HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Injury Report: Updates in Post #1: Crosby (jaw) | Martin (hand) 4-6 weeks | Letang (toe) 1 week (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1390091)

End of Line 03-30-2013 06:32 PM

Updates in Post #1: Crosby (jaw) | Martin (hand) 4-6 weeks | Letang (toe) 1 week

LATEST INJURY NEWS (Updated 4/1, newest in bold)

--Per the team, Sidney Crosby will be out indefinitely after having surgery to repair a broken jaw and damage to multiple teeth on 3/30. He was struck in the mouth by a deflected puck against the Islanders.

According to Ray Shero, Crosby's jaw is *not* wired shut, which is what leads to the lengthiest of recovery times from this injury. He'll be able to return to a normal diet much faster as well return to regular workouts and skating faster because his breathing will not be restricted.

Crosby continues to experience no concussion symptoms as of Monday morning. He remains in the hospital for observation and to have a final round of dental work later this week.

Renaud Lavoie of RDS reports Monday evening that Crosby is expected to leave the hospital within 24 hours.

Rob Rossi of the Trib reports that there is early optimism that Crosby should be ready at or before the start of the playoffs at the end of April. There is, however, no official timetable for his return.

The team will release another update later this week. In the meantime, here is a very informative article from the Post-Gazette about the nature of the surgery and why it means Crosby could be back sooner than expected.

--Paul Martin had surgery to repair a broken bone in his left hand on March 31 and will be out four-to-six weeks. He is on injured reserve.

Martin was struck by a shot in a game against Winnipeg on 3/28.

If Martin misses the full six weeks, it will cut into the playoffs, which will likely begin May 1 or May 2 for the Penguins. He would be in danger of missing at least part of the first round if that timetable holds.

Martin is expected to resume skating at some point during the week of April 7.

--Kris Letang suffered a broken toe on 3/26 against Montreal and will miss 7-10 days. He is on injured reserve.

It is believed that he broke it early in the game but finished the game on it. Once he's able to put weight on it without significant pain, he can play without much worry.

Letang was back on his skates on 4/1, working on his own before practice before heading off the ice. Bylsma said he thinks Letang might return to practice on Tuesday but did not say when he might be back in the lineup. The Penguins play Buffalo Tuesday and then the Rangers on Wednesday and Friday.

leafspensfan 03-30-2013 06:35 PM

I don't think his jaw is broken, I thought I saw him spit out teeth, and technically you can't do that if you have a broken jaw, unless of course you have balls of teeth and a high pain tolerance

Jacques G 03-30-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stad
I doubt he even misses a game tbh.

That's what I thought just after it happened. A tooth or two lighter, no big deal. Then I started reading all the speculative end-of-the-word posts and couldn't help but worry. :laugh:

Lesson learned: next injury, leave HF Boards until several hours after the game has ended.

The Angry Pirate 03-30-2013 06:37 PM

Let me just say this. There is a major difference between oral surgery at say Aspen dental or the dentist at the mall and oral surgery in a major hospital. The people saying he'll be back Tuesday just think about that.

bathroomSTAAL 03-30-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral Awesome (Post 62795129)
Let me just say this. There is a major difference between oral surgery at say Aspen dental or the dentist at the mall and oral surgery in a major hospital. The people saying he'll be back Tuesday just think about that.

Yeah I don't think Sid Crosby goes to Aspen Dental at the mall under any circumstance. Just a hunch.

The Angry Pirate 03-30-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL (Post 62795183)
Yeah I don't think Sid Crosby goes to Aspen Dental at the mall under any circumstance. Just a hunch.

I'm sure you get my point.

WhatsaMaatta 03-30-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Doubt the Pens are sending their players Aspen dental for emergency operations regardless.

leafspensfan 03-30-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL (Post 62795183)

I don't think he goes to any dentist at the mall :laugh:

Its Sidney ****ing Crosby, no matter what problem he has, he's going to go to a larger place like the hospital, not a mall or a strip plaza

OnMyOwn 03-30-2013 06:40 PM

If his teeth were knocked out that requires oral surgery. They wouldn't say "crosbys got a dentist appointment" haha.

How he was hit is not typical of a jaw injury. It was right straight in the teeth, and if it ripped them out it would have needed surgery asap.

Jacques G 03-30-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Do the Pens have a sponsorship deal with the hospital that Sid went to?

sf expat71 03-30-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral Awesome (Post 62795213)
I'm sure you get my point.

Aspen Dental can't check for concussions though, or the extent of a broken jaw if it's broken at all. After watching Pat LaFontaine talk about PCS on youtube a while back, I'd want Sid to go to a hospital for anything remotely close to the head. In other words, that he went to a hospital does not signify the extent of an injury one way or another.

