HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What would be better? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1388227)

Jtown 03-28-2013 05:22 PM

What would be better?

1. Making the playoffs as an 8th seed , and doing what we did to the penguins last year?

2. Continue our losing and finish with top 5 pick

duffy9748 03-28-2013 05:32 PM

We could be guaranteed Jones, Mackinnon, and Drouin and I would still pass that up to watch the Penguins have an even bigger meltdown than last year.

orange is better 03-28-2013 05:41 PM

So were going to sacrifice the future of the team and the chance to add a prime time player to help us progress just to pointlessly end the hopes of another team? Yeah that'll fix everything.

YuioIklo 03-28-2013 05:43 PM

Beating the Pens, rofl, what kind of question is that. They are going all in, if we'd be assured to beat them it'd be epic. Also, it would be a free pass to round 2.

YuioIklo 03-28-2013 05:46 PM

I understand the logic behind "we're not making the Playoffs, so we'd better lose to get a top pick". But if you have the choice between tanking or getting into the playoffs...

LegionOfDoom91 03-28-2013 05:47 PM

I'm counting on Fleury to troll himself this playoffs.

zarley zelepukin 03-28-2013 06:00 PM

I think getting into the playoffs and winning a round would be good development for the young guys we already have on the team, so I went with that.

TheLegendkiller 03-28-2013 06:18 PM

This actually a tough one. If we fired Lavy and went on this run, I'd be all for it. But if we did that with Lavy, next season we still wont be able to beat the Rangers, Bruins, Devils, and Lightning. And that list will continue to grow. The Maple Leafs, Canadiens, and Senators would definitely be on it by 2014. And I like Lavy too.

But trolling the Pens when they're "all in" like this would be epic. Like too epic. :laugh:

sg12lw 03-28-2013 06:32 PM

well i root for my team to win, bc i am a fan and thats what fans do

i still believe we will make the playoffs, so thats what i am rooting for

i dont care if its the last game of the season and we've already been eliminated from the playoffs and a loss gives us solo last place, im rooting for the flyers to win. period

anyone who "roots" for us to lose can go you-know-what themselves as far as im concerned....the players that play on the team will tell you the same thing. as herm said, "hello, you play. to win. the game"

whats the point in hoping your team loses? (dont try and convince me either bc it will never make sense in my head how i could call myself a "fan" while hoping my team loses...this is just a rant bc i am so sick of hearing people say they hope we tank..**** the first overall pick. sneak in the playoffs and go on a run:yo:)

CanadianFlyer88 03-28-2013 06:34 PM

I'd always take the playoffs option... and it has nothing to do with who the Flyers would face in the playoffs.

orangecrush8 03-28-2013 06:38 PM

Playoffs and beat the Pens

Last year was a ton of fun. Definitely would want to relive that again

Jtown 03-28-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sg12lw (Post 62650237)
well i root for my team to win, bc i am a fan and thats what fans do

i still believe we will make the playoffs, so thats what i am rooting for

i dont care if its the last game of the season and we've already been eliminated from the playoffs and a loss gives us solo last place, im rooting for the flyers to win. period

anyone who "roots" for us to lose can go you-know-what themselves as far as im concerned....the players that play on the team will tell you the same thing. as herm said, "hello, you play. to win. the game"

whats the point in hoping your team loses? (dont try and convince me either bc it will never make sense in my head how i could call myself a "fan" while hoping my team loses...this is just a rant bc i am so sick of hearing people say they hope we tank..**** the first overall pick. sneak in the playoffs and go on a run:yo:)

Tell that to the http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/phi/1968.htm

RoDu 03-28-2013 06:47 PM

better draft position benefits us more in the long run

FlyersFan61290 03-28-2013 07:08 PM

future or beating the pens...future all the way. that way we can beat the pens consistently and when it matters most! The way things are going there is a very good chance the flyers are a top 5 pick. i wouldn't trade that for another 2nd round playoff exit, this team doesn't have a legit shot so what's the point?

GKJ 03-28-2013 07:36 PM

Look where doing that last year got us this year.

DrHamburg 03-28-2013 07:50 PM

Is this serious? People would rather tank? If you said Flyers will get past the first round and a chance at the cup...and people are saying no????

