HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Chiarelli's lack of upgrades since the Cup (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1387859)

SlickM32 03-28-2013 12:12 PM

Chiarelli's lack of upgrades since the Cup

Sans the Iginla fiasco, I've had a beef with Chiarelli since the Cup. He has yet to improve this team in any way IMO.

After the Cup, he has lost Recchi, Kaberle, Ryder and had Seguin as their 13th

Replaced them with Pouliot, Corvo and Caron and added Zanon, Rolston and Mottau at the deadline

Then he lost Rolston, Zanon, Corvo and Pouliot and replaced them with Bourque, Hamilton, and Pandolfo.

Point is, this team hasn't added a significant piece on the past 2 years since the Cup. They have had two years of tons of cap space and didn't do squat with it. That's my issue. Now, next year, we have some cap issues and the window for big pieces is gone.

Therick67 03-28-2013 12:17 PM

The Bruins won the cup in 2011, be a good fan and not criticize, apparently it makes you less of a fan.:sarcasm:

WhiteMandingo 03-28-2013 12:19 PM

I love Chiarelli but if you have cap space and your a contender, then use it!

Grasshopperking 03-28-2013 12:20 PM

Forgot Daugavins... I feel your pain :help:

But you could argue, for the most part, the team has played well enough not to warrant a significant upgrade. I mean, last year they played great, stomped this division and just didn't show up in the playoffs.
This year, they've been struggling but are still a top team.
I think Chia operates under the "don't fix what ain't broke" philosophy, but I think this team's play lately has forced him to realize that maybe he needs an upgrade (Iggy) so have some faith, the man went to HARVARD ;)

smithformeragent 03-28-2013 12:21 PM

They've been up against the cap and have to account for next year's raises for Lucic and Seguin as well as a raise for Rask and replacements for Horton and Ference.

DarrenBanks56 03-28-2013 12:30 PM

Raise for lucic????

Therick67 03-28-2013 12:31 PM

Long term deal for Pandolfo?

BudMovin* 03-28-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Therick67 (Post 62622889)

Obviously. He is being groomed to be our future captain.

LSCII 03-28-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithformeragent (Post 62622223)
They've been up against the cap and have to account for next year's raises for Lucic and Seguin as well as a raise for Rask and replacements for Horton and Ference.

They've left a ton of money on the table over last year and now this season again (so far). Hard to give them a pass because they have to pay players on future deals. The real issue they've got to worry about money is because they've overpaid some of those guys you mention above and the likes of Peverley, Kelly, Boychuck, and Campbell.

LSCII 03-28-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Therick67 (Post 62622889)

Full NMC too. Gotta sweeten the deal to make sure he signs on with them...:laugh:

theswede2013 03-28-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickM32 (Post 62621573)
Sans the Iginla fiasco, I've had a beef with Chiarelli since the Cup. He has yet to improve this team in any way IMO.

Replaced them with Pouliot, Corvo and Caron and added Zanon, Rolston and Mottau at the deadline

Then he lost Rolston, Zanon, Corvo and Pouliot and replaced them with Bourque, Hamilton, and Pandolfo.

Point is, this team hasn't added a significant piece on the past 2 years since the Cup. They have had two years of tons of cap space and didn't do squat with it. That's my issue. Now, next year, we have some cap issues and the window for big pieces is gone.

What are you talking about Recchi retired, Claude is the coach who puts Seguin on the bench as a rookie. Ryder is debatible I would have signed him. But I can not blame Chi for letting one guy walk. the other moves were fill ins to add some depth to the roster without tapping a to many P bruins. wake up

JMiller 03-28-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Therick67 (Post 62621871)
The Bruins won the cup in 2011, be a good fan and not criticize, apparently it makes you less of a fan.:sarcasm:

Traditionally teams dont "upgrade" after winning a Cup.

Kaoz* 03-28-2013 12:43 PM

Holey crap give the man at least until the trade deadline before you get on him. I'm pretty critical but c'mon... he missed out on Iginla because and only because Iginla wanted to go elsewhere. Chiarelli had a deal on the table that had Iginla coming here, and it would have be an absolute coups.

I'm not sure what upgrades people wanted him to make. In hindsight did you want him to:
- Keep Ryder?
- Keep Kaberle?
- Trade Krejci to land Nash?
- Trade a top prospect for B. Morrow?
- Get Iginla?

No one wanted to see him keep Ryder or Kaberle at the time, and most balk at the idea of giving up anything of significant value (especially if it was a piece from the cup run) in a deal for a high end guy who isn't lighting the world on fire at the time of their moving (Kovalchuk and Nash come to mind).

He still has plenty of time to improve this roster and by the looks of it has been very very involved in trade talks about key guys... not depth or redundant pieces. Don't forget that at the time of the Recchi and Kaberle acquisitions people weren't exactly jumping for joy either. Most thought he gave up too much or got useless/redundant pieces.

hemispheres 03-28-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

The way I remember it the Bruins didn't want any of these guys, so i dont consider it loseing them. They totaly misjudged Ryder and Pouliot and Recchi did his job. Hamilton is going to be good.

Morris Wanchuk 03-28-2013 12:45 PM

Given Ryders replacements of Pouliot, Bourque, Caron, etc. I sure as hell would have wanted them to keep Ryder for 3.5mil.

JMiller 03-28-2013 12:52 PM

I get the frustration, but making moves for the sake of making them isn't a recipie for success. When you have a young team you hold on to them and hope they develop.

Kaberle's role is now taken by Douggie.
Recchi's spot in the lineup is now taken by 2013 Seguin.
Those are both huge upgrades.

The third line is a mess, but generally no different from what it was when they won the Cup (that version of Ryder was two years removed from a 20 goal season).

bruins seguin 19* 03-28-2013 12:57 PM

jussi was free

should have taken jussi jokinen off waivers he was free and the third line was set with jussi pevs and kelly.

