HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Blake Wheeler to Edmonton (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1389901)

ncredible 03-30-2013 01:04 PM

Blake Wheeler to Edmonton

What would it take to get Wheeler in Edmonton.

YES, I understand our issue is defense but we also could use a tweak on the second line.

What does it take?

I was thinking Hemsky ++
You be the judge.

Seanahue 03-30-2013 01:10 PM

Wheeler has shown a new gear this year and is playing very well. He is our only top 6 RW who we cannot lose. If you want him, send one of the big 4.

Peter Petan 03-30-2013 01:10 PM

I'll save you the trouble. He's our only top-9 caliber RW on our team and we need to keep him. This is only possible if its Wheeler+ for Ebs. Which I doubt you'd do.

JetsHomer 03-30-2013 01:12 PM

Ladd - Little - Wheeler have obvious chemistry. Do you really think Winnipeg would want to downgrade their already mediocre top six when they sit in third in the East?

Kulleroinen* 03-30-2013 01:14 PM

If Wheeler was an oiler, he would be worth 2nd pick according to hfboards.

WeridAl 03-30-2013 01:15 PM

Like Wheeler, but would question if he's a top 6 player. Right now the cost would be too high, can see a trade happening in the off season.

JetsHomer 03-30-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeridAl (Post 62775181)
Like Wheeler, but would question if he's a top 6 player. Right now the cost would be too high, can see a trade happening in the off season.

Are you serious? not a top 6 player? He's a first line RW.

IranCondraAffair 03-30-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

LOL, what?

In what world is a top-line RW on a playoff team NOT a top-6 guy? He's the 37th highest scorer in the entire NHL right now. There is literally nothing NOT to like about his game either. He brings a ton to his team besides goals as well.

The only question I have is this: Why would Winnipeg, a playoff team, downgrade their roster?

They don't have a financial reason for doing so. They have no reason to suspect he's not going to be a part of the roster long term. No locker room issues, etc.. They have plenty of depth as well so it's not a situation where they'd consider trading a quarter for two dimes either.

denniscasa 03-30-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

According to you, a 60 pt RW is not a top 6 player. :help:

almostawake 03-30-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncredible (Post 62773995)
What would it take to get Wheeler in Edmonton.

YES, I understand our issue is defense but we also could use a tweak on the second line.

What does it take?

I was thinking Hemsky ++
You be the judge.

Err, no. A guy that is a first liner and second leading scorer on a team close to making the playoffs isn't a player you can acquire to 'tweak' your second line.

In other words, to the Oilers he'd be a nice complementary winger, but to Jets he is one of, if not their best forward, and is absolutely critical to their current and future success.

With such a huge disconnect in how each team values the player there is nothing to be discussed here.

OneMoreAstronaut 03-30-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanahue (Post 62774701)
Wheeler has shown a new gear this year and is playing very well. He is our only top 6 RW who we cannot lose. If you want him, send one of the big 4.

The actual value of Wheeler notwithstanding, it is always so hilarious to see this as the first reply in any Oiler-related trade thread. :laugh:

Metamind 03-30-2013 01:53 PM

Do the oilers really need another RW

oilwings 03-30-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanahue (Post 62774701)

fyi, it's the big5 we have in Edmonton.

Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov and J. Schultz. Soon it will be big 7 with the 1st pick and Klefbom.

Roof Daddy 03-30-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denniscasa (Post 62777967)
According to you, a 60 pt RW is not a top 6 player. :help:

Please folks, pay no mind, he is the most homer minded poster in our fan base. I have yet to see him propose something remotely fair for both parties in any deal involving the Oil.

As for the OP, why would the Jets move him? And why would the Oil look to acquire him when we already have a log jam at RW. Makes zero sense for either team. If anything the Jets would possibly be interested in Hemsky, though I've heard some Jets fans say the team is committed to building up their prospect pool which wasn't very good thanks to some lack lustre managing in the Thrasher days.

smackdaddy 03-30-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut (Post 62778501)
The actual value of Wheeler notwithstanding, it is always so hilarious to see this as the first reply in any Oiler-related trade thread. :laugh:

I think it's a running joke, TBH.