ShawnTHW 03-28-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffy9748 (Post 62646607)
We could be guaranteed Jones, Mackinnon, and Drouin and I would still pass that up to watch the Penguins have an even bigger meltdown than last year.

And that's why you aren't the GM.

Mr Black 03-28-2013 08:01 PM

Knock off the Pens again would be my choice. You don't need a top five pick to build a great team for the future, this isn't the nba.

RoDu 03-28-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHamburg (Post 62656523)
Is this serious? People would rather tank? If you said Flyers will get past the first round and a chance at the cup...and people are saying no????

we're tanking whether we want to or not

zarley zelepukin 03-28-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRxBLACK (Post 62657487)
Knock off the Pens again would be my choice. You don't need a top five pick to build a great team for the future, this isn't the nba.

This.

GKJ 03-28-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

On the contrary. I'll be accused of "wanting to tank", which is okay since I don't pay for every game to hope they lose, but this here is pure fact:

Penguins - we know
Red Wings - long-standing excellence once begun with top 5 picks (Yzerman, Primeau -> Shanahan)
LA Kings - Doughty, Schenn --> Richards, Hickey too, but they didn't even need him
Blackhawks - Toews, Kane
Ducks - Lupul and Smid were top 10 picks that landed them Pronger.
Hurricanes - Ladd was a depth player, but Eric Staal had 100 points
Lightning - Lecavalier was in his prime, and the team was insanely healthy, while we were not.

While not the be-all end-all, since the Islanders, Blue Jackets, Oilers, or even the Flyers are not listed here, recent history of Cup champs (and you can keep going back through the Niedermayer years of the Devils and Avalanche) seems to suggest that winning the Cup starts with being in the lottery. Of course, you have to not have inept management afterward. If that's the contention, then you better be like the Bruins and know how to use your farm system and get the draft right. In fact, given how the NBA operates, it actually works better in the NHL.

orange is better 03-28-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Wrong. Look at the cup winners since 2000. With the way the league is going, elite players are staying with the teams that draft them and you ARE NOT going to get a franchise defenseman to build around unless you draft one.

I don't give a **** who has mightyidea of what a "fan" is. "We have to rack up meaningless wins! Lets make the playoffs and witness more of the same ******** that this team has shown us over the last 40 years!"

How far has that gotten us?

I want this team to get a top 5 pick because I want to see them progress and win in the future. THIS TEAM IS GOING NOWHERE AS IS. We seem to think a team of young centers and not much else is going to magically develop into a cup contender.

Don't tell me you're a "real fan" because you'd rather get into the playoffs and lose over and over than get a high draft pick. That's ridiculous.

TheDrizzle81 03-28-2013 08:44 PM

i enjoy winning dont care how to win, i just wanna win.

YuioIklo 03-28-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 62661129)
On the contrary. I'll be accused of "wanting to tank", which is okay since I don't pay for every game to hope they lose, but this here is pure fact:

Penguins - we know
Red Wings - long-standing excellence once begun with top 5 picks (Yzerman, Primeau -> Shanahan)
LA Kings - Doughty, Schenn --> Richards, Hickey too, but they didn't even need him
Blackhawks - Toews, Kane
Ducks - Lupul and Smid were top 10 picks that landed them Pronger.
Hurricanes - Ladd was a depth player, but Eric Staal had 100 points
Lightning - Lecavalier was in his prime, and the team was insanely healthy, while we were not.

While not the be-all end-all, since the Islanders, Blue Jackets, Oilers, or even the Flyers are not listed here, recent history of Cup champs (and you can keep going back through the Niedermayer years of the Devils and Avalanche) seems to suggest that winning the Cup starts with being in the lottery. Of course, you have to not have inept management afterward. If that's the contention, then you better be like the Bruins and know how to use your farm system and get the draft right. In fact, given how the NBA operates, it actually works better in the NHL.

We already have a lot of great young players in the team. Sure, I'd take another one, but it's not the issue right now.

orange is better 03-28-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YuioIklo (Post 62663165)
We already have a lot of great young players in the team. Sure, I'd take another one, but it's not the issue right now.

Yeah all those young players.

Centers: Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Laughton
Wingers: Simmonds, Voracek

Defensemen: Schenn

Recipe for a cup right there.