HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   To Leafs: Ink Sidney (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=139225)

-PrO-B1- 04-15-2005 03:44 PM

To Leafs: Ink Sidney

The sporting behemoth that is Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment has certainly seen more buoyant times. Only the Rock, it's fair to say, have been a bright spot at the Air Canada Centre and MLSE doesn't own them. There is, however, at least one very intriguing concept kicking around that could turn grey skies into blue for MLSE. It has to do with Sidney Crosby.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...d=968867503640

Scroll down a little.

Mess 04-15-2005 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -PrO-B1-

The sporting behemoth that is Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment has certainly seen more buoyant times. Only the Rock, it's fair to say, have been a bright spot at the Air Canada Centre and MLSE doesn't own them. There is, however, at least one very intriguing concept kicking around that could turn grey skies into blue for MLSE. It has to do with Sidney Crosby.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Render&c=Page&cid=968867503640

Scroll down a little.

Actually the NHL thought of that in the CBA negotiations with the NHLPA ..

Not just for Crosby but other players .. In the last NHL proposal the NHL included a clause that said any AHL player making more than 75,000 a year would count against and NHL Hard Cap ..

Link : http://www.nypost.com/sports/41703.htm

During a lockout that certainly would be possible for next season .. I actually dreamed up just such a scheme myself resently ..

Check out an old thread Crosby #1 replacement player a while back .. I was trying to find loopholes that would allow the leafs to sign a replacement player and have a legal binding contract that would prior to a new CBA ..

Volcanologist 04-15-2005 05:10 PM

To Damien: Why bother? The Leafs will never get him. He still has to be drafted. To sign him to the Marlies would be a horrible tease for Toronto Maple Leaf fans.

SensGod 04-15-2005 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PepNCheese
To Damien: Why bother? The Leafs will never get him. He still has to be drafted. To sign him to the Marlies would be a horrible tease for Toronto Maple Leaf fans.

It's funny how much of a realist you are on the Leafs board...but when you come over to the Sens board you are a complete surrealist.

Mat 04-15-2005 09:57 PM

the leafs will sign Sidney to a huge AHL contract if the league goes with replacement players. the leafs will then suspend NHL opperations, and move the Marlies into the ACC until the NHLPA players return. by this time, Sidney will be a FA and the leafs will sign him full-term to their big club

tml_4ever 04-15-2005 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensGod
It's funny how much of a realist you are on the Leafs board...but when you come over to the Sens board you are a complete surrealist.

come to think of it, i haven't been to the Sens board for a long while......heh heh heh :devil:

Volcanologist 04-15-2005 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensGod

Was I surreal? I didn't mean to be. :)

BringGilmourBack 04-16-2005 08:09 AM

Which article is that notation on?

Twist and Shout 04-17-2005 08:12 AM

To -PrO-B1-: Ovechkin will be leaps and bounds better than Crosby :clap:

Scoogs 04-17-2005 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenSteen

:biglaugh:

ULF_55 04-17-2005 10:07 AM

Quote:

Like happened in the WJC, he'll be targetted and will have to get tougher if he expects to have a long career.

Pappy 04-17-2005 12:23 PM

Unfortunatly

If Crosby has a choice he would sign with the Canadiens his favorite team growing up, he said that on an interview on TSN last week.

Mess 04-17-2005 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy
If Crosby has a choice he would sign with the Canadiens his favorite team growing up, he said that on an interview on TSN last week.

What would his opinion be if some team offered him 5 mil+ and season and the Habs could only offer him $3 mil per. ??

Leaf Army 04-17-2005 12:53 PM

Quote:

The Canadians wouldn't sign Crosby to play in Hamilton. They wouldn't want him taking icetime from guys Higgins, Plekanec and Milroy.

mooseOAK* 04-17-2005 01:46 PM

Quote:

Problem is, almost every other player in the league that could help to complement Crosby on that team feels differently.

Lobstertainment 04-17-2005 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Messenger
What would his opinion be if some team offered him 5 mil+ and season and the Habs could only offer him $3 mil per. ??

We're not Crosby so we may never know, but if I would want to play for my favorite team.

If I had the skill to be a NHL player I'd sign with Toronto if they were interested in a heartbeat. even if other teams offered more I still think I would sign with Toronto.

so if Crosby feels even remotly the same way he would sign with the Habs, what's 2 million bucks to the kid? isn't he set to make more with Rebok then he would make with any NHL team right now?

LaLaLaprise 04-17-2005 08:43 PM

The leafs cant sign him.

What about that dont you understand?

The Marlies CAN sign him but the LEAFS CAN NOT! Once the NHL opens up again Sidney will need to be drafted.

Lets say the NHL is closed next year as well and Crosby plays for the Marlies. The NHL then reaches an agreement a year from now. Crosby would be picked #1 from the Toronto Marlies. Similar to Patrik Stefen being picked from the IHL.

LaLaLaprise 04-17-2005 08:44 PM

Quote:

At filling water bottles.

:clap:

LaLaLaprise 04-17-2005 08:45 PM

Quote:

The Habs would pony up the money. We are talking about Crosby here. He is already huge in Quebec. The Habs would sell out every game and easily make back the 2 mill on Crosby jersey's alone.

Mess 04-17-2005 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise
The leafs cant sign him.

What about that dont you understand?

The Marlies CAN sign him but the LEAFS CAN NOT! Once the NHL opens up again Sidney will need to be drafted.

Lets say the NHL is closed next year as well and Crosby plays for the Marlies. The NHL then reaches an agreement a year from now. Crosby would be picked #1 from the Toronto Marlies. Similar to Patrik Stefen being picked from the IHL.

People here realize that .. Those responses came in response to Crosby named a UFA and then would ne pick his fav team or would money talk ???

LaLaLaprise 04-17-2005 09:04 PM

Quote:

People here realize that .. Those responses came in response to Crosby named a UFA and then would ne pick his fav team or would money talk ???

A bit of both more than likely. Contrary to what SOME people believe not everyone wants to play in Toronto.

Vic Rattlehead* 04-17-2005 09:24 PM

Quote:

Crosby turned down 5 million a year to play in WHA. Money obviously doesn't talk.

Gardebut30 04-17-2005 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19bruins19
Crosby turned down 5 million a year to play in WHA. Money obviously doesn't talk.

i completely agree

Bileur 04-17-2005 11:33 PM

I also beleive MTL would match/come close enough to matching other teams offers to get him. Once the MTL media starts going the fans get in a frenzy, its kind of scary how much power the sports media in MTL has.

Mess 04-17-2005 11:41 PM

Crosby turned down the WHA when he thought he would be drafted and the uncertainty of the WHA to date ..

That was then and this is now .. Should the lockout continue and the WHA be an option Crosby may still reconsider that an option, along with Europe and the AHL ..

As and UFA it will be interesting to see ... RJ Umberger was a Pittsburgh boy and grew up with Pitts and Mario his fav team .. but when $$$ was on the table he chose Philly as a UFA as you remember ..

Crosby Fav team may be Montreal but if healthy he has lots of years ahead he never once said that he needs to play his whole career there lets say .. I could easily see a team like the NYR opening the vault and Montreal would be hard pressed to match Big City offers .. SO it will come down to Crosby and to date we have very few case where a player took less money to play for the team of his choice ..

Lindros to Toronto as a UFA might be just such a case ..