HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   OT: NBA Kings minority owner drops out of bidding (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1389779)

LadyStanley 03-30-2013 10:36 AM

OT: NBA Kings minority owner drops out of bidding

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/30/530...#mi_rss=Sports

Quote:

Sacramento Kings minority owner John Kehriotis said Friday he has pulled the plug on his effort to put together an investment team to bid for control of the team.

Kehriotis, who owns 12 percent of the team, had said he hoped to assemble financing for a back-up offer to the deal the team's majority partners, the Maloofs, recently signed with a Seattle group. His plan was to keep the team in Sacramento.

"One of my key investors bounced out," he said. "So we are not going forward."

Another group backed by Mayor Kevin Johnson, however, submitted a bid to buy the team last month, and will go to New York with the mayor on Wednesday to make a case to the NBA for being allowed to buy the team and keep it in Sacramento. Representatives from Seattle will also be there to answer league questions about their bid for the team.

Sounds like Wednesday will be a key day.

WJG 03-30-2013 04:00 PM

I haven't followed the Kings story at all, but for what it's worth I hope they stay in Sacramento.

I want Seattle to get a team because of what happened, but I just hope it's not the Kings who seem to have been around forever. For an NHL comparison, it would be like if the Islanders had relocated to Winnipeg instead of the Thrashers. I want Seattle to get a team, just not at the cost of Sacramento losing a team.

That, plus the Kings were once my favorite team in the NBA. I remember the good old days of Bibby, C-Webb, White Chocolate, Peja, Vlade Divac, Christie, etc.

CBCnutcase 03-30-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 62764117)
http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/30/530...#mi_rss=Sports

Sounds like Wednesday will be a key day.

Meaning key for Key Arena?

jumptheshark 03-31-2013 11:06 PM

I find the whole thing amusing. The NBA want the kings to move to seattle

Vamos Rafa 04-01-2013 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumptheshark (Post 62896705)
I find the whole thing amusing. The NBA want the kings to move to seattle

Yeah, they feel like they owe Seattle more than they will Sacto.

Screw You Rick Nash 04-01-2013 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WJG (Post 62789785)
I haven't followed the Kings story at all, but for what it's worth I hope they stay in Sacramento.

I want Seattle to get a team because of what happened, but I just hope it's not the Kings who seem to have been around forever. For an NHL comparison, it would be like if the Islanders had relocated to Winnipeg instead of the Thrashers. I want Seattle to get a team, just not at the cost of Sacramento losing a team.

That, plus the Kings were once my favorite team in the NBA. I remember the good old days of Bibby, C-Webb, White Chocolate, Peja, Vlade Divac, Christie, etc.

Not really.. The Kings went to Sacramento in 1985 and has relocated four times already. While in Sacramento, they have two division titles and never won a championship. They aren't comparable at all to the Islanders.

superdeluxe 04-01-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Not that good of a comparison, considering the Kings had only been in Sacramento since the mid 80's.

superdeluxe 04-01-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBCnutcase (Post 62789979)
Meaning key for Key Arena?

Key for the whole deal, the NBA will get together to discuss the Kings sale issue.

Gentle Ben Kenobi 04-01-2013 11:18 AM

I don't care if they stay or go, but they need to change their name

Nuclear SUV 04-01-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

I want Seattle to get a team because of what happened, but I just hope it's not the Kings who seem to have been around forever.

They have:

Kansas City Kings, Kansas City/Omaha Kings, Cincinnati Royals, Rochester Royals.

Vamos Rafa 04-01-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dingo (Post 62916323)
I don't care if they stay or go, but they need to change their name

Heh, if they do leave Sacto, I wonder if our Kings will change their website to kings.com. Right now, the Sac Kings have the kings.com url (forcing lakings.com), which isn't right IMO considering that the LA Kings have had the Kings moniker for a much longer time.

jumptheshark 04-01-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal (Post 62901439)
Yeah, they feel like they owe Seattle more than they will Sacto.

Some NBA insiders have gone on about how the NBA want to go back to Seattle and that they have a problem with the ENTIRE ownership group of the kings.

It has been awhile since I have been to California--if I recall correctly it is only about 1 1/2hour drive from Sacramento to Oakland where Golden State plays. While LA can support both the Lakers and the Clipper, I think the NBA is looking at the warriors and Kings and think that there might be over saturation in California and when you factor in the ownership--Seattle looks stable and takes a popular team back to Washington state ( yes I know that it is not that long of a drive from Seattle to Portland--but it is a different state)

taking this back to hockey-- I think that the NHL made a mistake in their Southern expansion and should have figured out how to go into both Seattle and Portland--who have a stronger hockey tradition then some of the places they went to