HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: Philadelphia Interested in Steve Mason (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1390803)

caley 03-31-2013 11:22 AM

Philadelphia Interested in Steve Mason

Aaron Portzline had an interesting deadline column where he talked about the goalie market with many of the oft-discussed goalies (Luongo, Khabibulin, Kiprusoff, Bishop etc.) but what caught my eye was the part about Mason because I hadn't heard his name brought up in some time.

Quote:

Goaltenders who could be on the move: Los Angeles’ Jonathan Bernier, Ottawa’s Ben Bishop, Edmonton’s Nikolai Khabibulin, Calgary’s Miikka Kiprusoff, Anaheim’s Jonas Hiller and the Blue Jackets’ Steve Mason.
Yes, Mason. Philadelphia was kicking the Blue Jackets’ tires for Mason even before it traded Jeff Carter to Columbus two summers ago.
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...-deadline.html

I actually think Mason could be a solid NHL goalie, but I'm not sure that Philly wouldn't rip him apart. Personally, I think the best fit for him would be Phoenix. If the Coyotes decide to move Smith, Mason could be a decent relatively cheap replacement, and even if they don't move Smith, I'd like to see what Goalie Jedi Sean Burke could do with Mason and it would keep him out of the hockey microscope and see if he can find his game.

EDIT: After re-reading it, this sounded more like Speculaiton, so I changed my prefix

Championship* 03-31-2013 11:24 AM

Mason to Philly would be like going from the slow roaster to the microwave, sure recipe for success

Kershaw 03-31-2013 11:24 AM

2 2nds for Mason. Book it.

Bobrovsky for Mason.

PuqTalk 03-31-2013 11:26 AM

>Jonas Hiller
>Could be on the move

Stopped reading right there.

Ivan13 03-31-2013 11:33 AM

And hilarity ensues.

p.l.f. 03-31-2013 11:35 AM

goalies die in philadelphia

Franck 03-31-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.l.f. (Post 62851343)
goalies die in philadelphia

Mason's career is already dead.

Top 6 Spaling 03-31-2013 11:37 AM

I actually want Mason in Nashville, where Mitch Korn can work with him in a no pressure environment behind Rinne.

Philly would be a death sentence for him.

TSA0402 03-31-2013 11:40 AM

I thought Philadelphia was interested in winning. Are they going for Seth Jones?

parineum 03-31-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuqTalk (Post 62850897)
>Jonas Hiller
>Could be on the move

Stopped reading right there.

He definitely could be. Anaheim has too much money in goal next year with the Perry/Getzlaf deals.

If Selanne comes back, they absolutely need to do something to get under 64m next year.

Exit Dose 03-31-2013 12:57 PM

Eh, I love Teemu, but he really needs to make this his last season.

Ellipson 03-31-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franck (Post 62851457)
Mason's career is already dead.

Maybe Philly is hoping for an overflow error; his career dies to the point that he wraps around to being good again. A resurrection, if you will. Appropriate this thread was made on Easter. :sarcasm:

WeekendAtBernies 03-31-2013 01:09 PM

Really? A Blue Jackets beat writer mentions that Philly was kicking the tires on Mason a few years ago:
-before they had Bryzgalov
-when we desperately needed a goalie
-when Mason actually looked good
And now we have a speculation thread that Mason is going to Philly?

SMH. :facepalm:

AwesomePanthers 03-31-2013 01:13 PM

Mason might be worth the risk. He might return to former shape, and I doubt he will be too expensive. On the other hand, it doesnt make sense for CBJ to sell him on his all time low (tradevalue-wise).

131313 03-31-2013 01:14 PM

Why not Bernier instead ?

Asheru 03-31-2013 01:16 PM

Portzline has also said that Columbus wanted to ship Mason out for a while.

I have a hard time believing Philadelphia sees him as a solution this season!

Co Ho* 03-31-2013 01:17 PM

They'd be dumb to trade for Mason, his best stats were a product of playing under Hitchcock.

Jtown 03-31-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asheru (Post 62857817)
Portzline has also said that Columbus wanted to ship Mason out for a while.

I have a hard time believing Philadelphia sees him as a solution this season!

bryz has played all but 2 games this year simply because we have no other legitimate nhl goalie on our roster. Mason can at least play goalie at the nhl level something the flyers dont have other than bryz. Hence mason would be a godsend for us.

Hockeypete49 03-31-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies (Post 62857385)
Really? A Blue Jackets beat writer mentions that Philly was kicking the tires on Mason a few years ago:

Yep. The Flyers have their goalie now in Bryzgalov and it looks like they have their goalie of the future in Stolarz. They do need a decent backup for a couple of years. But tender is not the problem in Philly now. Youth and injuries are the issue and both are fixable.

Meandmyself 03-31-2013 01:19 PM

This is a terrible news...

Vankiller Whale 03-31-2013 01:35 PM

Step 1: Trade backup up goalie to Columbus for cheap
Step 2: Have said backup goalie play lights out making Mason expendable
Step 3: Acquire Mason for cheap
Step 4: Profit?

PuqTalk 03-31-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parineum (Post 62856367)
He definitely could be. Anaheim has too much money in goal next year with the Perry/Getzlaf deals.

If Selanne comes back, they absolutely need to do something to get under 64m next year.

He's cemented himself as our number one goalie again. If anyone is going to be on the move, it's probably going to be Fasth. He's on a cheaper contract anyways, so he'll probably be more attractive.

WeekendAtBernies 03-31-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 (Post 62857947)
Yep. The Flyers have their goalie now in Bryzgalov and it looks like they have their goalie of the future in Stolarz. They do need a decent backup for a couple of years. But tender is not the problem in Philly now. Youth and injuries are the issue and both are fixable.

I don't believe this part at all. I'm actually praying they amnesty Bryz like ASAP. He's as inconsistent a starter as you'll find in this league and he only plays well when the defense plays well. Zero ability to steal a game for you.

But I still don't think Mason is the answer and I don't want to trade anything of value for him.

I said at the time of the Bob trade we would live to regret it. I never thought it would be this early on, but I knew the day would come.

Xoggz22 03-31-2013 02:12 PM

First, Ian Clark has done a great job with actually getting Mason to listen and work. Mason hasn't been brutal this year, granted he hasn't been forced to be the starter but his work under Clark has provided benefits and definite improvement.

That being said, why would any team trade for Mason at this point unless they had a contract ready for him that he would be willing to sign as an extension of sorts. Mason will not be qualified by Columbus at $3MM so he'll become a UFA this Summer. He's more in line for a 2-way deal than a NHL contract. I'm not saying Philly may not have been interested, however, I can't imagine that's the case right now.

I still think Mason has a NHL future and he has the skills but needs to continue to get his head in order. He committed to fitness this off season and has been a good teammate this year. He'll be signed this off season but I don't see any team looking to trade for him at the deadline

caley 03-31-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies (Post 62857385)

It's an awkwardly-worded sentence, but I believe he means that Philly was interested in Mason two years ago and still has interest now, not that they were interested a few years ago so he figures they might still want him. Portzline has basically believed Mason was impossible to move for the last year and a bit, so it's quite a turnaround for him to believe Mason could be moved, leading me to believe someone, i.e. Philly, has become interested/re-interested.