haha. Every year it seems there is a team that is supposed to be good but they suck. This year was our turn. Next year I don't think the expectations will be as high so whatever happens then won't be as shocking one way or the other.

lol i think we will be much better next year

no way we have two bad seasons back to back

backburner 03-28-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 62611669)
Meh. It happens. I'm just glad this was only a 48 game season. Haha. Every year it seems there is a team that is supposed to be good but they suck. This year was our turn. Next year I don't think the expectations will be as high so whatever happens then won't be as shocking one way or the other.


Who wants a cup during a shortened season anyway, seems like cheating :D

Curufinwe 03-28-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead81 (Post 62611089)
Flyers tried to establish a new long term plan by scraping their old long term plan. They got rid of 2 highly regarded first round picks from ostensibly, the best draft ever, who took them, with others, all within 5 years, to a conference final (losing to the eventual winner), to within one game of the Stanley Cup and to a conference semi-final (losing to the eventual Stanley Cup winner). They also lost patience with a young goaltender who had flashes of brilliance and received another who also has flashed of brilliance at a much higher price. But they have a new plan which will last at least until summer 2013 when they'll come up with another.

I like how you include the Richards & Carter trades as a reason, but leave out the much bigger reason of Pronger's career ending injury.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.