HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Mike Smith to Toronto (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1391397)

bootsgaudet 03-31-2013 10:30 PM

Mike Smith to Toronto
 
James Reimer for Mike Smith why or why not ? Would phoneix do this, i personally think this would be a perfect fit for toronto.

I say Reimer because i dont believe scrivens would be enough for phoneix to trade, and Reimer would appeal to Phoneix.

Postives -

Playoff experince
From Ontario, may be a lure to resign to lengthy term
has many good years left
Strong goalie, keeps phoneix in games they shouldn't be
Strong play behind the net and puckskills.
Not overhyped(like luo) , wouldn't have a unrealistic "toronto standards" to play to.

Negatives -
Tippets defensive system does assist him, Toronto does not play like this
Injury/inconsistent play this season. However i'm sure attributed to flux in the franchise and contract talks.


Reimer is an ok goalie, up and down spurts. In the two most speculated trades in Bobby Lou

Toronto loses a centre in bozak etc... and Reimer is downgraded to Backup for 5 seasons.

Kipper would be cheap , come in help Reimer etc... however i feel Smith is a starter wants a contract to be one, has long term viability and a great hockey fit for the leafs. Overall would be a better goalie than Remier would end up being.

Phion Keneuf 03-31-2013 10:31 PM

Don't want.

Beastly Bozak 03-31-2013 10:33 PM

cmon man im a huge leafs homer but mike smith for reimer?

veedubn1 03-31-2013 10:34 PM

No thanks.

Doesn't he want something like $6M per? PASS

Reims is more than solid. I'm happy to watch him continue his development with the Leafs.

bootsgaudet 03-31-2013 10:35 PM

Im not even a leafs fan, Ducks here but live in Toronto, watch a lot of phoneix games to.. I tell you he's what they need. I'd deal hiller+ for smith without thinking.

However could be

Reimer+bozak +

for

Smith and Hanzal, somthing like that might make it more interesting ?

veedubn1 03-31-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bootsgaudet (Post 62895229)
Im not even a leafs fan, Ducks here but live in Toronto, watch a lot of phoneix games to.. I tell you he's what they need. I'd deal hiller+ for smith without thinking.

However could be

Reimer+bozak +

for

Smith and Hanzal, somthing like that might make it more interesting ?

what's crazy is that I think ( and I'm sure I'm not alone ) that Hiller >> Smith

I think you're overrated Smith here.

bootsgaudet 03-31-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veedubn1 (Post 62895397)
what's crazy is that I think ( and I'm sure I'm not alone ) that Hiller >> Smith

I think you're overrated Smith here.

Nah HIller is not > smith.

Hiller is the single most defintion of an up and down goalie if ive ever seen one. He's either unreal or lets nearly anything in. He gets lazy, Smiths a battler, plays with way more heart.


I'm not overating smith, hes a solid goalie who i have full faith in. To me hes like tim thomas, rocky road to the top, but you cant question how they end up at the end.

Smith is also like craig anderson, almost identical imo

Mr Misty 03-31-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bootsgaudet (Post 62895229)
Im not even a leafs fan, Ducks here but live in Toronto, watch a lot of phoneix games to.. I tell you he's what they need. I'd deal hiller+ for smith without thinking.

However could be

Reimer+bozak +

for

Smith and Hanzal, somthing like that might make it more interesting ?

This is bananas.

rt 03-31-2013 11:13 PM

As a Phoenix fan I would trade Mike Smith for James Reimer.

firstemperor 03-31-2013 11:20 PM

No thanks, Reimer's been good for us. I'm not sold on Mike Smith either. Realistically, Kipper, Smith, and Luongo aren't upgrades for us.

Spazmatic Dan 03-31-2013 11:31 PM

Yeah no.

Why do so many people feel it necessary to bash Jimmy Reims?

Like, sure he's not best goalie in the league but he's a pretty young goalie with good stats who has come up big when he needed to. Most goalies like this I would think would be looked on as high potential but we keep seeing people trying to replace him.

The answer is no. He's Leaf drafted and Leaf developed. People are always yelling at the Leafs to develop their own talent but when they do that they should trade the guy for a veteran? Sure Reimer may not be playoff battle tested but he's never going to get there if they don't give him a chance.

No thank you.

bootsgaudet 03-31-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Podium (Post 62897981)
Reimer is younger and better than Smith.... how exactly does this push them further into the playoffs?

younger yes which dosent mean that much , better i dont think so.

Smith has playoff experience for one and truculence as well.. Everything toronto needs, not some marginal backup/occasional tender that plays so so.

If it comes down to a battle, you want smith in net, you know what your getting, to many times this season its been the so so play of both leaf goalies that has blown games for them. I like Reimer dont get me wrong , scrivens wouldn't get a deal with phoneix done, so the logical player in a deal would be Reimer. With Scrivens keeping his backup postion.