The Angry Pirate 03-30-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf expat71 (Post 62795469)
Aspen Dental can't check for concussions though, or the extent of a broken jaw if it's broken at all. After watching Pat LaFontaine talk about PCS on youtube a while back, I'd want Sid to go to a hospital for anything remotely close to the head. In other words, that he went to a hospital does not signify the extent of an injury one way or another.

You're right, I'm saying though he would have been x-ray'd at the arena so they could see the damage to his face/jaw. I'm not speculating about a concussion because I have no idea about that.

HuskerTornado 03-30-2013 06:45 PM

I don't believe any dentist's office has an oral surgeon hanging out in the office on a Saturday afternoon.

Besides, the Pens have a medical staff and that includes an oral surgeon, which is probably who he went to see.

EdwardBlake 03-30-2013 06:46 PM

People need to take a deep breath...

The average recovery time for a broken jaw is 4-6 weeks. And then there is also wiring your jaw... ALA M. Knuble, will always have respect for that man due to being a flat out warrior during a broken jaw...

Will the team let Crosby do that? Will he want to do that? Who knows, but Crosby is a warrior, he doesn't know the words quit or give up. That can be shown from him wanting to come back on the ice in the cup final when his knee was nuked and he still wanted to come out and play... But couldn't. He is a warrior...

If this is a broken jaw, he will demand to be back on the ice as soon as possible. With a cage, wires, etc...

If it isn't a broken jaw, then it is then dental surgery, he will look like and old time hockey player with some missing teeth... And probably sit out a game or two for his dental work to settle in and pain to die down. Then be back out there... Looking quite a bit less pretty... But just as effective, along with some added character.

People around here need to take a huge deep breath and just calm the hell down.

Life is tough... Wear a ****ing cup. Simple as that.

Darth Vitale 03-30-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques G (Post 62795319)
Do the Pens have a sponsorship deal with the hospital that Sid went to?

Not sure if sarcasm but you know the Pens are affiliated with and promote UPMC on a regular basis right?

jigglysquishy 03-30-2013 06:49 PM

FFS people.

ANY hockey injury is hospital material. Guy on my team (nurse) got a puck to the nose on Wednesday, knew it wasn't broken. Our insurance required him to go to the hospital. There is just no chance that Sid would go anywhere besides a hospital if he required medical attention.

Hospital vs. dentist is really no indication of severity when it comes to multi-million dollar athletes playing in a multi-billion dollar league with tens of millions of dollars of insurance kicking around.

Waffle Fries 03-30-2013 06:51 PM

It may be the optimist in me talking, but I think he'll be okay. The puck hit him awfully high for a jaw injury. I'd guess he misses anywhere from 0-3 games, with the April 9th game being the latest for his return.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play Tuesday, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he does. He wants to play so badly that I'm sure he could tolerate a little pain and where a mask.

Beauner 03-30-2013 06:51 PM

Also, Mercy is about a 5 second drive from Consol. Maybe they went to the closest place?

TorstenFrings 03-30-2013 06:56 PM

I should not be finding your fights half as funny as I apparently do. If Bylsma were to say "there is nothing to worry about, Sid is just going to see some dentist at the nearest mall tomorrow", it would just about make my day.

DoktorZaius 03-30-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorstenFrings (Post 62796179)
I should not be finding your fights half as funny as I apparently do. If Bylsma were to say "there is nothing to worry about, Sid is just going to see some dentist at the nearest mall tomorrow", it would just about make my day.

"Sid has also told me he looks forward to the complimentary toothbrush and floss."

Frederick Stanley 03-30-2013 07:00 PM

Must have been pretty cool for the front desk lady:

"What happened?"

"Guy here got a puck in his mouth."

"ok"

"Name?"

"Sidney Crosby"

"Wait, what?"

:laugh:

leafspensfan 03-30-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoktorZaius (Post 62796271)
"Sid has also told me he looks forward to the complimentary toothbrush and floss."

I don't think I should've laughed at that as hard as I did

Jacob 03-30-2013 07:25 PM

I'd probably be inclined to hold him out for a bit just to make sure that any symptoms don't materialize after the fact. Not to mention allowing whatever dental work he needs done to heal. If I knew a star player had mouth surgery, I'm giving him face washes after every single whistle.

SidTheKid8787 03-30-2013 07:33 PM

The one positive, was he bounced right up and skated off. Didn't look woozy, wasn't doubled over shaking the cob webs out.

At worst it's a broken jaw and like Nedved would be out a week or 2, or until one is comfortable enough to play with a shield.

At best, it's a few missing chicklets and a cut. May miss a couple games or none at all.

OnMyOwn 03-30-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob (Post 62798575)
I'd probably be inclined to hold him out for a bit just to make sure that any symptoms don't materialize after the fact. Not to mention allowing whatever dental work he needs done to heal. If I knew a star player had mouth surgery, I'm giving him face washes after every single whistle.

Shield baby, facewash that ***** all you want.