HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Rich Peverley: Fan Favorite? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1390737)

Dennis Bonvie 03-31-2013 10:13 AM

Rich Peverley: Fan Favorite?

Many players have been railed against here recently and throughout the season (duh?).
But it seems Peverley has escaped most of the rath even though he is having a very trying season.

Four goals, eight assists in 32 games. Worst plus/minus on the team (easily, -10). He's played center, wing, on the PP, PK. Just can't seem to get anything done. Even early on when the 3rd line struggled, Kelly took most of the verbal abuse.

So what is it? Is he a fan favorite? Does he appear to be making more of an effort than others? Do fans of Chia not want to mention him because of the possiblity of the "we traded Wheeler & Stuart for this guy? Like to have that one back" critics?

Or am I just not reading enough comments and therefore mistakenly thinking Peverely is getting something of a free ride here?

m0rieris 03-31-2013 10:16 AM

Look at who he has played with this season.

Pandawful? I don't blame him for anemic offense. Caron is awful too.

C77 03-31-2013 10:17 AM

If the Bruins put him in a situation to succeed he would.

ProdigalFan 03-31-2013 10:20 AM

The effort is there. He needs Kelly back going to the net.

Good Easter thread! :sarcasm:

the negotiator 03-31-2013 10:22 AM

He centers a helicopter line......no wings

He's not an all-star but deserves more than he has been dealt this year

BNHL 03-31-2013 10:27 AM

A mediocre player that has stretches where he's very good and very bad.

Frankie Spankie 03-31-2013 10:28 AM

Who has he been playing with again this year? Yeah, exactly...

Mike Yeos Eyebrows 03-31-2013 10:30 AM

One of the fat & happy, complacent passengers on the team right now.

Dennis Bonvie 03-31-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie (Post 62848385)
Who has he been playing with again this year? Yeah, exactly...

So the view is that it has more to do with who he's played with than how he's played?

mashmont 03-31-2013 10:37 AM

I think if he was playing with Kelly and a good wing he would have turned his season around by now..

Hopefully by the end of the year we see

Soderberg Kelly Pev's.

And yes, i do think he is a fan favorite.

Killer B 03-31-2013 10:38 AM

He needs to play better, as does the whole team...

BadBruins 03-31-2013 10:48 AM

I have a hard time singling Peverley out when I look at his linemates. He's not the type of guy who can elevate the play of those around him. For the first time I can remember, he actually looks frustrated. Trying to do way too much himself. Fix the 3rd line.

CrownofThornton 03-31-2013 10:52 AM

The difference with Pev's is that it is never an issue of laziness or lack of effort.

He always keeps the skates moving, and gives what seems like his all every shift.

I thought it was quite unfair when he was a healthy scratch for a game considering what he has to work with on his line.

PatriceBergeronFan 03-31-2013 10:53 AM

He's not a star like Crosby who can still score with borederline NHL/AHL talent on his line. He's played with Caron, Bourque, and Pandolfo, plus some offensively-challenged Kelly as well.

He's the only one who can ever do anything with the puck, and it obviously leads to nothing with the guys he plays with. He still should be doing a little better either way.

Latrappe 03-31-2013 11:07 AM

Peverly = not good enough, this year. He doesn't score and he's a defensive liability. Lack of depth force Claude to put him in the lienup...

ODAAT 03-31-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie (Post 62847803)
Many players have been railed against here recently and throughout the season (duh?).
But it seems Peverley has escaped most of the rath even though he is having a very trying season.

Four goals, eight assists in 32 games. Worst plus/minus on the team (easily, -10). He's played center, wing, on the PP, PK. Just can't seem to get anything done. Even early on when the 3rd line struggled, Kelly took most of the verbal abuse.

So what is it? Is he a fan favorite? Does he appear to be making more of an effort than others? Do fans of Chia not want to mention him because of the possiblity of the "we traded Wheeler & Stuart for this guy? Like to have that one back" critics?

Or am I just not reading enough comments and therefore mistakenly thinking Peverely is getting something of a free ride here?

He and Kelly were fortunate to have guys like Rydes and Pouliot on their wing before and 2 top lines who actually scored, opening ice for them. Both weren`t playing to their standards by any stretch, but when you have a winger (Bourque) who literally killed plays with an inability to win a board battle, or come out somehow with the puck which Marchand and Segs do more frequently, your line is behind the 8 ball.

Caron healthy, Bourque sent down, and the very few games this line played together, it was clear, they were working their way back, Kelly down, enter Pandalfo.

I`m sorry, there`s been no free pass for Pevs here, how about if this team`s "top line" starts actually putting opponents on their heels, then they`d ideally have 2 lines opponents have to worry about, which will, once again, open ice up and let`s face it, as much as Kelly was struggling, we are clearly seeing areas of strength and stability that he brought to that line.

You could put an elite centerman between Caron(who I`m a huge fan of) and Pandalfo and I`ll wager very much the same results

GoBs 03-31-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo (Post 62848481)
One of the fat & happy, complacent passengers on the team right now.

Yup he was just as bad when he had Kelly.

C Rich Peverley 32 4 8 12 -10 1 0 0 6 70 5.71 15:32

westernhome 03-31-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie (Post 62848547)
So the view is that it has more to do with who he's played with than how he's played?

wow this thread :shakehead

Peverley is a beast, fast, versatile, it is horrible the way he has been hung out to dry all by himself with no linemates

BrainOfJ 03-31-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westernhome (Post 62850163)
wow this thread :shakehead

Peverley is a beast, fast, versatile, it is horrible the way he has been hung out to dry all by himself with no linemates

Aren't you the one that speaks of Kelly like he's a god?

Twisted Tales 03-31-2013 11:21 AM

The contract is a bit rich (sorry, I just had too), but his speed and creativity is important to this team. I know this season hasn't been great for him, but he and Kelly have good chemistry together.

Say we get someone like Ryan Clowe, I think the third line (Clowe-Kelly-Peverley) in the playoffs would most definitely be fun to watch.

WhiteMandingo 03-31-2013 12:00 PM

Kelly Ryder Pouliot>>>>>Bourque Caron Pandolfo

thegodfather 03-31-2013 12:05 PM

He's taken his fair share of pounding in here.

I'd personally like to see this...

Lucic-Krejci-Seguin
Marchand-Bergeron-Peverly
Paille-Campbell-Thornton

Very very very very very very very very very very very very limited ice time to the remainder of our forwards.

RedeyeRocketeer 03-31-2013 12:10 PM

Every single forward but Seguin, Bergeron, Marchand and Paille and I wouldn't shed a single tear.

Paille is thrown in there because his return in a trade vs his on ice value would mean losing the trade for sure. So he's a must keep. Bergeron is the glue, Seguin and Marchand are too young and have too much upside. But every single other Bruin forward is for sale for me, and I wouldn't feel bad if they went, provided the return was just.

SPLBRUIN 03-31-2013 12:12 PM

Peverly is a good player who plays hard most nights, he has been saddled with AHL caliber players for several games now with Kelly out. Give him decent players to play with and he will be fine, right now it's freaking embarrasing to see Pandawful and Caron try and skate with him.

Rookie Chargers 03-31-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latrappe (Post 62850011)
Peverly = not good enough, this year. He doesn't score and he's a defensive liability. Lack of depth force Claude to put him in the lienup...

Is the +/- an influence?