HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The AHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Spezza named AHL MVP (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=139175)

Sticky* 04-15-2005 10:24 AM

Spezza named AHL MVP

www.tsn.ca

Eb0la11 04-15-2005 10:55 AM

What can I say? Hes probably going to lead the NHL in scoring within 3-4 years.

SensGod 04-15-2005 11:12 AM

Was there ever any doubt? ;)

Murphy* 04-15-2005 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensGod
Was there ever any doubt? ;)

Well, there was always Wellwood.

danaluvsthekings 04-15-2005 11:59 AM

Congrats to Spezza, he had a great year and I don't want this to sound like sour grapes because Spezza is a deserving winner. One question though. Why do they vote on MVP (and all the awards that matter) before the season is over? Cammalleri still has an outside shot at 50 goals and to tie or pass Spezza for the scoring title. It's a small shot but he still has the chance to do it. Because if Cammalleri did pull it off I'd think he'd be deserving of the MVP. I just thought it funny that they do the voting and announce the all the awards before the season is over because if someone who played very consistently all season really comes on strong at the end of the season with a dominating performance the AHL has already voted on their awards. I'm guessing they did the voting for these awards 3-4 weeks ago.

SensGod 04-15-2005 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murphy
Well, there was always Wellwood.

we're talking about "doubt"...not "wishfull thinking" ;)

King_Brown 04-15-2005 01:00 PM

I always felt Spezza was going to be the next best young player in the NHL. In my opinion if you want someone with Gretzky and Lemuix like abilities Spezza is your man, not Sidney Crosby.

IdiotsPickedMyName* 04-15-2005 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Brown
I always felt Spezza was going to be the next best young player in the NHL. In my opinion if you want someone with Gretzky and Lemuix like abilities Spezza is your man, not Sidney Crosby.

I like your thinking ;), but i think your about to get flamed hard

Thornton97 04-15-2005 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings
Congrats to Spezza, he had a great year and I don't want this to sound like sour grapes because Spezza is a deserving winner. One question though. Why do they vote on MVP (and all the awards that matter) before the season is over? Cammalleri still has an outside shot at 50 goals and to tie or pass Spezza for the scoring title. It's a small shot but he still has the chance to do it. Because if Cammalleri did pull it off I'd think he'd be deserving of the MVP. I just thought it funny that they do the voting and announce the all the awards before the season is over because if someone who played very consistently all season really comes on strong at the end of the season with a dominating performance the AHL has already voted on their awards. I'm guessing they did the voting for these awards 3-4 weeks ago.

Of course I am biased, but I'll share my thoughts.

I love watching Spezza. Seen him a few times live this season, a couple times right next to the glass. I think he is deserving of the award, but I think Cammalleri is moreso and I don't think Squidy needs to "score 50" or "pass Spezza" for the scoring lead.

When Lehoux went down, and the Monarchs suffered ridiculous numbers of injuries (LA Kings East), Cammalleri was the one who pulled this team together. He always scored the big goal; he always put the Monarchs in a position to win every night regardless of who was in the game or who was on his wing. Without Spezza, the Sens are fighting it out with the Phantoms for tops in the division. Without Cammalleri, I see the Monarchs fighting it out for a place in the playoffs.

Like I said, I am biased and I admit that. I also absolutely love Spezza. But I just think that Cammalleri was more important to his team than Spezza was to his.

Cruiser008 04-15-2005 02:56 PM

Go Spezza! It's strange that the guys gets way hype hype on these boards compared to the likes of Carter, Phaneuf, etc. when Spezza is a far more proven talent.

Wally112pac 04-15-2005 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eb0la11

lol. :p:

Wondercarrot 04-15-2005 05:40 PM

dont think so wally?

he'll be right in the mix. i think he'll win it within 3 years and will be in the top 15 next year. ill guess 80pts minimum next season the NHL plays.

(that would have put him in the top 10 last year)

oil slick 04-15-2005 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondercarrot
dont think so wally?

he'll be right in the mix. i think he'll win it within 3 years and will be in the top 15 next year. ill guess 80pts minimum next season the NHL plays.

I actually agree with you. I think he's got great talent, and just as importantly, he'll have great wingers (provided they get lw sorted).

AnThGrt 04-15-2005 06:26 PM

I think this is bs to Camms should of won it and easilly - Camms plays against 6 of the top 10 golies in his conference and puts up the same pts his team is half injured and he has carried them has the better other stats..... This is retarted i think Spezza did not deserve award (And i saw both them play several times)

Jargin 04-15-2005 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnThGrt
I think this is bs to Camms should of won it and easilly - Camms plays against 6 of the top 10 golies in his conference and puts up the same pts his team is half injured and he has carried them has the better other stats..... This is retarted i think Spezza did not deserve award (And i saw both them play several times)

:shakehead Sad thing is you're serious.

blitzkriegs 04-15-2005 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eb0la11

And are you basing that on the fact that he was named the AHL MVP?

