HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dreger: Resigning Khabibulin and Keeping Whitney (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1391703)

jameswrjobe53 04-01-2013 10:29 AM

Resigning Khabibulin and Keeping Whitney

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m
Some consideration to keeping Ryan Whitney for Oilers playoff push (in-house rental) and signing Khabibulin for another year. #tradecentre

oXo Cube 04-01-2013 10:32 AM

The Oilers are in that awkward spot where they're too good to sell and too bad to buy.

Keeping these guys makes sense for that reason I guess.

gabeliscious 04-01-2013 10:39 AM

realistically neither of them would bring in a fortune if traded so with that in mind i agree they are better off to keep both and try to see what they can do down the stretch

Fire Sweeney 04-01-2013 10:41 AM

Ridiculous, they have no chance to win the cup, they might as well get rid of two players who will never bring them one.

Man Bear Pig 04-01-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco (Post 62913735)
Ridiculous, they have no chance to win the cup, they might as well get rid of two players who will never bring them one.

Not much point in grabbing picks after the first round if you're Tambo :sarcasm:

OneMoreAstronaut 04-01-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

I think the goal is playoffs for now.

McYoungGuns 04-01-2013 10:49 AM

I don't know how to feel about this , I do want to trade whitney for a younger cheaper dman who can play this year but at the same time he has looked good as of late :/

Fleury14 04-01-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

I think that sums up the 'HF mantra' concisely more than anything else I read here.

Stats01 04-01-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

I think in EDM the playoffs are the goal for now..wouldn't you think? Baby steps here. As an outsider it would be refreshing to see EDM actually think about the present rather than just try to dump everything for the future like they always do. If they make the playoffs this year is a success.

JawandaPuck 04-01-2013 10:59 AM

If EDM trades Whitney to BOS for lets say goalie Niklas Svedberg (a Euro vet having an excellent rookie season in Providence with a $1M cap hit), they don't need to worry about re-signing Khabi. That's the type of roster management decision Tambellini has to weight against keeping the team intact for the playoff run.

In addition, this could also be one of those management planted story in hopes of motivating the potential suitors like BOS to actually give up a guy like Svedberg.