HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Olympics: 2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion (Part II) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1390727)

joe89 03-31-2013 10:39 AM

2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion (Part II)
 
Part I

Xokkeu 03-31-2013 02:27 PM

Ton continue a comment: these players will be at least 28 or younger on d for the us in Korea.

John Carlson
Cam fowler
Justin Faulk
Zach bogosian
Seth jones
Jacob trouba
Nick leddy

Plus who knows who comes in or how other guys develop. That core still looks strong.

Cory Trevor 03-31-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xokkeu (Post 62858539)
Ton continue a comment: these players will be at least 28 or younger on d for the us in Korea.

John Carlson
Cam fowler
Justin Faulk
Zach bogosian
Seth jones
Jacob trouba
Nick leddy

Plus who knows who comes in or how other guys develop. That core still looks strong.

It does. If anything, it may be early to say, but the next wave is going to be even better. There's no telling really at this point but the 97 class(thanks to Bonney and several media outlets in terms of information) is suppose to be one of the deepest in recent history.


Out of your top tier there, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least four to six of those names be invited to camp for 2018, especially if they are carrying 25 man rosters.

Rabid Ranger 03-31-2013 03:54 PM

Well, Saad is a stud.

AmericanDream 04-01-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger (Post 62864209)
Well, Saad is a stud.

hahaha was coming in here to pimp him up some more..

if you watch this kid play every game, you see a player that crashes the net relentlessly...he never takes a shift off and skates his ass off in both zones. the goals are starting to follow all his hard work...in the final 12 games or so if this kid keeps it up, he could be rookie of the year.

he has the size and skill to be a dominating player, and thanks to Kaner and Sharpie his nickname is "man child"...I love it!!

Darth Yoda 04-01-2013 12:02 PM

So, what are the odds Pominville will be on the team? He's in a funk right now on a more than lacking Sabres team but can play PK, and provide good defensive and offensive play in the right environment. I guess he'll get to prove himself on the WC team in may.

William H Bonney 04-01-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Yoda (Post 62915293)
So, what are the odds Pominville will be on the team? He's in a funk right now on a more than lacking Sabres team but can play PK, and provide good defensive and offensive play in the right environment. I guess he'll get to prove himself on the WC team in may.

Probably pretty small. His hot start probably got him on the radar of USAH brass but his cold spell will have probably killed that momentum. Given that it's likely he did himself no favors with USAH (or Brian Burke) by declining previous WC invitations, he would probably have to consistently play like he did to start this season to climb out of the hole he's apparently put himself in.

SoftEuro4thLiner 04-02-2013 05:45 AM

Stepan and Saad making cases for themselves.

Darth Yoda 04-02-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William H Bonney (Post 62919275)
Probably pretty small. His hot start probably got him on the radar of USAH brass but his cold spell will have probably killed that momentum. Given that it's likely he did himself no favors with USAH (or Brian Burke) by declining previous WC invitations, he would probably have to consistently play like he did to start this season to climb out of the hole he's apparently put himself in.

Mhm. Hopefully he comes to the WC this year and does real well there in a leading role as it looks. He will have every opportunity. Other than that he usually finish his seasons real strong, the only example of the opposite was strangly in his best season last year.

Xokkeu 04-03-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Yoda (Post 63073077)
Mhm. Hopefully he comes to the WC this year and does real well there in a leading role as it looks. He will have every opportunity. Other than that he usually finish his seasons real strong, the only example of the opposite was strangly in his best season last year.

Now that he's on the Wild, he's probably not going to have the chance.

Cory Trevor 04-03-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xokkeu (Post 63156499)
Now that he's on the Wild, he's probably not going to have the chance.

How do you think it will affect it? You don't think the fact that he will play with Suter and Parise would help at all?

Xokkeu 04-03-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory Trevor (Post 63213591)
How do you think it will affect it? You don't think the fact that he will play with Suter and Parise would help at all?

Not going to have the chance to play in the World's.

Darth Yoda 04-03-2013 09:08 PM

Love the fact Pominville got traded to the Wild today. Playing on a line with Parise (and Koivu) will not only boost his stats but also he will have the advantage to play alongside a surefire US Olympian. Chemistry is gold for short tournaments and i cant see a point per game player like Pominville will be from now on to the games being left off the Parise-line there. He also plays in all situations. :P

Cory Trevor 04-03-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xokkeu (Post 63221181)
Not going to have the chance to play in the World's.

My bad, I meant for the Olympics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Yoda (Post 63225507)
Love the fact Pominville got traded to the Wild today. Playing on a line with Parise (and Koivu) will not only boost his stats but also he will have the advantage to play alongside a surefire US Olympian. Chemistry is gold for short tournaments and i cant see a point per game player like Pominville will be from now on to the games being left off the Parise-line there. He also plays in all situations. :P

Yup. That's what I was thinking. If Suter Parise and Pominville all play the same PP unit, it would bode well for Pominville's case for Sochi. However if I'm not mistaken, the Wild would probably want to split up Suter and Pominville on the PP.