I mean, obviously if we're trading one of our big 4, we're lookin' at Blake freakin' Wheeler first. :rolleyes:

rockinghockey 03-30-2013 02:15 PM

Wheeler is a nice top 6 to have but we do have Eberle and Yak in our top 6 already. I do think that Hemsky would be a nice addition in WNG. What would WNG offer for Hemsky? Your 1st and what. He would look good on your 2nd line with Kane on the LW.

ducky 03-30-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 62780129)
I think it's a running joke, TBH.

I mean, obviously if we're trading one of our big 4, we're lookin' at Blake freakin' Wheeler first. :rolleyes:

The friggin' joke is Oil fans constantly asking for core players on other teams and not expecting to have to give up one of your valuable players.

zeus3007* 03-30-2013 02:18 PM

Winnipeg needs to keep Wheeler, and Edmonton already has 3 top 6 right wingers, so we don't need another. We need defensemen and big bodied centermen.

5RingsAndABeer 03-30-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducky (Post 62781019)
The friggin' joke is Oil fans constantly asking for core players on other teams and not expecting to have to give up one of your valuable players.

The problem is that the Oilers core (Big 4) is worth a lot more than most core players on other teams.

zeus3007* 03-30-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducky (Post 62781019)

In all fairness, I don't think many would consider Blake Wheeler to be one of your core players. He's a good player, but how many core players can a team really have? I would think that Winnipeg management considers Ladd, Kane, Pavlec, Byfuglien, Bogosian and maybe Enstrom as "core" players. Guys like Blake Wheeler, while great players, are guys who can be traded to fill a hole on a team. He's not on the core player level like the Oilers "big 4".

alphahelix 03-30-2013 02:28 PM

This whole core four, big 4 idea is insane and fan-generated anyway. There will be GM's in the league who would value a veteran playmaker like Hemsky right now, there are probably lots of GM's who whould prefer a now-proven center like Gagner who is still young. The "big 4" is a myth and while they all hold value based on draft position, GM's are probably at least as interested in adding a player like Gagner, Smid, Petry, or Schultz. The myth is that the "4" are untouchable and that there is no one else with any value. No GM would feel this way, its just the insane, egotistical fans who think they have a sweet clue what is going on. Would a competing team want to gamble on the Nuge right now?

IranCondraAffair 03-30-2013 02:31 PM

At this rate Edmonton is going to have a 22 man "core" that is too good to trade and they will still finishes outside the playoffs.

zeus3007* 03-30-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphahelix (Post 62782123)
This whole core four, big 4 idea is insane and fan-generated anyway. There will be GM's in the league who would value a veteran playmaker like Hemsky right now, there are probably lots of GM's who whould prefer a now-proven center like Gagner who is still young. The "big 4" is a myth and while they all hold value based on draft position, GM's are probably at least as interested in adding a player like Gagner, Smid, Petry, or Schultz. The myth is that the "4" are untouchable and that there is no one else with any value. No GM would feel this way, its just the insane, egotistical fans who think they have a sweet clue what is going on. Would a competing team want to gamble on the Nuge right now?

I don't think its a myth. And not because nobody else holds value, because teams in today's NHL don't trade core players unless they are shaking up the team, or are forced into a trade. The Oilers aren't shaking up their team and have not been forced into a trade.

HooliganX2 03-30-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeus3007 (Post 62781329)
In all fairness, I don't think many would consider Blake Wheeler to be one of your core players. He's a good player, but how many core players can a team really have? I would think that Winnipeg management considers Ladd, Kane, Pavlec, Byfuglien, Bogosian and maybe Enstrom as "core" players. Guys like Blake Wheeler, while great players, are guys who can be traded to fill a hole on a team. He's not on the core player level like the Oilers "big 4".

The thing is who do the Oilers have that would make any sense at all for them to trade Wheeler for? The Jets are looking like a playoff team so why would they trade an important roster player unless they are getting a better player in return.

alphahelix 03-30-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeus3007 (Post 62782845)
I don't think its a myth. And not because nobody else holds value, because teams in today's NHL don't trade core players unless they are shaking up the team, or are forced into a trade. The Oilers aren't shaking up their team and have not been forced into a trade.

See the recent articles on OilersNation : guys like Strudwick, Gregor, etc seem pretty convinced that this "core" will be re-tooled in the near future. These guys are NOT untouchable (okay, maybe Hall). Obviously they're not going to give them away for magic beans, but if they can alter the composition of the core with a similar quality of player coming back but fulfilling different needs, they will do it.

Although, I would guess that the Oilers have had more than a few calls about their young D-core and guys like Gagner this season.