HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Top 50: Vladimir Tarasenko heads HF's ranking of the top NHL prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1388953)

HF Article 03-29-2013 12:35 PM

Top 50: Vladimir Tarasenko heads HF's ranking of the top NHL prospects
 

While picking the top NHL prospect is never an easy task, it was particularly difficult in the Spring Top 50 rankings as there were several candidates worthy of consideration for top prospect. Many prospects performed at a high level this season, particularly in the NHL, where a truncated regular season has seen over 125 rookies lace up for at least one game.



The staff at Hockey's Future considered several different players, including NHL rookie standouts Alex Galchenyuk (MTL) and Jonathan Huberdeau (FLA), but it was St. Louis Blues forward Vladimir Tarasenko and his ability to single-handedly take over a game that ultimately won out.… read more



More...

Jtabo 03-29-2013 01:36 PM

Personally I feel like Yak shouldnt have dropped from 1 to 5. Yes, Tarasenko has out performed Yak so far this year in the NHL, but that doesn't make him a better prospect. Kunitz is second in scoring, we don't go calling him the second best player in the world.

Jabba11 03-29-2013 01:39 PM

Galchenyuk 2nd best prospect? I like!!!

Trafalgar Law 03-29-2013 01:40 PM

What has Nail Yakupov done to drop 4 spots?

HarrisonFord 03-29-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnoctophas (Post 62714587)
What has Nail Yakupov done to drop 4 spots?

What has he done to validate being a higher ranking than those in front of him?

Bluesman91 03-29-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtabo (Post 62714317)
Personally I feel like Yak shouldnt have dropped from 1 to 5. Yes, Tarasenko has out performed Yak so far this year in the NHL, but that doesn't make him a better prospect. Kunitz is second in scoring, we don't go calling him the second best player in the world.

What? Where does 2nd in scoring relate anywhere close to going from #1 to #5 prospect? I'm baffled by this post and don't even really know how to respond.

It's easy to say Tarasenko is the best prospect. He may be older than the others but only by 2 years, but the difference is that he's been playing against men since 16 years old. Even with sheltered minutes and missing 10 games due to injury he is still 4th in scoring among rookies.

As his TOI increases and he gets settled in all the way, he will become an even bigger game changer than what he already is.

Kershaw 03-29-2013 01:45 PM

Brodin >> Tarasenko.

He should be first.

gretskidoo 03-29-2013 01:48 PM

So many guys that could become #2Ds in the NHL are above a guy that already is one.

Makes sense.

Trafalgar Law 03-29-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReimerForPM (Post 62714825)
What has he done to validate being a higher ranking than those in front of him?

He's outperformed Galchenyuk offensively this season. Even if you call them "equal" I don't see how it makes him #2 and Yakupov #5.

Marc the Habs Fan 03-29-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnoctophas (Post 62715185)
He's outperformed Galchenyuk offensively this season.

You might want to check the numbers. Virtually identical PPG average and Yakupov plays around 1:20 more per game.

And it's no contest who is the better all-around player.

FrankMTL 03-29-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnoctophas (Post 62715185)
He's outperformed Galchenyuk offensively this season. Even if you call them "equal" I don't see how it makes him #2 and Yakupov #5.

Maybe they feel that Galchenyuk is already much more of a complete player than Yakupov. Galchenyuk is definitely better defensively than I thought he would be in his first year. He never hurts us when he's on the ice and tends to create a couple of good scoring chances each game. Schultz and Yakupov are the worst +/- players on the Oilers at -11 where as Galchenyuk is one of the best on the Habs at +9

Bluesman91 03-29-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnoctophas (Post 62715185)
He's outperformed Galchenyuk offensively this season. Even if you call them "equal" I don't see how it makes him #2 and Yakupov #5.

Do you even watch Galychecnyuk play?

Jabba11 03-29-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankMTL (Post 62715401)
Maybe they feel that Galchenyuk is already much more of a complete player than Yakupov. Galchenyuk is definitely better defensively than I thought he would be in his first year. He never hurts us when he's on the ice and tends to create a couple of good scoring chances each game.

Galchenyk is + 9. 3rd among rookies behind 2 defensemen.

Sloth Slothersons* 03-29-2013 02:00 PM

Uhoh!!!!!!

Trafalgar Law 03-29-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesman91 (Post 62715483)
Do you even watch Galychecnyuk play?

Do you even watch Yakupov play? I've watched both, Galchenyuk's points come from other players attracting attention giving him time and space to make plays. Yakupov gets his points by drawing defenders to himself before dishing away the puck. Galchenyuk is definitely going to be a good player, but he's not so much better than Yakupov that he jumps 3 spots ahead of him (3 spots is a ton when you're considering top 10). Also, before people start making arguments about ice time or linemates, you should realize that Yakupov has been misused by Krueger all year, being played only in the 1st/2nd periods and being lined up with the likes of Eric Belanger, Shawn Horcoff, and Ryan Smyth. Sure he's got to play with Gagner and Hemsky for a while, but those two don't seem to trust Yakupov and would rather play give and go than utilize his one timer.

