HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Jaroslav Halak: Elite Goalie? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1390977)

Steve Doan 03-31-2013 02:21 PM

Jaroslav Halak: Elite Goalie?

Figure I'd settle an argument.Will Halak ever be an Elite goalie in this league or has he ever been? Simple question.

STLBLUES44 03-31-2013 02:26 PM

no... he could have some "elite" seasons like last year but he will never be looked at as an elite goalie.

diehardbluesfan 03-31-2013 03:16 PM

95% of this forum don't think he's a #1, why would they change their minds over night? I'm a Halak supporter and I don't think he's elite at all.

ExJbeck 03-31-2013 03:22 PM

Nope, but he could be. Jaro is the only one that is preventing him from being elite.

Dolph Ziggler 03-31-2013 03:46 PM

He can be, but he isn't right now.

BlueDream 03-31-2013 04:01 PM

No he isn't even close to being elite.

I'm not even sure if I would say he "can be" either. A couple good playoff series doesn't automatically make someone elite.

fcpremix88 03-31-2013 04:02 PM

Since everyone's definition of "Elite" is different, there's almost no point in using the word at all.

EastonBlues22 03-31-2013 04:56 PM

I subjectively consider an elite goaltender to be someone who is routinely in the top 10 at the position year after year. Halak's not that guy.

With that said, he absolutely is a #1 goaltender in this league. He's in that sizeable tier of goaltenders a step below the elite with the Jimmy Howards of the NHL and whatnot. Capable of being in the top 10 any given year, and capable of getting hot and stealing a playoff series, but with big enough flaws/inconsistencies that they won't do it year after year. More than good enough to win a championship behind a solid team.

He's not a guy you're happy to pay $4.5+ million for, because there are 10-15 guys in the NHL just like him. On the other hand, you can do a lot worse if you simply cut him loose without having a reliable plan B already in hand. Upgrading from him to a truly elite goaltender is going to cost a hell of a lot of money and/or assets, and probably isn't a realistic option.

Given a choice between rolling with Halak or Allen next year as the #1, I would choose Halak and it's not even really close for me. I think people are reading way too much into what's going on this year. Halak's played all of 15 games this season. I don't care how bad he's played, that's a ridiculous number of games to formulate a long-term opinion of a player off of...even moreso given the circumstances surrounding the season.

Bluesman91 03-31-2013 05:13 PM

Well he would have had more games had he not gotten hurt or played like crap the other games.

EastonBlues22 03-31-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesman91 (Post 62871521)
Well he would have had more games had he not gotten hurt or played like crap the other games.

That's why he hasn't played much in this condensed season. In a normal season, things would be different.

Regardless, that has nothing to do with the greater point that people around here are generally making way too much out of a 15 game sample size. He has a very solid 200+ game NHL resume, and he's only 27 years old. Anyone who is looking at the big picture should be taking what's happened to date this year with a big grain of salt.

mizzoublues29 03-31-2013 06:18 PM

'Elite' is such a subjective and constantly fluctuating term. Even the supposed 'elite' goalies in the league can look like bottom tier goalies over a period of time.

bluesfan4life 03-31-2013 07:15 PM

Halak is not an elite Goalie but he is a #1. His glove and the mental side of his game keeps him from being elite. He is an average starting goalie who may have some elite seasons and streaks but not enough to say he is an elite goalie.

bleedblue1223 03-31-2013 08:59 PM

He's a top 15-20 goalie in the NHL IMO. He is a #1, just how Backes is technically a #1 center, but like Backes, a contending team would want something better.

Halak is not elite AINEC, elite is the top 5ish of the position.

aceoutdoor 03-31-2013 09:17 PM

Jaroslav Halak: Elite Goalie?

LOL Not even close.

CitizenSnips 03-31-2013 09:45 PM

Obviously not elite right now, but I still do believe he has the potential

Robb_K 04-01-2013 01:17 AM

Halak doesn't have good fundamentals. He's lousy with his glove, doesn't play the puck all that well and has terrible rebound control. He loses concentration at times. He's far from elite.

Steve Doan 04-01-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb_K (Post 62901299)
Halak doesn't have good fundamentals. He's lousy with his glove, doesn't play the puck all that well and has terrible rebound control. He loses concentration at times. He's far from elite.

16 post in and we have a winner, but just reading that he has only played 15 games does give me some more confidence in the guy. We all know he takes a while to get going, but he needs to get hot quick.

JustOneB4IDie 04-01-2013 05:00 AM

Not even close.

I'm hoping he's traded, the sooner the better.

HockeyGuy73 04-01-2013 06:52 AM

I think hes more like Andy Murray is as a coach. Good for tournament style play, but just not sure he can carry the load for a full season like Fuhr or Cujo did, and still have anything left i tnhe tank. With that being said, if he can split the season like he did last year, and be some what rested going into the playoffs, I think he could be dangerous in the playoff format like he was in Montreal, and even last yearm he was playing well until the injury.

Izzy 04-01-2013 12:34 PM

Halak is a solid starter. Don't consider anyone outside the top 5 goaltenders to be elite, so no.

bluemandan 04-01-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesman91 (Post 62871521)

Gotta love how you continualy use injuries as evidence of a lack of talent.

This year, last playoffs, whenever.

bluemandan 04-01-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve French (Post 62862359)
Figure I'd settle an argument.Will Halak ever be an Elite goalie in this league or has he ever been? Simple question.

That is two questions.

Will Halak ever be an Elite goalie in this league? Has he ever been (an elite goalie in this league)?

Steve Doan 04-01-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemandan (Post 62921931)
That is two questions.

Will Halak ever be an Elite goalie in this league? Has he ever been (an elite goalie in this league)?

If you think the word elite should be used in a sentence to describe Halak EVER vote yes, otherwise vote no.

BlueDream 04-01-2013 01:00 PM

Damnit, because I think Halak is elite at underperforming.

Mods please change my vote.

JustOneB4IDie 04-01-2013 01:01 PM

Halak, in my humble opinion, has never been comfortable here. Last season was a mirage and so was the play of Elliott in hindsight, with the system Hitchcock implemented. Obviously, it's not working this season.