It would be more detrimental to the leafs in the Lou deal(if it happens)

shedding a much needed centre as bozak (on the leafs is a top 6 c) in order to get a goalie. Smith is as good as Lou right now as well. Thus reducing Reimer to a back up postion and forcing them to move Scrivens. thats them losing more assets then they need to.

Scrivens still gets the boot in the kipper scenario.

Things dont add up. Smith is attainable, and should be explored

Dark Knight 03-31-2013 11:45 PM

I wouldn't mind Mike Smith at all.

Won't give up too much though. If Phoenix is looking for a 2nd, I might consider that.

Totally comfortable with Reimer and Smith as a tandem.

bootsgaudet 03-31-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan (Post 62897857)
Yeah no.

Why do so many people feel it necessary to bash Jimmy Reims?

Like, sure he's not best goalie in the league but he's a pretty young goalie with good stats who has come up big when he needed to. Most goalies like this I would think would be looked on as high potential but we keep seeing people trying to replace him.

The answer is no. He's Leaf drafted and Leaf developed. People are always yelling at the Leafs to develop their own talent but when they do that they should trade the guy for a veteran? Sure Reimer may not be playoff battle tested but he's never going to get there if they don't give him a chance.

No thank you.

i respect the point your making and i do agree. but ridding themselves of more assets then they need to in bozak and scrivens when im sure a Reimer for smith would be accepted by Phx it seems like the idea should at least be considered.

Like i said i just dont see scrivens working for smith, Phoneix would need a goalie, and im not sure they really want many forwards. it could be a bigger package, but i would see this as a goalie swap around Remier.

But i agree Riemer and Smith would the perfect tandem for the leafs

Spazmatic Dan 04-01-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bootsgaudet (Post 62898611)
i respect the point your making and i do agree. but ridding themselves of more assets then they need to in bozak and scrivens when im sure a Reimer for smith would be accepted by Phx it seems like the idea should at least be considered.

Like i said i just dont see scrivens working for smith, Phoneix would need a goalie, and im not sure they really want many forwards. it could be a bigger package, but i would see this as a goalie swap around Remier.

But i agree Riemer and Smith would the perfect tandem for the leafs

Reimer/Smith wouldn't be bad for the playoffs if Smith could be picked up cheap, but like you said I doubt it would be cheap. He's reportedly also looking for a large contract next year which I don't think the Leafs should give him with Reimer in the fold.

I just don't see it working out.

bootsgaudet 04-01-2013 12:23 AM

smith deserves 4 -5 million in his next contract

Vip 04-01-2013 01:09 AM

Yes please from PHX

XX 04-01-2013 02:24 AM

Yes from Phoenix. Start doing the paperwork.

Machinae 04-01-2013 04:16 AM

M. Smith: 31yo, 11-10-3, 2.83 GAA, .901 S%
J. Reimer: 25yo, 13-4-4, 2.52 GAA, .920 S%

??
?

?

April fools?

Sarcastic topic???

??? I dont??

?? wjhaT?

Lobstertainment 04-01-2013 04:25 AM

I'd take Smith as a rental, Not giving up Reimer straight up for him when he's UFA at the end of the year. But would be nice to have for the playoffs incase Reimer/Scrivens get hurt or slump.

I'd give a 2nd/3rd rounder and throw in a later pick or mid range prospect at most. If Phoenix can get more for him then good for them, if they don't like that then I can understand why, but for Toronto it wouldn't make sense to give up a significant amount for him unless he was signed to an extension and that's dealing in hypotheticals based on what he'd be signed for.

416Leafer 04-01-2013 04:30 AM

Reimer wont be moved for Smith.

Scrivens+ could make sense though.

FlyingV 04-01-2013 04:36 AM

If this was proposed last year the obvious answer would be no from Phoenix. However, outside of Smiths vezina quality season last year he really hasn't been all that impressive. That and Smiths age/ufa next year makes this a no for Toronto.

DesertDawg 04-01-2013 04:40 AM

So the OP proposals a trade for the Coyotes goalie who is currently on the IR and going to be a free agent at the end of the season?

Man Bear Pig 04-01-2013 04:42 AM

April fools thread? right? RIGHT?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 04-01-2013 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingV (Post 62903817)
If this was proposed last year the obvious answer would be no from Phoenix. However, outside of Smiths vezina quality season last year he really hasn't been all that impressive. That and Smiths age/ufa next year makes this a no for Toronto.

wouldn't deal Reimer for him but I don't see Smith being a UFA as a bad thing if he sucks we have no long term commitment if he's great he's #1 going forward


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.