HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Why is Legwand not a letter? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1389653)

Machinehead 03-30-2013 04:15 AM

Why is Legwand not a letter?
 
It's not a huge deal, and I'm not complaining. More so just pondering. Here's a guy that's been with the franchise since it's inception. I know he's not Wayne Gretzky to say the least, but for a veteran guy who's been a lifetime Predator I thought he'd be an obvious choice for an A.

As long as I've been watching the team, he's never had one except for here and there when somebody is injured.

But I'm pretty new, and I was just wondering if a more experienced fan could lend some insight as to what it is about Legwand that he's never really been part of the leadership, at least not on his jersey anyway.

sparkle twin 03-30-2013 04:48 AM

From what I've heard, he just doesn't want a letter. He's been offered one. I don't know why he doesn't want a letter.

CalleJAMkrok 03-30-2013 12:57 PM

I think its his choice. I think he doesnt like the pressure.

Byrddog 03-30-2013 01:34 PM

He is a letter

I

Invisable

Paranoid Android 03-30-2013 03:51 PM

Legwand never really stuck me as the leader type. He's the kind of guy that goes to work, does his job, then goes home. Nothing more, nothing less.

mollymcdeath 03-30-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoid Android (Post 62784623)
Legwand never really stuck me as the leader type. He's the kind of guy that goes to work, does his job, then goes home. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah, it's just not his bag. He doesn't like to do many interviews either. He's a publicly quiet guy, talks a lot on the bench to a few guys and coaches but that's about the extent of it.

Legionnaire11 03-30-2013 08:17 PM

I can't find any links at the moment, but Trotz has definitely said in the past that Legwand has turned down a letter on multiple occasions.

Nitrous Mafia 03-30-2013 10:28 PM

yes, hes turned it down.

TMI 03-30-2013 10:31 PM

Legwand seems to be more of a behind-the-scenes kind of guy. I'm not surprised that he isn't fond of the idea of wearing a letter on his sweater.

dulzhok 03-31-2013 04:42 PM

He's not a very good player, not a very good leader, and his lackadaisical attitude is evident on the ice and off the ice. Those are the main reasons.

He's one of the only player's Poile has called out for his lack of effort.

I've never heard such a thing he turned down an letter (other than on this board). I do know he wasn't even in consideration when Sullivan's A became available (Fisher, Erat were).

Maybe he doesn't want an A (not surprising with his attitude), but he shouldn't have one anyway. Last time we saw consistent effort from Legwand was in his contract year. Been a perimeter player ever since (a sucky one at that).

He maybe part of the reason for our mediocre success but he's also a big reason our success is mediocre.

HA!

RomanEmpire 03-31-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 62866793)
He's not a very good player, not a very good leader, and his lackadaisical attitude is evident on the ice and off the ice. Those are the main reasons.

He's one of the only player's Poile has called out for his lack of effort.

I've never heard such a thing he turned down an letter (other than on this board). I do know he wasn't even in consideration when Sullivan's A became available (Fisher, Erat were).

Maybe he doesn't want an A (not surprising with his attitude), but he shouldn't have one anyway. Last time we saw consistent effort from Legwand was in his contract year. Been a perimeter player ever since (a sucky one at that).

He maybe part of the reason for our mediocre success but he's also a big reason our success is mediocre.

HA!




Tell us how you really feel.

mollymcdeath 03-31-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 62866793)
He's not a very good player, not a very good leader, and his lackadaisical attitude is evident on the ice and off the ice. Those are the main reasons.

He's one of the only player's Poile has called out for his lack of effort.

I've never heard such a thing he turned down an letter (other than on this board). I do know he wasn't even in consideration when Sullivan's A became available (Fisher, Erat were).

Maybe he doesn't want an A (not surprising with his attitude), but he shouldn't have one anyway. Last time we saw consistent effort from Legwand was in his contract year. Been a perimeter player ever since (a sucky one at that).

He maybe part of the reason for our mediocre success but he's also a big reason our success is mediocre.

HA!

That's quite a lot of blame for one player. And his stats aren't exactly lacking compared to the rest of the team. He's no a star player, but nobody has been this season. Sounds like you've got a personal problem with the guy, kicked your dog maybe?

glenngineer 03-31-2013 07:41 PM

He was a poor example off the ice when Belak passed. Took a full page out in the paper, arranged the services, consoled his family yet he's a poor example off the ice. Please. You want to criticize him for what he does on the ice, I can handle that, that's your opinion but when you say he's a poor example off of it, you're taking it too far.

Oh yeah, while we're at it, this is the same guy that played on a torn ACL during the playoffs for the team. Yeah, poor example.

The guy comes to work, is a leader without needing a letter and has been one of the few bright spots lately. I'm not sure what games you've been watching but it apparent that he is busting his tail out there. Because he doesn't light it up like you want him to does not mean he doesn't give a crap.

And yes, Legwand did kick his dog, and his cat, and ferret and his fish, etc..........

dulzhok 03-31-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay (Post 62877653)
He was a poor example off the ice when Belak passed. Took a full page out in the paper, arranged the services, consoled his family yet he's a poor example off the ice. Please.