Afam* 03-28-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Good Thread. You better check if you never criticize the team you are not a real fan card coming near you. You are not alone. Some of us posters have had the same issue with Chia. Other than lucking out and playing Burke like a fool, what has he done tooi improve this team. Nada. Even kabs that I wanted him to get almost turned into a disaster. Bourque. Pandamimalwful. Zannon, lmao zannon. Rolston, Hindy etc. He gets a free ride because he Lucic and co and won a cup. We won the stanley cup in 2011. That is over and done with.

hemispheres 03-28-2013 01:00 PM

Even though Pouliot was not getting a lot of points I still believe he helped stabalize the 3rd line. His speed and creativity forced other teams to pay attention, in return helping take a little bit of attention away from the first two lines.

smithformeragent 03-28-2013 01:04 PM

Took a joke, post lockout club to a playoff team in year two. Came within a point of the president's trophy in year three. Won a round in year three and four. Cup in year five. Firts round exit in year six.

Lucked into Tim Thomas-but was criticized for extending him for $5M a year
Was criticized for lack of high end talent, but his depth mentality resulted in a cup win.

It's easy to build a team in the Penguins model when you suck for years and end up with top picks in consecutive years.

Bruinsfan_37 03-28-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk (Post 62624003)
Given Ryders replacements of Pouliot, Bourque, Caron, etc. I sure as hell would have wanted them to keep Ryder for 3.5mil.

agreed, I was hesitant at first but seeing what we have done since the Cup we were better off keeping him around and extending him. Now he lights us up with the Habs:shakehead

SlickM32 03-28-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaoz (Post 62623867)
Holey crap give the man at least until the trade deadline before you get on him. I'm pretty critical but c'mon... he missed out on Iginla because and only because Iginla wanted to go elsewhere. Chiarelli had a deal on the table that had Iginla coming here, and it would have be an absolute coups.

I'm not sure what upgrades people wanted him to make. In hindsight did you want him to:
- Keep Ryder?
- Keep Kaberle?
- Trade Krejci to land Nash?
- Trade a top prospect for B. Morrow?
- Get Iginla?

No one wanted to see him keep Ryder or Kaberle at the time, and most balk at the idea of giving up anything of significant value (especially if it was a piece from the cup run) in a deal for a high end guy who isn't lighting the world on fire at the time of their moving (Kovalchuk and Nash come to mind).

He still has plenty of time to improve this roster and by the looks of it has been very very involved in trade talks about key guys... not depth or redundant pieces. Don't forget that at the time of the Recchi and Kaberle acquisitions people weren't exactly jumping for joy either. Most thought he gave up too much or got useless/redundant pieces.

Part of the reason why we didn't want these guys was because we thought we'd reallocate the Ryder/Kabs money into a useful player, not some pile of crap. Sure, Pouliot was fine, but I saw him as a 13th forward.

The reason this team was so good in 2010 was because they had 3 scoring lines. This team has no high end top talent (Seguin maybe) in terms of scaring the crap out of a team scoring wise. This team needs three lines to score to really contend. The third line as been a mess the past two season because Chiarelli went from having Ryder on the third line to Chris Bourque and Jay Pandolfo.

Again this team blows leads because they don't have the firepower to really buckle down and score a big goal consistently. When the 3rd and 4th line is out, there is almost zero chance they score.

Jeff077 03-28-2013 01:09 PM

Alot of anger towards Chia right now and I don't think it is deserved. He made a good offer for Morrow, probably too much ( if it was Koko and a 2nd ) in alot of peoples eyes and then from all accounts had the best deal on the table for Iginla only to lose out because he wanted to go to Pittsburgh. It is not like he is sitting on his hands and not involved.
Not sure how he can take the blame for that.
I would agree he was not overly proactive to fill holes last year, but he is the architect of this team that won a cup not long ago and should be in the mix again this year. Do they need some help? Absolutely, but this organization is far better off now and going forward than they have been in a very long time and I for one applaud the job that he has done.
I hope he can make a deal and improve the team but at the same time if it is not the right deal I have belief he will not mortgage the future and over pay on something just to make a deal.

blurbruin 03-28-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithformeragent (Post 62625493)
Took a joke, post lockout club to a playoff team in year two. Came within a point of the president's trophy in year three. Won a round in year three and four. Cup in year five. Firts round exit in year six.

Lucked into Tim Thomas-but was criticized for extending him for $5M a year
Was criticized for lack of high end talent, but his depth mentality resulted in a cup win.

It's easy to build a team in the Penguins model when you suck for years and end up with top picks in consecutive years.

Exactly. I always love when people talk about the Pens being awesome... it's easy to be awesome when you're rewarded for having a crappy 5 years! I feel like Chia can't win... people criticize him for not trading for vets (of course without giving anyone significant up), not going with young players, and trading for the vets he did.

416Leafer 03-28-2013 01:11 PM

Chiarelli is a patient GM. He was willing to trade both Raycroft and Kessel for futures, and both of those deals have shown to be great moves.

He traded a large chunk of Boston's futures in order to win that Cup. I don't remember exactly what was involved in every trade, but trades were made to acquire Kaberle (1st, Colborne, 2nd), Kelly (2nd rounder), Seidenberg (???), Rechhi (???), etc.

You simply can't make those kinds of trades every year. And anyways, since the Cup win, Seguin has filled a role in the top 6, and been one of your best forwards. That's a pretty solid addition that came internally. Hamiltons a rookie, but give him time, within 1-2 years, he could start becoming a legitimate top pairing guy.

Chiarelli will likely make a move before this deadline, but last season (the ONE season since they've won the Cup), they were still among the favourites, there wasn't much of a reason to make big trades.