HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Player Discussion: WOW: Dubey with a .922 save ptg is tied for 7th (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1392739)

Brokenhead 04-02-2013 03:49 AM

WOW: Dubey with a .922 save ptg is tied for 7th
 
Damn, how about Dubey huh? I've never been a big detractor or defender of Dubey but those stats are impressive. He is tied with Lundquist and Vokoun for 7th in the league.
I still don't think he has shown himself to be elite, but those are high quality numbers. Lets hope it continues.

oilexport 04-02-2013 03:57 AM

Problem all along is he does not make the spectacular saves that small goalies have to make. He makes a lot of shots look easy. Having said that, he has suprised me with his quickness and mobility as it has improved.

The silly one goal a game rap is justified but he makes up for that with two goals prevented just by standing in a good position.

I'm sold on this guy but he needs a good back-up to spell him off every 3-4 games as his play seems to fall off when overplayed. As the Oilers get better and the shot count goes down, maybe this also goes away.

Brokenhead 04-02-2013 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilexport (Post 63001723)
Problem all along is he does not make the spectacular saves that small goalies have to make. He makes a lot of shots look easy. Having said that, he has suprised me with his quickness and mobility as it has improved.

The silly one goal a game rap is justified but he makes up for that with two goals prevented just by standing in a good position.

I'm sold on this guy but he needs a good back-up to spell him off every 3-4 games as his play seems to fall off when overplayed. As the Oilers get better and the shot count goes down, maybe this also goes away.

Couldn't agree more. What do you think of taking a chance on a guy that has dumped it early in his career like Mason?

oilexport 04-02-2013 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokenhead (Post 63001913)
Couldn't agree more. What do you think of taking a chance on a guy that has dumped it early in his career like Mason?

Not sure as i don't really watch him that much. Looks like Bulin is done but if we only played him every 3-4 games I would not mind signing him on the cheap for another year !

We have ridden our hot goalie until he colapses from fatige or gets hurt. I believe this is a bad strategy but don't blame them (coachs) due to the pressure of winning. Only problem is it's bad in the long run for our particular goalies. The schedule this year does not allow for proper rest for a 40 year old and a skinny tall goalie. Mentally and physically tired getting 40 shots a game...

Lets also develop some of our Young drafts or trade for some young guys and develop them in the AHL. We have done a poor job down there or scouting the drafts incorrectly ??

Comrade Blunderbore 04-02-2013 07:34 AM

OK, OK, if they would ask me i'd say the guy has earned another chance to prove himself next year. still suspicious about what he can do for us on a long run.

McClelland 04-02-2013 08:01 AM

We have been outshot heavily almost every gam, so the save % not telling the whole truth. He has been up and down as you would expect for his first year as no 1 and with our defence taking days off.

I think dubie will be fine in a couple of years, but im not against to sign a nhl ready top prospect goalie either as a backup if he doesnt turns to be a legit no1 goalie.

Jimmi Jenkins 04-02-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McClelland (Post 63004073)
We have been outshot heavily almost every gam, so the save % not telling the whole truth. He has been up and down as you would expect for his first year as no 1 and with our defence taking days off.

I think dubie will be fine in a couple of years, but im not against to sign a nhl ready top prospect goalie either as a backup if he doesnt turns to be a legit no1 goalie.

:facepalm: Clearly, I mean all it's telling me is that he's giving them a chance to win every night.

Devan Dubnyk has been everything this team has needed, consistent, confident goaltending on a nightly basis.

joestevens29 04-02-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McClelland (Post 63004073)
We have been outshot heavily almost every gam, so the save % not telling the whole truth. He has been up and down as you would expect for his first year as no 1 and with our defence taking days off.

I think dubie will be fine in a couple of years, but im not against to sign a nhl ready top prospect goalie either as a backup if he doesnt turns to be a legit no1 goalie.

Where exactly do you have a chance to sign a guy like this? I'm sure as always if there is a Fasth available we'll be in on it, but otherwise it's not like this guys just come available everyday.