Looking at the previous winners of the AHL MVP award, it's been 20+ years since the winner actually made an IMPACT in the NHL.

He's a developing player with a lot of potential, but to infer that AHL MVP = NHL points leader is a little far fetched.

Jargin 04-15-2005 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
And are you basing that on the fact that he was named the AHL MVP?

Looking at the previous winners of the AHL MVP award, it's been 20+ years since the winner actually made an IMPACT in the NHL.

He's a developing player with a lot of potential, but to infer that AHL MVP = NHL points leader is a little far fetched.

He has already scored 55 points in the NHL. So I would say the impact is already made.

Wally112pac 04-15-2005 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondercarrot
dont think so wally?

I think "probably" is too strong of a word.

There's about 30 players that have a great shot at the Art Ross each year. There's Thrasher fans sayin Kovalchuk and Heatley will probably win it in 3-4 years. Caps fans say the same thing with AO. Hawks fans with Ruutu. Jackets fans with Nash and Zherdev. Canes with Staal. Flames with Iggy. Throw them all in a bunch and i think your "he'll be right in the mix" is a bit more accurate.

Albi 04-15-2005 07:22 PM

I don't give a S if Spezza is going to be a superstar in the NHL or if he already is a star. He had a great year, I agree with you. But this isn't an award who goes to the most promising player. It goes to the best AHL player THIS season.

I know you'll call me a homer but, as I already stated in another thread, IMO Cammalleri deserved it more than Jason. Spezza has more pts (113 to 108), more assist (81 to 62) and 1 more SHG (3-2) than Cammy.

But what about the rest? Cammy is the only player in the AHL who almost reached the 50 goal mark with 46 tallies (Spezza had only 32. 10th in the league), he's a better +/- (+25, while Jason is a +20), more PPG (17 against 10) and more GWG (7-5).
Being Cammy, I'd be pissed.

King'sPawn 04-15-2005 07:58 PM

As a Kings fan, I'm disappointed Cammalleri didn't make it. But, it's really nothing to get bent out of shape over. Winning the AHL MVP adds to the value of a player... but not winning it doesn't make any player less valuable. After all, is Kari Lehtonen any less valuable because Miller was judged the most outstanding goaltender?

Hey, I'm just happy Cammalleri competed and made it as close as he did. I just hope he'll bring it to the NHL level.

Congrats to Spezza!

IdiotsPickedMyName* 04-15-2005 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albi
I don't give a S if Spezza is going to be a superstar in the NHL or if he already is a star. He had a great year, I agree with you. But this isn't an award who goes to the most promising player. It goes to the best AHL player THIS season.

I know you'll call me a homer but, as I already stated in another thread, IMO Cammalleri deserved it more than Jason. Spezza has more pts (113 to 108), more assist (81 to 62) and 1 more SHG (3-2) than Cammy.

But what about the rest? Cammy is the only player in the AHL who almost reached the 50 goal mark with 46 tallies (Spezza had only 32. 10th in the league), he's a better +/- (+25, while Jason is a +20), more PPG (17 against 10) and more GWG (7-5).
Being Cammy, I'd be pissed.

LOL why do you think goals are worth so much more than assists?? Either way the player has created offence for his team. I mean its not like Spezza is leaching off other players talents for his assists, have you ever watched him play? alot of his assists were highlight reel passes!

Either player could have won the award but Spezza's 5 four point nights and a five point night probably put him over the top. He just seems untouchable at times on the ice. I havent seen Cammy play but from what i hear is a great leader and a fantastic Hockey player , could've gone either way but i think they made the right choice.

SENSible1* 04-15-2005 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnThGrt

Did you watch them head to head?

Jan 21st Bingo 4 Manchester 1. Spezza 3 points Cammy 1 point.

Feb 19th Bingo 7 Manchester 2 Spezza 5 points Cammy 1 point.

Let's see how goaltending affected Spezza.

Spezza had 10 points in 7 games vs AHL goalie of the year Ryan Miller.

SensGod 04-15-2005 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Did you watch them head to head?

Jan 21st Bingo 4 Manchester 1. Spezza 3 points Cammy 1 point.

Feb 19th Bingo 7 Manchester 2 Spezza 5 points Cammy 1 point.

Let's see how goaltending affected Spezza.

Spezza had 10 points in 7 games vs AHL goalie of the year Ryan Miller.

DING!

Thank you very much...

besides...Cammy doesn't have the size really to be much in the NHL...

and who ever brings up Fleury and St.Louis should know that they are freaks of nature that only happen once or twice in a generation.

V for Voodoo 04-15-2005 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albi
But this isn't an award who goes to the most promising player. It goes to the best AHL player THIS season.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that those who voted knew that.

Thornton97 04-15-2005 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensGod
DING!

Thank you very much...

besides...Cammy doesn't have the size really to be much in the NHL...

and who ever brings up Fleury and St.Louis should know that they are freaks of nature that only happen once or twice in a generation.

Oh, so that effects how the AHL MVP is named? Thanks for clarifying that up.

:sarcasm: