HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   NHL Draft - Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mark Cundari and Reto Berra (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1392437)

Flames Jihadist 04-01-2013 08:50 PM

Mark Cundari and Reto Berra
 
Discuss..

Flames 1st pick 04-01-2013 08:53 PM

According to Feaster
Cundari is one of the best dmen in the AHL
Berra is one of the two best goalies outside of the NHL

So as long as they stay out of the NHL..it's a good deal :sarcasm:

Devonator 04-01-2013 09:12 PM

2 scrubs that will never likely play ever in the NHL. Classic trade yet again by Feaster. :laugh:

Marshal Rochambeau 04-01-2013 09:23 PM

Anyone who actually knows about the prospects?

Passchendaele 04-01-2013 09:47 PM

Grandson of Yogi? :laugh:

Polaris 04-01-2013 09:53 PM

I don't know much about Berra, seems like many Blues fans wrote him off long ago since he showed no intention in coming over to North America. That has apparently changed recently, however. He could be a wild card - it's just the nature of the goaltending position.

Cundari is an undersized defensemen who plays a gritty game for a guy his size. Has some decent offensive instincts as well. I've heard that his defensive game needs work though. Might end up being just a little too undersized to have any significant impact at the NHL level, so he seems like he'll be a good AHL'er (was the Rivermen's ASG representative, I believe) who would be first or second in line for a call-up if injuries hit the big club. Depth guy, basically.

I wouldn't bet money on either guy being a regular NHL'er, but there's a small amount of potential in both guys.

Chileiceman 04-01-2013 09:56 PM

I loved watching Cundari when he was on the Spitfires, especially his last year there. He was a fast puck moving defenseman in those days. No idea how his development has gone in the pros. Being undersized is not really an issue in Junor but it is in the pros. I still hope he makes it to the show.

XO 04-01-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan (Post 62974455)
According to Feaster
Cundari is one of the best dmen in the AHL
Berra is one of the two best goalies outside of the NHL

So as long as they stay out of the NHL..it's a good deal :sarcasm:

Really? I very much doubt he's better than Barulin, Rämö and Salak. Then there's Ericsson, Raanta, Gustafsson, Vehanen and some other pretty good goalies in Europe as well. Berra might make the top 5, but he's by no means the 2nd best goalkeeper playing in Europe right now..

The Ultimate Warrior 04-01-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flameaholic (Post 62973909)
Discuss..

Honestly, why do you make these threads? Save Flames fans some embarrassment. These just become a pool for haters to pile on the insults.

Flames Jihadist 04-01-2013 10:10 PM

Flames believe Berra is the 2nd best goalie not currently playing in the NHL, behind Ramo. Could be a future 1 or 1A goalie in the NHL. Anyone know who Victor Fasth was before this season? :naughty:

Cundari looks to have 3rd pair (#5/6) D-man potential.

Aceboogie 04-01-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flameaholic (Post 62985393)
Flames believe Berra is the 2nd best goalie not currently playing in the NHL, behind Ramo. Could be a future 1 or 1A goalie in the NHL. Anyone know who Victor Fasth was before this season? :naughty:

Cundari looks to have 3rd pair (#5/6) D-man potential.

Not posting .906 in the Swiss league.

Gustasfvson was also the best goalie not in the NHL at one point

TheHudlinator 04-01-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topchowda (Post 62985655)
Not posting .906 in the Swiss league.

Gustasfvson was also the best goalie not in the NHL at one point

I think its a terrible trade, but stat check much :laugh:

Crafton 04-01-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flameaholic (Post 62985393)
Flames believe Berra is the 2nd best goalie not currently playing in the NHL, behind Ramo. Could be a future 1 or 1A goalie in the NHL. Anyone know who Victor Fasth was before this season? :naughty:

Cundari looks to have 3rd pair (#5/6) D-man potential.

plenty of people knew who Fasth was.

Kyle93 04-01-2013 10:26 PM

Gustavsson was the best goalie not in the NHL a while ago, look where that turned out :sarcasm: kidding, kidding, looks like he's doing okay this year.

Aceboogie 04-01-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHudlinator (Post 62986529)
I think its a terrible trade, but stat check much :laugh:

Hes a good goalie not denying that, but to blindly call him best goalie not in NHL is not correct either

CraigBillington 04-01-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Que (Post 62984155)
Really? I very much doubt he's better than Barulin, Rämö and Salak. Then there's Ericsson, Raanta, Gustafsson, Vehanen and some other pretty good goalies in Europe as well. Berra might make the top 5, but he's by no means the 2nd best goalkeeper playing in Europe right now..