Chooch 04-02-2013 09:50 AM

I'd like to see how well any of the starting goalies in the league would do on our team with all the shots they have to face every game. Dubynk is a capable starting goaltender, it's just harder to earn that title with the Oilers. We just work him way too hard way too often and it eventually randomly makes him crack in which case people start to question his ability to start.

Slatsmsg 04-02-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilexport (Post 63001723)
Problem all along is he does not make the spectacular saves that small goalies have to make. He makes a lot of shots look easy. Having said that, he has suprised me with his quickness and mobility as it has improved.

The silly one goal a game rap is justified but he makes up for that with two goals prevented just by standing in a good position.

I'm sold on this guy but he needs a good back-up to spell him off every 3-4 games as his play seems to fall off when overplayed. As the Oilers get better and the shot count goes down, maybe this also goes away.

My brother in law and had discussed exactly this last night. He thinks Bishop would be a solid back up that could toss in 20 or so starts a year behind Dubnyk. I agree with him.

Watching Dubnyks play, he seems at his best when he doesn't appear to be moving. He has a great economy of motion and uses his big frame extremely well. His shutout streak ended at just over 166 minutes.

I am comfortable with him going forward even more so when the defence in front of him improves either via trade or when Klefbom, Gernat, Maricin etc....arrive.

Koto 04-02-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McClelland (Post 63004073)
We have been outshot heavily almost every gam, so the save % not telling the whole truth. He has been up and down as you would expect for his first year as no 1 and with our defence taking days off.

I think dubie will be fine in a couple of years, but im not against to sign a nhl ready top prospect goalie either as a backup if he doesnt turns to be a legit no1 goalie.

he plays infront of the one of the worst defences in the league so his numbers are inflated?





what a joke. :help:

McClutchen 04-02-2013 11:29 AM

Over the last 2 games, where The Oil have played a much improved structurally sound game, get the puck out of their own zone better, and haven’t spent over 40 mins in their own end, Duby has looked a lot better, every goalie in the league will struggle when they have no one playing for them in front of them. All of sudden we are playing slightly better D, and look how much more relaxed and confident he is. From the 9 game road trip till now, it’s been a tale of two teams, which means it’ll be a tale of two goalies. I am not sure on numbers, but from an on lookers view, it seems the quality of scoring chances have decreased, which means less work load, less chance for glaring holes.

You look at a goalie like Ryan Miller, who was all world not too long ago, he looks like a shell of his former self, put him on a better defensive team, he will be back to what he is. No goalie is expected to carry a team that has played this bad in front of him. With a good team. Duby can be a perfect goalie. He is big, somewhat athletic, makes big saves. His lack of late game clutch saves is what he really needs to improve. All in all, high amount of shot against, is going to inflate anything, the real tell well be when we give up 25-30 shots a night, if he sustains it, not 35-30.

actionjackson 04-02-2013 11:50 AM

The Boo birds have disappeared on this one...this thread would have been a disaster a month ago...everyone would have been calling for his head...but a few wins and no "soft" goals and the bipolar nature of HF posters have him as "all good" now.

The last few games the Oilers have played very solid defensively and there have been a lot of perimeter shots rather than almost everything from out front and in the blue paint.

Dubnyk looks calm, relaxed and confident and that is a really good thing for this push to the playoffs.

I have been on this guy's side all year, if there is a better option in the off-season then take it...but right now he is proving himself tough to replace!!!

I hope to see him patrolling the crease for years to come.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Joseppi 04-02-2013 11:50 AM

I'm just thrilled the Oilers have finally developed a goalie capable of playing at a high level in the NHL.

When was the last time that happened? Fuhr?

Jimmi Jenkins 04-02-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseppi (Post 63014795)
I'm just thrilled the Oilers have finally developed a goalie capable of playing at a high level in the NHL.

When was the last time that happened?

Would Bill Ranford count or no?

Joseppi 04-02-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 63014947)
Would Bill Ranford count or no?

Even though Boston drafted him, I'd say the Oilers did the brunt of the work developing.

