HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   GDT: ST LOUIS BLUES vs MINNESOTA WILD, 04/01/2013, 7PM, FSMW (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1391547)

erderuft 04-01-2013 04:49 AM

GDT: ST LOUIS BLUES vs MINNESOTA WILD, 04/01/2013, 7PM, FSMW

http://www.siriusxm.com/servlet/Sate...&ssbinary=true VS http://www.crashthenet.ca/web/images/nhl/min/logo4.gif

A few notes:

This will be newly acquired LD Jordan Leopold's first game with the Blues. Look for him to start out with Shattenkrik and wearing no 33.

Blues goalie Brian Elliott is back from a quick conditioning stint with the Peoria Rivermen. He'll be backing up Jaro Halak tonight.

The Blues have lost 3 straight games, the last one on Thursday against the La Kings.

Meanwhile, the Minnesota Wild are coming off a 4-3 shootout win on Saturday, also against the Kings.

Things have been quite depressing for Blues fans lately, and we desperately need some good news. A win would be perfect, thanks!

Just win and Let's go Blues!

JustOneB4IDie 04-01-2013 05:19 AM

Leopold is also a Minnesota native.

Columbus passed the Blues to move into the 8th slot in the western conference standings last night, imagine that... (the 'note have 3 games in hand.) 6 of the next 7 games will be on the road for the Blues also.

Yep, a win would be nice... I'll believe it when I see it. The Wild are no longer pushovers and their 35 year old soon to be UFA Goalie Backstrom leads the NHL in wins with 19.

rumrokh 04-01-2013 05:40 AM

The absolute gauntlet actually began about four games ago, but I cannot fail to emphasize how intense the schedule is from here on out.

Six games against teams that are significantly higher in the standings (Minnesota twice, Chicago three times, and Vancouver once). Against these teams, the Blues are 2-3-0, with one win in overtime and another in a shootout. Scoring is 12-16 in favor of the opposition and all were one-goal games except for a 3-0 loss to Chicago (if you remember, the Blues were right in this one and Chicago had luck on their side).

Three games against teams who are significantly lower in the standings (Colorado twice and Calgary once). Against these teams, the Blues are 1-1-1, scoring 7-6 in favor of the Blues, including a 5-2 embarrassment of the Flames.

And the big obstacle: six games against teams who are very close to the Blues in the standings (Columbus twice and Detroit, Nashville, Phoenix, and Dallas each once). Interestingly, the Blues are 9-4-0 against these teams. Five of their wins did come in their initial streak, but three of their loses came during their worst time of the year. Scoring is 41-34 in favor of the Blues with a shootout victory, an overtime victory, and four one-goal games.

In March, the Blues were 7-7-0 (two OT victories), with scoring 39-37 in favor of the Blues. Allen was 5-2 during that span, including the complete turd the Blues laid across his face against Edmonton.

I don't want to think about Halak or Elliott's trends, so just going with the team's recent record and their record against the teams they face, they're likely to get about 7 wins, maybe 8. A little bit of luck could make a big difference. Just one flukey goal against a close opponent could decide in or out.

Let's go hockey. :D

ManyIdeas 04-01-2013 06:59 AM

Go hockey!

superblues 04-01-2013 07:37 AM

What the hell?!? A real GDT?

Blasphemy..... Must be April Fools!

moolah3i4 04-01-2013 08:17 AM

Blues lose!

Wild 4
Blues 2

April fools!

Blues win!

Blue 3
Wild 2

SirPaste 04-01-2013 09:13 AM

Just need a win, dont care how we get it

Vladys Gumption 04-01-2013 09:53 AM

Hopefully we'll get to see a Blues AND Cardinals win tonight.

STLBLUES44 04-01-2013 10:08 AM

I have a good feeling about this game.

Multimoodia 04-01-2013 10:09 AM

Looks like a Blues loss.
5-2

Honestly do not see the Blues winning again until they play Nashville.

TheOrganist 04-01-2013 10:23 AM

It's interesting that as the season has gone along the questions about the position that is perpetually the biggest topic in trade rumors, the defense, have halted. Collectively, the group has played really well over the last seven or so games and just got a nice upgrade over Redden. Many of the egregious giveaways of late have come from the forwards.