Sarcasm?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wally31 (Post 62984469)
Honestly, why do you make these threads? Save Flames fans some embarrassment. These just become a pool for haters to pile on the insults.

My guess is to gain a bit of knowledge about these relatively unknown assets his team just acquired since this is probably the best spot on the boards to do so...

Vatican Roulette 04-01-2013 11:08 PM

IIRC Cundari had a good 1st year in the AHL, I seem toiremember some Blues fans saying he was going to be a callup soon. Haven't heard much since.

Berra, I didn't think he was ever going to come over. He had good potential after the draft year and looked like a player, but then again, looked like a career European player.

After seeing Flames fans post what they wanted from Detroit in return for Jbo, I feel sorry for them. They should have gotten more than a 1st and two prospects that likely won't make the NHL.

TheHudlinator 04-01-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topchowda (Post 62987101)
Hes a good goalie not denying that, but to blindly call him best goalie not in NHL is not correct either

I never said he was but Biel sucked the last few years. It will be interesting to see how this plays out maybe Ramo said he wouldn't come over so Calgary moved on to the next option only time will tell.

Leperus Leprechuan 04-01-2013 11:53 PM

Cundari is good, plays just like Giordano.
He's short but strong as an ox.
Top pairing guy right now in AHL, #5 guy in NHL who can put 20-30 points during a good year IMO.

Leperus Leprechuan 04-01-2013 11:56 PM

Swiss fans are very high on Berra they say hes better than Hiller already. He told his team he will be going to N.A next season so looks like a Ramo/Berra tandem for the Flames, hopefully one of them can be the next Kipper!

The Zetterberg Era 04-02-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abars (Post 62995233)
Cundari is good, plays just like Giordano.
He's short but strong as an ox.
Top pairing guy right now in AHL, #5 guy in NHL who can put 20-30 points during a good year IMO.

I have seen quite a few games of Peoria versus the Griffins and a couple in person when they take on the Admirals in Milwaukee. The description above of Cundari is pretty accurate. One of the only guys to bother Tatar and Nyquist at that level this year and the big guys in Milwaukee. He plays a very physical brand of hockey for a smaller guy and is a solid stay at home kind of guy. Think he will make the league and people will like him for his effort.

Don't think much of the swiss goaltender, watched some NLA games during the lockout. He looks big and all but sometimes his lateral movement isn't the greatest. He will need to really focus and have a good off-season to beat out Ramo who I think is a much better player overseas. As for the Flames scouts saying he and Ramo are the best goaltenders outside NA, I don't agree with that. I don't know that Berra is top five. Certainly the NLA has put out a couple good goalies I am just not sold, although the D over there really does allow a lot of quality opportunities so he could prove people like me very wrong. He certainly doesn't bail a lot of them out in the games I have witnessed.

TheNeutrality 04-02-2013 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abars (Post 62995443)
Swiss fans are very high on Berra they say hes better than Hiller already. He told his team he will be going to N.A next season so looks like a Ramo/Berra tandem for the Flames, hopefully one of them can be the next Kipper!

... what?

Berra is ok and stuff (I'm still not sold on him, but the whole country is fanboying like crazy, so there must be something), but he's not close to Hiller at the moment. I even doubt that he's close to the 26 years old Hiller.

jonas2244 04-02-2013 01:34 AM

I think Berra is close to the level Hiller had when he left Switzerland. He played two very strong years with Biel and led a mediocre team to the playoffs. I don't know how much progress he can still make but he's definitly worth a shot. Low risk, maybe high reward.

Redgren Grumbholdt 04-02-2013 01:43 AM

Both are fringy NHL types, IMO.

Berra is pretty highly regarded, but he isnt going to make a transition like Fasth, and may not stick around if he doesnt see the NHL quickly.

Cundari has been a great AHL defenseman, but he wouldnt be the first undersized defenseman who couldnt transition to the NHL. Not sure what his role is going to be in the NHL though, its really tough to be an undersized defensive defenseman.

BlueSinceBirth 04-02-2013 02:09 AM

I remember hearing reports of fans at the Blues prospect camp a few years ago saying Berra performed the best in that camp. That does show that he has atleast been to North America. I think Berra could be an NHL netminder, but I seem him as one of those guys that you trade a conditional 7th for to take a chance on.

I had no idea you could sign undrafted 18 and 19 year olds right after their draft year until the Blues signed Cundari. He seemed to be trending up this year for Peoria. If Berra comes over, this trade does not look too bad.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.