Yeah, Ranford.

jmoss45 04-02-2013 11:55 AM

Dubbie has not only held us in games this year by making the routine saves and minimizing weak goals against, but has also stolen us a couple.

Great starter, and I hope he gets better.


Still, if Tambo was smart he'd rid himself of Bulin and bring in a younger, 1B type goalie. (Bishop ideally).

actionjackson 04-02-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koto (Post 63010553)
he plays infront of the one of the worst defences in the league so his numbers are inflated?





what a joke. :help:


I bet Kiprusoff would have something to say about this statement right now!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reimer 04-02-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McClelland (Post 63004073)
We have been outshot heavily almost every gam, so the save % not telling the whole truth. He has been up and down as you would expect for his first year as no 1 and with our defence taking days off.

I think dubie will be fine in a couple of years, but im not against to sign a nhl ready top prospect goalie either as a backup if he doesnt turns to be a legit no1 goalie.

You missed April Fools by a whole day but I'll forgive you.

BleedingOil 04-02-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McClelland (Post 63004073)
We have been outshot heavily almost every gam, so the save % not telling the whole truth. He has been up and down as you would expect for his first year as no 1 and with our defence taking days off.

I think dubie will be fine in a couple of years, but im not against to sign a nhl ready top prospect goalie either as a backup if he doesnt turns to be a legit no1 goalie.

I think because of this his GAA is inflated, I see that more of a team stat than SV%

shoop 04-02-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderbore (Post 63003723)
OK, OK, if they would ask me i'd say the guy has earned another chance to prove himself next year. still suspicious about what he can do for us on a long run.

This.

Dubnyk played well last night, hence the rah rah thread today.

The high save percentage is partly a result of Dubnyk's poor stickhandling and rebound control.

He is a big goalie who is tough to beat on routine shots. He is much more vulnerable when teams get him moving before taking their shots.

Last season he had a phenomenal run at the end of the season to push the team to 29th overall. This playoff run will be a chance to see if he can play well at the end of the season when the games count.

In the off-season the Oilers need to pick up a Ben Bishop type who is a solid backup and could be a starter in the league.

Koto 04-02-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoop (Post 63017803)
This.

Dubnyk played well last night, hence the rah rah thread today.

The high save percentage is partly a result of Dubnyk's poor stickhandling and rebound control.

He is a big goalie who is tough to beat on routine shots. He is much more vulnerable when teams get him moving before taking their shots.

Last season he had a phenomenal run at the end of the season to push the team to 29th overall. This playoff run will be a chance to see if he can play well at the end of the season when the games count.

In the off-season the Oilers need to pick up a Ben Bishop type who is a solid backup and could be a starter in the league.

hahahahahaha so now his numbers are inflated because he sucks.





what a joke. :help:

MrBigglesworth 04-02-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokenhead (Post 63001617)
Damn, how about Dubey huh? I've never been a big detractor or defender of Dubey but those stats are impressive. He is tied with Lundquist and Vokoun for 7th in the league.
I still don't think he has shown himself to be elite, but those are high quality numbers. Lets hope it continues.

He's 4th in the league if you discount the guys who have played less than half their teams games. Impressive for a guy on a team sitting outside the playoffs and behind a mediocre defense.

IMO he's made it clear that shopping for an upgrade shouldn't be a consideration right now. Despite the strong goalie market, there's no one out there that comes close to making sense when you consider ability (clear upgrade?) + cost to acquire + cap hit/term.

actionjackson 04-02-2013 12:33 PM

B]The high save percentage is partly a result of Dubnyk's poor stickhandling and rebound control. [/B]

Is this a backhanded way of saying that he sucks and you will be all over him when he lets another "soft" goal in?!?!

:sarcasm:

actionjackson 04-02-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actionjackson (Post 63018729)
B]The high save percentage is partly a result of Dubnyk's poor stickhandling and rebound control. [/B]

Is this a backhanded way of saying that he sucks and you will be all over him when he lets another "soft" goal in?!?!

:sarcasm:

well...I messed up that quote...but I think you get the point!!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.