HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Shin pad sizing (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1390437)

damianthesensfan 03-30-2013 10:11 PM

Shin pad sizing

Hey im 5'8 and i bought 15" shin pads and i feel there to big.. The guy working helped me pick them out..

I just wanna know what size people take and whats suggested for me..

Thanks

kr580 03-30-2013 10:32 PM

It's your leg length that matters, not your height necessarily. I'm 5'9" and wear 14" CCM Fit07's.

Put your skates on. You don't have to lace them up, but just use them for sizing reference. Bend your knee and position the knee cup of the shinpad centered over your knee cap. The top of your kneecap shouldn't be peeking out, a puck will find that.

Now with it centered on your kneecap see where the bottom of the shinpad falls on your ankle/skates. There's a bit of personal preference required here. If you tuck your tongues under your shins or not will make you want to go longer/shorter. I forget which is which, so try on the shinpads in the manner you prefer, tucked or untucked.

With your skates on it should cover your ankle bones sufficiently (no gaps) but shouldn't be so long that it's digging into your skates and hindering foot/ankle movement. See how your current shinpads look and feel and then you can see where you need to go from there.

If you do go back to the shop, bring your skates with you so can properly fit them. Also, don't forget to get a shinpad that fits well all around, not just length. I have some bigger calves for my size and I could only find a couple pairs of shinpads that would even accommodate my volume and protect me properly.

TheeNorthStar 03-30-2013 10:50 PM

Im around 5'8 / 5'9 ish and i use 14' shinnies. I dont flop or any of that. they go over the tongues for me.

15' sounds way too big for a guy who's 5'8. No bigger than 14s id say.

Jarick 04-01-2013 10:08 AM

I'm 5'7 and wear 14" shin pads, the smallest 14's I can find. 15's would probably be way too big for you. You want the knee cap centered in the knee area and the bottom of the shin right at the top of your skate.

Vuronov 04-04-2013 04:32 PM

I'm between 5'6" to 5"7" and have used both Jr 13" shin pads and Sr 14".

The Jr 13" I've tried fit and protect the front of the legs well enogh, but the calf-wraps do not even remotely make it around to the back of my leg and the straps will not even reach to be used. Also, if you like to put your shins over your tongue, you might find that they are a little shorter than you like, but perfect if you like to flop the tongue. This varies a bit from brand/model to brand/model.

I recently upgraded to Sr 14" shin guards and looked for the shortest I could find. I found Bauer Supreme shins to be too long for me at that size and they kept pressing into the top of my boot when I skated. The Reebok brand of shins seem to be the shortest relative to their stated length and fit perfectly but were rather bulky (though some like that, I do to an extent) so I tried the new Mako shins and they were perfect. They were long enough to wear over my tongues without feeling too long and the calf-wrap provided the back of my leg with protection and they were not too bulky but not too thin either.

I'd say try some Reebok's or Easton's in 14" and see which you like best but they are the shortest it seems.

mikitas donut 04-04-2013 04:55 PM

Definitely leg length. I'm 5'7" and wear the largest children's-sized shin pads D:

Buying pants is annoying too because of my short legs.

bp spec 04-04-2013 09:15 PM

I'm 6'1", and I use 15" shin pads.

FishSauce 04-05-2013 11:00 PM

I'm about 5'8"-5'9" and I use 15" shin pads (I wear them over the tongue). But I also have longer legs for a guy my height.

Shockley 04-06-2013 12:39 AM

im 5'10 and wear 17". I wouldve gone 18 if they had em. IMO the bigger the better (As long as you tuck the tounge)

beth 04-06-2013 12:29 PM

I'm not quite 5'5" and I wear 14" shins. Man, you guys have some short legs! ;)

bp spec 04-07-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kulikov Is King (Post 63411485)
im 5'10 and wear 17". I wouldve gone 18 if they had em. IMO the bigger the better (As long as you tuck the tounge)

How can you even skate with such big shin pads, when you "just" are 5'10"?

Crosbyfan 04-07-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kulikov Is King (Post 63411485)

This is less surprising if you are still growing.

American in Paris 04-08-2013 03:10 AM

6'2" and wear 15" shins

biturbo19 04-09-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kr580 (Post 62828787)
It's your leg length that matters, not your height necessarily. I'm 5'9" and wear 14" CCM Fit07's.

Put your skates on. You don't have to lace them up, but just use them for sizing reference. Bend your knee and position the knee cup of the shinpad centered over your knee cap. The top of your kneecap shouldn't be peeking out, a puck will find that.

Now with it centered on your kneecap see where the bottom of the shinpad falls on your ankle/skates. There's a bit of personal preference required here. If you tuck your tongues under your shins or not will make you want to go longer/shorter. I forget which is which, so try on the shinpads in the manner you prefer, tucked or untucked.

With your skates on it should cover your ankle bones sufficiently (no gaps) but shouldn't be so long that it's digging into your skates and hindering foot/ankle movement. See how your current shinpads look and feel and then you can see where you need to go from there.

If you do go back to the shop, bring your skates with you so can properly fit them. Also, don't forget to get a shinpad that fits well all around, not just length. I have some bigger calves for my size and I could only find a couple pairs of shinpads that would even accommodate my volume and protect me properly.

This pretty much nailed it.

It's less about overall height, and more about proportion/limb length, etc. And personal preference, including how you set up your skate/shinpad arrangement.

If you want to tuck your shinpads into your skate tongues, you're going to want a shorter shinpad likely. Personally, i keep the shinpad on the outside of the skate tongue, and prefer a longer shinpad than others, as it really doesn't make a difference skating or comfort wise, and provides extra protection. But yeah, it's all just what feels comfortable and natural, while still protecting you adequately. Might have to play around with it.

jordanking87 04-14-2013 11:02 PM

everything Ive read on shin guards and in my experience...you want to measure from the top of your boot (not the achellies protector) and go to the center of your knee (all of this done in a sitting position). Get that number and size accordingly...worked for me. Im 6' and wear 15" shins