HarrisonFord 03-29-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnoctophas (Post 62715185)
He's outperformed Galchenyuk offensively this season. Even if you call them "equal" I don't see how it makes him #2 and Yakupov #5.

Gally is a much more complete player. And center > winger

416Leafer 03-29-2013 02:08 PM

Personally, I think Hamilton and Galchenyuk have the highest ceilings.

If I rank the top NHLers in the world, and go down a list of who I would choose to start a franchise with, its a pretty long list until I come to a winger. Im rarely rarely going to be convinced that the best prospect in the world is a winger, since im sure there are a few franchise D and centres on this list. The above mentioned being the highest ceiling ones.

Bluesman91 03-29-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnoctophas (Post 62715829)
Do you even watch Yakupov play? I've watched both, Galchenyuk's points come from other players attracting attention giving him time and space to make plays. Yakupov gets his points by drawing defenders to himself before dishing away the puck. Galchenyuk is definitely going to be a good player, but he's not so much better than Yakupov that he jumps 3 spots ahead of him (3 spots is a ton when you're considering top 10). Also, before people start making arguments about ice time or linemates, you should realize that Yakupov has been misused by Krueger all year, being played only in the 1st/2nd periods and being lined up with the likes of Eric Belanger, Shawn Horcoff, and Ryan Smyth. Sure he's got to play with Gagner and Hemsky for a while, but those two don't seem to trust Yakupov and would rather play give and go than utilize his one timer.

Yes I do watch Yakupov play. Yakupov right now just looks like a typical rookie. He looks small and still isn't playing an NHL game right now. Galychenyuk is not a defensive liability and actually plays a good 2-way game while still being able to be as good, if not better, offensively as Yakupov regardless of teammates.

I'm not looking for points, I'm looking at their gameplay. It's not that Yakupov has been bad, he just doesn't look as adjusted to the NHL as Galychenyuk has. The kids in Montreal (Galyechnyuk, Gallagher, and Eller) are a huge reason why Montreal went from bottom feeders to one of the top in the East, along with the stellar play of Subban this year and Markov back in the line-up.

AwesomePanthers 03-29-2013 02:10 PM

Galchenyuk over Huberdeau? lol what..

7even 03-29-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers (Post 62716335)
Galchenyuk over Huberdeau? lol what..

Relax it's one spot lol.

SirPaste 03-29-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kershaw (Post 62714899)
Brodin >> Tarasenko.

He should be first.

Brodin is great but come on now

Mike Liut 03-29-2013 03:04 PM

Tarasenko is dynamic. He is just a natural goal scorer.

Lehner 03-29-2013 03:11 PM

Zibanejad should be switched with Lehner.

Also I like how Galchenyuk is above Yak, Galy is going to be better imo.

lamp9post 03-29-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnoctophas (Post 62715829)
Do you even watch Yakupov play? I've watched both, Galchenyuk's points come from other players attracting attention giving him time and space to make plays. Yakupov gets his points by drawing defenders to himself before dishing away the puck. Galchenyuk is definitely going to be a good player, but he's not so much better than Yakupov that he jumps 3 spots ahead of him (3 spots is a ton when you're considering top 10). Also, before people start making arguments about ice time or linemates, you should realize that Yakupov has been misused by Krueger all year, being played only in the 1st/2nd periods and being lined up with the likes of Eric Belanger, Shawn Horcoff, and Ryan Smyth. Sure he's got to play with Gagner and Hemsky for a while, but those two don't seem to trust Yakupov and would rather play give and go than utilize his one timer.

The bolded statements are absolutely false. I do question how much you've seen Galchenyuk play if your assertion is that he's got linemates that create space for him (he's played on the 3rd line all season) and Yakupov doesn't.

Secondly, we all know these rankings mean nothing. 3 spots in the top 10 is not more important than 3 spots anywhere else in the list. It is fun to argue though.

Rick16 03-29-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnoctophas (Post 62715829)
Do you even watch Yakupov play? I've watched both, Galchenyuk's points come from other players attracting attention giving him time and space to make plays. Yakupov gets his points by drawing defenders to himself before dishing away the puck. Galchenyuk is definitely going to be a good player, but he's not so much better than Yakupov that he jumps 3 spots ahead of him (3 spots is a ton when you're considering top 10). Also, before people start making arguments about ice time or linemates, you should realize that Yakupov has been misused by Krueger all year, being played only in the 1st/2nd periods and being lined up with the likes of Eric Belanger, Shawn Horcoff, and Ryan Smyth. Sure he's got to play with Gagner and Hemsky for a while, but those two don't seem to trust Yakupov and would rather play give and go than utilize his one timer.

Says what???? I guess Colby Armstrong and Brandon Prust are offensive threat :dunno:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.