Here are the biggest hurdles for this team down the stretch:

1. Can the forwards find the determination and hunger to get to the front of the net and create second and third chance opportunities? That's how you finish plays in this league. That's where LA is really head and shoulders above the Blues' forward core and was plain as day last Thursday. We are so perimeter in the offensive zone. I remain skeptical as they've been mired in the bottom half of the league in 5 on 5 offense for most of the season and goals typically become tougher to come by in the latter half of the season.

2. Can the goaltending rebound just to the point where these guys make a timely save or two and don't allow the back breaking variety goals like the GWG in Calgary and LA's second goal last Thursday?

Every fan has a right to be skeptical b/c these are issues that have plagued the team all season. Manufacturing offense and goaltending. Probably the two biggest elements come playoff time. And both elements have sucked. Hopefully it changes but I have low expectations. We are what we are at this point. That LA game really soured me on most of the Blues' forwards.

Dolph Ziggler 04-01-2013 10:48 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say my boy the Captain goes out and scores a game winner.

Linus 04-01-2013 11:45 AM

Does anyone have a link to the site that lists the record each team needs in the remaining games to make the playoffs? The Blues need to win, period. Even if they can't win, it'd be nice for some loser points as well.

Steve Doan 04-01-2013 11:51 AM

Game on FSNMW Plus tonight.

PocketNines 04-01-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 62918135)
Does anyone have a link to the site that lists the record each team needs in the remaining games to make the playoffs? The Blues need to win, period. Even if they can't win, it'd be nice for some loser points as well.

I don't know how any site could do this since we don't know the point threshold required to get in.

IMO, 54 looks like a good bet to get an 8 seed. That's the same as 92 in an ordinary 82-game season.

If we safely grant CHI, ANA, MIN, VAN and LA a playoff berth, then the remaining teams are on pace for:

6. San Jose 56
7. Detroit 53
8. St. Louis 52
9. Dallas 49
10. Edmonton 49
11. Columbus 49 (but remember, they're "ahead" of us :shakehead )
12. Nashville 48
13. Phoenix 47
14. Calgary 44
15. Colorado 40

Realistically, as one or two teams make a big push those numbers on the playoff cusp will inflate slightly. 54 points for the Blues means 18 points in 15 games, things like 9-6-0 or 8-5-2 or 7-4-3. If 52 points gets you in, that's way easier. 8-7-0 or 7-6-2 or 6-5-4.

2 Minute Minor 04-01-2013 12:24 PM

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

He's talking about this site, which gives a projected probability the team makes the postseason based on each possible point total.

BlueDream 04-01-2013 12:32 PM

Another huge game.

Part of me just does not give a **** anymore. This team is just not that good.

The other part of me wants them to go on a huge run, just so fans of other teams (cough Columbus) stop thinking they are actually in the playoffs because they aren't.

PocketNines 04-01-2013 12:34 PM

According to that site, Blues are 61.5% to get in, and the team they trail, Columbus, is 15.5%. Huh. Way to accurately inform the fans about the standings, Blues reporters.

bluemandan 04-01-2013 12:35 PM

Let's Go Blues!!!

:bb:

Izzy 04-01-2013 12:36 PM

Need to step it up and win these games. Would like to actually see them in the playoffs.

bleedblue1223 04-01-2013 12:36 PM

I just want to see some energy and fight in the guys.

2 Minute Minor 04-01-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDream (Post 62921149)
Another huge game.

Part of me just does not give a **** anymore. This team is just not that good.

The other part of me wants them to go on a huge run, just so fans of other teams (cough Columbus) stop thinking they are actually in the playoffs because they aren't.

I'm rooting for Columbus to get in, but not at the expense of the Blues. I'd love for them to edge out the Red Wings.

PocketNines 04-01-2013 12:39 PM

FWIW, lines tonight:

McDonald-Backes-Steen
Schwartz-Berglund-Stewart
Perron-Sobotka-Tarasenko
Porter-Nichol-Reaves

Jackman-Pietrangelo
Leopold-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak

Halak

2 Minute Minor 04-01-2013 12:40 PM

Once Leopold gets up to speed I think we'll see him with Pietro. Probably not tonight, but if things "go well" I think that's the plan.

The Note 04-01-2013 12:44 PM

Gotta win tonight, let's hope they play like they know that.