HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Zach Redmond - [UPDATE: April 17, 2013] Conditioning in St. John's (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1389449)

jetkarma* 03-29-2013 08:48 PM

Zach Redmond - [UPDATE: April 17, 2013] Conditioning in St. John's

Just heard on a replay on 1290 something about Zach Redmond being able to skate with the club very soon.

Nothing implied that he was close to even contemplating playing soon , but that is good news overall , plus it has to be a positive for playing , at least hopefully next season.

Sure it will be a positive for his team mates too.

CorgisPer60 03-29-2013 08:50 PM

So soon? What about the nerve/muscle damage?

allan5oh 03-29-2013 08:54 PM

I think that was a misunderstanding. He's going to talk to media and visit team mates. I imagine also visit the trainers too. We will see next week.

Stej 03-29-2013 08:54 PM

Did they actually say he'd be able to skate with the club? I thought they just said that he would be in Winnipeg to "join the team" which could mean that he's working with the trainers to rehab.

Either way, it's good news. I hope for nothing but the best for him!

King Woodballs 03-29-2013 08:55 PM

I read a tweet (either RR or IC) that he could be ready early April

DancesWithWookies 03-29-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Woodballs (Post 62741001)
I read a tweet (either RR or IC) that he could be ready early April

:laugh:

King Woodballs 03-29-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatSaveJesus (Post 62741167)
:laugh:

I dont understand why you are laughing

Diatidialga 03-29-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Woodballs (Post 62742135)
I dont understand why you are laughing

Happy laugh?

jetkarma* 03-29-2013 09:15 PM

Just caught the last part but I thought I heard he would be able to skate with them. Now that might mean he skates very very gingerly , but if true that is good news imo.

DancesWithWookies 03-29-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diatidialga (Post 62742289)
Happy laugh?

Obviously :yo:

KingBogo 03-29-2013 09:53 PM

Nice to hear. All the power to him. Just being back around his teammates has to be a boost to him and the team.

Reed Solomon 03-29-2013 11:17 PM

If he's actually good enough to play in April I will be amazed. What is he wolverine?

truck 03-29-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reed Solomon (Post 62751535)
If he's actually good enough to play in April I will be amazed. What is he wolverine?

My impression was that he was just coming by for a visit. Wouldn't be surprised if he was still on crutches. I didn't get the impression that he was walking properly, let alone anywhere near skating.

allan5oh 03-30-2013 12:03 AM

That's what I'm thinking as well. Theo Fleury had a skate injury on his arm and it took over a year before he could play again. Severed his brachial artery, and it sounds like Redmonds injury was much more serious, at least at the time. Fleury also had several nerves severed. We'll probably know much more after the visit.

garret9 03-30-2013 12:17 AM

IMO any news like this is good news for this guy. Even if he's not really skating, just any signs of recovery big or small are great to hear.

allan5oh 03-30-2013 12:24 AM

Usually very serious injuries like this the team trainers and associated medical staff want to take a look themselves to determine anything. They cannot determine ETA of the injury without looking at it themselves. Just like Ivan Telegin coming over from Russia so our medical staff could see his hand.

Given the fact it took Redmond several days before he went home, this injury is probably very serious. I'm going to guess he will miss all of next year.

scelaton 03-30-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 62753259)
That's what I'm thinking as well. Theo Fleury had a skate injury on his arm and it took over a year before he could play again. Severed his brachial artery, and it sounds like Redmonds injury was much more serious, at least at the time. Fleury also had several nerves severed. We'll probably know much more after the visit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 62754001)
Usually very serious injuries like this the team trainers and associated medical staff want to take a look themselves to determine anything. They cannot determine ETA of the injury without looking at it themselves. Just like Ivan Telegin coming over from Russia so our medical staff could see his hand.

Given the fact it took Redmond several days before he went home, this injury is probably very serious. I'm going to guess he will miss all of next year.

Nerve injuries can take many months to heal and sometimes never do. Zach's injury caused major blood loss, lacerations to blood vessels and surrounding muscle, but no nerve damage, AFAIK.
I am hopeful he will be at training camp in the fall.

allan5oh 03-30-2013 12:48 AM

Where did you hear there was no nerve damage? I'm hoping there isn't. From the reports it wasn't just the femoral cut either, there was multiple other arteries/veins cut.

scelaton 03-30-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 62754743)
Where did you hear there was no nerve damage? I'm hoping there isn't. From the reports it wasn't just the femoral cut either, there was multiple other arteries/veins cut.

Just my best guess, based on the media reports that the injury was to the femoral artery and vein. The brachial artery (Fleury's injury) is much closer to a major nerve than the femoral vessels above the knee.

sipowicz 03-30-2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truck (Post 62752929)
My impression was that he was just coming by for a visit. Wouldn't be surprised if he was still on crutches. I didn't get the impression that he was walking properly, let alone anywhere near skating.

Sounds about right, he had major surgery, doubtful he will even skate for six months.

DominikPavelec 03-30-2013 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truck (Post 62752929)

I find it hard to walk after an intense game or workout, never mind having my muscles and artery severed. The dude has to be on crutches.

IceCapsFanNL 03-30-2013 06:11 AM

Brian Rogers did an interview with a fellow Kitzinger (sp??). He played on the same college team as Redmond. In the interview two things were stated.

1. Redmond is coming to the rock in April to be around the boys.
2. He is walking up and down stairs.

YWGinYYZ 03-30-2013 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL (Post 62758595)
Brian Rogers did an interview with a fellow Kitzinger (sp??). He played on the same college team as Redmond. In the interview two things were stated.

1. Redmond is coming to the rock in April to be around the boys.
2. He is walking up and down stairs.

Given the severity of the injury, its a great sign that he's as mobile as he is. :handclap:

allan5oh 03-30-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scelaton (Post 62755427)
Just my best guess, based on the media reports that the injury was to the femoral artery and vein. The brachial artery (Fleury's injury) is much closer to a major nerve than the femoral vessels above the knee.

Sounds like a bit of an educated guess to me. Even without nerve damage I see a long recovery.

iceguy 03-30-2013 10:38 AM

In one report they stated popliteal vein and artery, which is right behind your knee, slightly superior as they transition through the hamstring muscles. It's quite possible to avoid severing the sciatic nerve, and if the vascular surgery went well, recovery could progress positively. Certainly hope the best for him.