Being sad when someone dies is not an example of NHL leadership. It was a nice gesture.

Legwand's effort comes and goes. Poile even called him out on it (never heard him personally call out a player). He goes through the motions 80% of the time. The only year he really drove the net was his contract year. He stays on the perimeter the vast majority of time.

He exactly the type of person we need to upgrade. Poile's complacency with these types of players is why Suter and Weber wanted out, and why our team is stuck.

101st_fan 03-31-2013 08:41 PM

Wow is all I can say about some of the comments here while remaining in the limits of the TOS.

sighthndlady 03-31-2013 09:34 PM

Gee, I thought we had finally gotten beyond making Leggy the whipping boy for the team. It's obvious whenever he's interviewed that the man is shy. He's gotten better, but as a youngster he looked terrified every time a camera came near. He often acts on the ice as if he has an "A", and you can see him talking with the kids on the bench all the time. Just a behind-the-scenes kind of guy.

Organizing a funeral is a bit more on the leadership end of things than just feeling sad, IMHO.

Viqsi 03-31-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sighthndlady (Post 62887613)
Gee, I thought we had finally gotten beyond making Leggy the whipping boy for the team.

There are three certainties in life - death, taxes, and David Legwand being unfairly hated for being a #2 overall pick who doesn't score like Vinny Lecavalier.

dulzhok 03-31-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 62888937)
There are three certainties in life - death, taxes, and David Legwand being unfairly hated for being a #2 overall pick who doesn't score like Vinny Lecavalier.

And 4) People flipping out at the mention that we need an upgrade over the likes of Legwand, and 5) Soon after that, someone telling the Wade Belak story again.

Leggy is an aging mediocre talent with mediocre effort, and we sorely need an upgrade. Call it hate if you want, I call it wanting improvement.

weeze 04-01-2013 10:35 AM

Leggy's time has come. He needs to go to a new team. I have only been following the Preds since 2002 but have always thought he was very nonchalant in his behavior and attitude on the ice. I don't hate or dislike the guy, I just think it is his time to move on. That's all.

alexmanu 04-01-2013 10:37 AM

I'm pretty sure Legwand has a NTC. I like the guy, I would prefer him to finish his career with the Preds.

deanwormer 04-01-2013 11:33 AM

As someone pointed out a week or so ago, both Leggy and Fish were in top 30 Center scoring last year; this year both in the top 60. Sorry to put facts out in response to the rhetoric and rants - I hate when people call me out for an opinion that's inconsistent with the facts, too.

An aside - only 19 teams had even 1 C in top 30 in scoring last year. Them both being in top 60 this year would seem to be consistent with what most on the board would say - they solid 2Cs. As much as I'd love a dynamic creator in the middle, they aren't the problem.

Viqsi 04-01-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 62895283)
And 4) People flipping out at the mention that we need an upgrade over the likes of Legwand, and 5) Soon after that, someone telling the Wade Belak story again.

Leggy is an aging mediocre talent with mediocre effort, and we sorely need an upgrade. Call it hate if you want, I call it wanting improvement.

On your #4: attempting to justify abruptly dumping someone you hate by pointing out a legit need for more skill and then suggesting that his removal is some kind of prerequisite to same is pretty transparent. The presence of a Legwand at #2C or #3C does not automatically preclude the possibility of getting a legit #1C, despite your fervent hopes.

On your #5: Is it or is it not relevant in the context of the usual vague accusations of his supposedly being a poor leader?

Seriously. All this is is "he was drafted #2 overall and he's not an All-Star, therefore he sucks and needs to go."

dulzhok 04-01-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanwormer (Post 62913219)
As someone pointed out a week or so ago, both Leggy and Fish were in top 30 Center scoring last year; this year both in the top 60. Sorry to put facts out in response to the rhetoric and rants - I hate when people call me out for an opinion that's inconsistent with the facts, too.

Legwand is #60 in scoring for centers. That puts him as the worst 2nd line center in the NHL statistically. That sounds about right.

Quote:

Seriously. All this is is "he was drafted #2 overall and he's not an All-Star, therefore he sucks and needs to go."
Wrong Sigmund. All is comes down to is wanting to win.

triggrman 04-01-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 62917785)
Legwand is #60 in scoring for centers. That puts him as the worst 2nd line center in the NHL statistically. That sounds about right.


Wrong Sigmund. All is comes down to is wanting to win.

So since he was 27th in scoring last season and Fisher was 30th does that mean we had 2 first line centers?

dulzhok 04-01-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 62923991)
So since he was 27th in scoring last season and Fisher was 30th does that mean we had 2 first line centers?

It means we had two lower-end scoring line centers. They also fed off a hot powerplay, of which they were the least integral pieces.

You are also failing to take into account all the centers who didn't play a full schedule who would have easily surpassed Legwand and Fisher had they played a full season: Lecavalier, Koivu, Crosby, Staal, etc.

We had mediocre scoring centers last year, which is about the best we'e ever had and could hope for with these guys.

This year they're at the bottom of the pack. 60th in the league. Likely worst top 2 centers in the league.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.