Xokkeu 04-03-2013 11:29 PM

Pominville needs to basically finish this season and continue into next season a point per game pace to make this team.

Cory Trevor 04-04-2013 09:38 PM

Ben Bishop, 45 save shut out tonight.

Xokkeu 04-04-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory Trevor (Post 63320609)
Ben Bishop, 45 save shut out tonight.

Bishop is legit, he just needed a place to play, kind of like Schneider.

The good news is we may have 5 or 6 top notch keepers to pick from next winter.

Cory Trevor 04-04-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xokkeu (Post 63332333)
Bishop is legit, he just needed a place to play, kind of like Schneider.

The good news is we may have 5 or 6 top notch keepers to pick from next winter.

Yup. Pretty happy about it. Finally given an opportunity. They are going to have a goaltending battle, methinks. That is, with Lindback now having someone to push him for the starting job. I expect TB starting playing better.

And Brandon Saad stat tracker gives me numbers of:
GP: 34
G: 7
A: 13
P: 20
+12

AmericanDream 04-05-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory Trevor (Post 63334709)
Yup. Pretty happy about it. Finally given an opportunity. They are going to have a goaltending battle, methinks. That is, with Lindback now having someone to push him for the starting job. I expect TB starting playing better.

And Brandon Saad stat tracker gives me numbers of:
GP: 34
G: 7
A: 13
P: 20
+12

add another goal for the Saad monster!!

he is currently in the top 20 for ALL US scorers.

Cory Trevor 04-05-2013 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanDream (Post 63344205)
add another goal for the Saad monster!!

he is currently in the top 20 for ALL US scorers.

check my new siggy;)

PaulieVegas 04-05-2013 11:11 AM

Seems like, suddenly, the goaltending choices for Sochi have become VERY interesting. It is possible (not probable, but possible) that none of the guys from Vancouver will be chosen from Sochi. Considering one of them is the reigning Olympics MVP, that would be monumental.

Miller's play since Vancouver hasn't been stellar, and he has a history of declining invites to the Worlds. I still think Miller is one of the top-5 goalies in the world when he's on his game, but there've been too many nights since Vancouver when he hasn't been. Not sure I blame him, he'd previously dealt with concussion issues and he's frustrated by being on the Sabres. I bet his game picks up next season when he (hopefully) is playing for someone else and we get to see the old Miller that we only see flashes of right now.

Quick has been pretty average this season. He'll still probably make the Sochi team given what he's done in the past but he needs to step it up if he wants to be the starter.

Thomas has probably talked, behaved, and aged his way out of consideration. The consensus best-in-the-world goalie two years ago now needs to play in the Worlds and be lights-out in the early part of 2013 just to even be part of the discussion, and even then he probably won't make it.

Meanwhile, Howard and Schneider have played very well this year (Howard's recent performance against CHI aside), as has Anderson when healthy. And Bishop has emerged as a legit #1. Perhaps Miller and Quick's spots aren't so secure after all?

I still think it will be Miller, Quick, and Schneider at Sochi but wouldn't be surprised if it would be something different.

patnyrnyg 04-05-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulieVegas (Post 63355927)
he has a history of declining invites to the Worlds.

I REALLY hope that is not a factor for ANYONE. Best 3 netminders, best 7 dmen, best 13 forwards. If they want to set it up as best "top-6" forwards for the top 2-lines, best 3 checkers for the 3rd line etc, fine. However, past participation in the WC's shouldn't count. Most Americans do not care about that tournament.

AmericanDream 04-05-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patnyrnyg (Post 63363157)
I REALLY hope that is not a factor for ANYONE. Best 3 netminders, best 7 dmen, best 13 forwards. If they want to set it up as best "top-6" forwards for the top 2-lines, best 3 checkers for the 3rd line etc, fine. However, past participation in the WC's shouldn't count. Most Americans do not care about that tournament.

yes most Americans do not care about this tournament, but sometimes it isnt as clear as the best 7 dmen or best 13 forwards...sometimes there are a few players right with each other in the final selections for certain positions and I wish USA Hockey would start tracking the declines and the acceptions for the WC as the be all tie breaker.

If you answer the call more than the other guy for a tournament that isnt in the spotlight and is for love of country, you should get the nod over that other guy that has declined.. hands down. that is the way USA Hockey should be talking "we will not forget those that said no thanks, rather bake brownies during the WCs",,,even our star players need to answer the bell outside of when it suits them. give me a team full of players that want to represent their country, even dream about it, over a team of all-stars...didnt Herb Brooks teach us and you that 30 years ago???

Kherron 04-05-2013 05:17 PM

There needs to be more Stepan love. The dude is killing it and is tied 5th in points for Americans. He has a history of playing well internationally too.

magic school bus 04-05-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner (Post 63002701)
Stepan and Saad making cases for themselves.

Very much so. Stepan and Saad are heating up.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.